Bad PET scan - need input - Zaltrap, radiation, etc.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Bad PET scan - need input - Zaltrap, radiation, etc.

Postby NWgirl » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:00 pm

I got my PET scan results yesterday and they weren't great. The spots in my lungs that have been stable for the past couple of years have all grown and a new one has shown up. There are also suspicious areas around some lymph nodes. I'm waiting to get a bone scan to be sure it hasn't spread to my bones, since my ribs have been sore lately. I'm also waiting to meet with a thoracic surgeon to discuss options. I may also want to meet with a radiation doctor - not sure yet; we'll see what the bone scan and the surgeon have to say. My oncologist is "thinking" about chemo options. I've been on Xeloda, Avastin and Erbitux (not all at once) the past couple of years and have had a good response up until now. I tried a couple of rounds of FOLFIRI and it was hard on me, so we set that drug aside for the time being. I may decide to revisit FOLFIRI to at least try it. With the colostomy, the bathroom problems are much easier to manage with that drug.

I saw Allie's post about Zaltrap - and several of you having had luck with it. If you don't mind being repetitive, would you mind sharing your experiences with me on this thread? I will search other posts as well - but I haven't kept up on the Zaltrap chatter since (until now), it didn't really apply to me. I'll go back and read Traveler's posts as well as I know he's been going down a similar path for some time now.

So anyone who is dealing with this or has dealt with it recently - i.e. lung spots/lymph nodes - with a recurrence; I would love to hear from you - especially if you've found something that is working for you. Has anyone revisited Avastin after discontinuing it previously? That was an easy drug for me and I thought since I've been off it for a year, maybe we should reconsider that one.

This is the worst place to be in right now - knowing I have a problem but not having a plan. I need a plan - and I'm working on it - just hoping to gather some more information here so I can talk to my oncologist about options when we meet next week.

And yes, I'm still going to Call on Congress. Leaving next Friday. Surgery, radiation, chemo - bring it on; but not until I get home. I will feel better though if I can go to D.C. with a plan. I just need a plan. I told my friend even if the plan is "you've exhausted all options - get your things in order" (I'm not there just yet); but at least it's a PLAN!!!! :x
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

sadysue

Re: Bad PET scan - need input - Zaltrap, radiation, etc.

Postby sadysue » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Belle...you are truly a warrior and I admire your strength and courage. I have no helpful words or advice but want you to know I will be praying for you. I had my one-year post chemo scan last night - talk about scanxiety. I have learned the true meaning of that word. Good luck and stay strong!
Mary Ann
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

juliej

Postby juliej » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Belle, okay you've been given some bad news. Is the game over yet? Hell, no!

I'm just like you about needing a plan. All my docs know this about me and they make sure I have one as soon as possible. It makes me so much calmer to know what's going on and what we're going to do about it.

I wish lung things weren't so damned enigmatic. You live in the Northwest, right? Lots of moss, mildew, and mold is "waking up" right now because of the warmer temps. If it was just a little growth in your old spots, I'd say that might be the cause. But that new spot has me worried. Hopefully, the thoracic surgeon will look over the scan and give his opinion. I trust a thoracic surgeon's opinion more than an oncologist simply because he/she deals only with the lungs and has a better feel for cancer-on-the-move versus inflammation and granulomas. As far as Avastin, at the last ASCO they presented solid evidence that revisiting Avastin helps even when the patient has failed a first-line treatment that included Avastin. I'd definitely talk to your doc about it, especially since it was an easy drug for you.

So while I can't help with Zaltrap or lympth nodes or recurrence, know that I'm in your corner, worrying about this with you. I love that you're still going to Call on Congress! It says so much about you and your vital approach to life. I hope you get a plan soon. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs to you,
Julie
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Dearest Belle,

With you in thoughts, prayers and spirit! Kick ass in DC, then return home and kick that cancer ass to the moon, and beyond. Am anxiously awaiting hearing your plan. Admire you as a woman, and you as a warrior, more than I can say.

