Scary (From my Lymphoma Board) re: Anti-Oxidants

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lara239

Re: Scary (From my Lymphoma Board) re: Anti-Oxidants

Postby Lara239 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Busymamaof3 wrote:My oncologist has said no antioxidants (including green tea) from the beginning. Crazy because I used to drink green tea like crazy and take tons of vitamins trying to be healthy and perhaps was feeding this cancer. I do take supplements prescribed by a naturopath but none are antioxidants. It is a balancing act for sure between what will help and what can hurt. So far my CEA is falling consistently so my supplements and chemo are hopefully working together just fine.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. It IS a balancing act and very complex unfortunately. naturpaths/herbalists/alternative doctors come in many forms. If you find a good one what KNOWS how to work with chemo....this is the key. Sounds like you found this. Most do not understand chemo and will try to give you a protocol that completely interacts (we had his experience infortunately with our first one) so it is important to do research on EVERYTHING your taking and run it by your oncologist too. Our oncologist approves everything my husband is taking.
wife of DH (age 41) DX 8/3/2012 with 10 cm tumor in decending colon
pre-surgery CEA 4.4, no spread to other organs
8/22 - resection DX stage 3c 9/44 positive nodes
10/3/2012 CEA 1.3
Lynch test negative, tumor IS MSI-H
Folfox 10/3/2012 w/Yance protocol

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Lara239 wrote: ...it is about time we had a different approach.

But it isn't really different, is it? The different approach is the genetic approach, but Watson is not on board with that, and wants everyone to go back to clarifying biological pathways and experimenting with various agents to alter those pathways. That's how chemo works now. (I know nothing about biology, but that's the impression I got from Watson's article.)
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:49 pm

What I see is..........

may undermine

according to a hypothesis

probably should not be taking

reasonable to suggest holding off

strongly hints that their general incurability more than occasionally arises from high antioxidant levels

His paper also suggested that "the time has come to seriously ask whether antioxidant use much more likely causes than prevents cancer."

no trials of antiantioxidant strategies have indicated more than a modest effect

"Unless we can find ways of reducing antioxidant levels, late-stage cancer 10 years from now will be as incurable as it is today,"
And yet he says………….. ‘patients don't need to avoid antioxidant-containing fruits and vegetables as part of a healthy diet’.

I don't take extra Vit. A, E, Selenium other than what is in my multi vitamin, but I'm not convinced that anti oxidants CAUSE cancer.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Four plus years ago when I started therapy my oncologist had a long talk with me about how vitamins and antioxidant supplements would inhibit the benefits of chemotherapy and he specifically forbid them except as approved by him. I took vitamin D3 (and still do) and I receive B-12 injections (mainly because of post-ileostomy absorption issues) but that is all. Food source antioxidants and vitamins were fine - real foods, not fortified.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”