Love, Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Belle,

I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you. You've been an inspiration to all of us. You're right, it's much easier to deal with all of this with a plan!

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Belle, I just want to let you know I am thinking of you. I'm hoping they get a plan soon, and you kick cancer's butt.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

vancouver eve

Postby vancouver eve » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Belle, there is still options, such as radiation or surgery. I was informed that radiation can be done and surgery after if necessary. Ask your Onc.? Chemo does not seem to be an answer for a cure.

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Belle, so sorry to hear about your scan results. Give em' hell in D.C. and when you get back home get your plan going and fight the beast! I've no experience with Zaltrap. I do have experience with lung thangies. Used SBRT on mine which I've written about before. PM me if you have any further questions.

Best to you,

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

novascotia

Postby novascotia » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Belle,I'm so sorry for the bad news from your scan. I have been reading all of your posts over the years and have admired your spirit. I really don't have any advice for you except go say that the current round of folfiri with avastin has been easier than the last. I think probably that is due to the almost year without chemo that I have had. You may find the same. I hope you get a plan in place soon and that you find some peace of mind before your Call on Congress.
Carm
Dx June 05, Stage IV mets liver,lung age 45
Resected all-12 folfiri
NED Apr 06–Mar 09
Apr- 09- Dec 10 radiation,hysterectomy, 6 Folfox
May 11 PET.. Mass in pelvis
July 11 HIPEC
9 folfiri to Feb 12
MRI June 12 tumor on bladder/ureter, piriformis muscle

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:19 pm

I did Zaltrapltrap for three cycles. While on it, I was "stable.". Taken off due th GI Bbleed. I was talking to onc at MDAnderson yesterday. The irinotecan induced diarrhea created inflammation of colon lining. One of parts of Zaltrap interferes with healing tissue...so my GI lining would not heal itself. So...if I could have somehow avoided or prevented the diarrhea, maybe I could have continued the Zaltrap.

BTW, this onc is not yet convinced of what place Zaltrap will have in future treatment choices. May be of some use, for sure, but he doesn't believe we know yet.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm

NWgirl wrote: ...- bring it on....

I believe that is the Belle we all know and love,
and it is certainly the one who personally inspired me to steal the "Don't retreat...ReLoad" mantra for her :mrgreen:

Every Journey of one thousand miles begins with a single step, but dammit Belle...
don't know how many more "first steps" we gotta keep taking here....
I just DO know in my heart, without any doubts at all...

we WILL keep taking first steps,
we WILL stay strong on the Journey,
we WILL not retreat,
we WILL reload,
we WILL swing chickens,
we WILL send prayers,
we WILL keep living life scan to scan,
we WILL ......we just WILL,
and we WILL all be here to do it with you, every step of the way.

You know where I am right now, on another's Journey, but my I-FIVES are burning up the Interstate for you.
I am always in Harmony with you.

If Colorectal BUTT needs kicking...you got a buddy, and a friend forever..so let's get Kickin' !
That's the plan.

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Belle - your cancer should be afraid...very afraid!!!! I am sure that once you get back from Call on Congress and your docs roll out "the plan",,,your kick butt attitude will send that cancer running!!!!!!!!

Sending you lots of strong thoughts.....
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the support. It means the world to me - I mean that sincerely. No call from the docs today - so I guess I'll be bugging them tomorrow. Right now I'm just sooooooo tired of it all. :cry:
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Belle,
I'll admit to not always reading, or re-reading signatures, but a post from you about a bad PET scan caught me off-guard. I hope this comes off as complementary as I mean it, but you write with a confidence of someone who has fought the battle and won, not like someone who is still having to fight. May that strength and confidence you have - in yourself, in your loved ones, and in your God - carry you through Plans B, C, D, and whatever path you choose now.
Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi Belle,

This is not what I was expecting....I'm sorry to hear this, cancer sucks! I really hope that you get a plan in place real soon. Thinking of you and sending you love, hugs and strength to get over this bump in the road. Hang in there.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”