Bag Jugling

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bagman

Bag Jugling

Postby Bagman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 pm

How many of you are adept at bag juggling, you know what I mean, one's desperate attempts to stay ahead of a full ostomy bag as it slips loose from its moorings and heads for the floor with all of the horror that that connotes? It'll certainly get your attention if it happens as you are waking-up in the morning and have just put your feet on the floor by the side of the bed, eh? I'd recommend a "full Nelson" in such circumstances, that is to say quickly grasping the bag at its connective end with the right hand while fishing about feverishly for the spigot end, all in the hope of arresting its descent before the cursing starts. One can only begin to imagine the nature of the product liability claims arising from such episodes. Does anyone have any case law? :D

BrownBagger

Re: Bag Jugling

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Great imagery there, Bagman. My biggest fear was always that the clip was going to fail, and I'd wind up with a lap full of bag filling. Just one more thing to get paranoid about.

How long you been on that thing, now, anyway?
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Bagman

Postby Bagman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi Brownbagger!

If I didn't laugh about these things, I'd cry, Brownbagger. :D

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer last March. While the lesion didn't seem to have grown through the bowel wall, it had found its way down into my anus. That, together with the fact that I'd had a long history of ulcerative colitis, made the next step clear: A total procto-colectomy. I was operated on March 26th and a few days later got the good news that the cancer had been confined - no adjacent tissue or lymph node involvement - as was suspected at first. I was staged as IIA and consider myself one very lucky guy from what I now know of the presentation rates for rectal cancer. Of the costs, the permanent ileostomy is the one of which I'm most frequently reminded, of course. And the bag, always full of exciting potential. :D

I've used both one and two-piece bags and have had accidents with both types. As I think I mentioned once before, I found using the paste with the one piece bags a bit daunting. I prefer the two-piece but if they come even close to overfilling, you're in for a juggling episode should they pull loose. I have ten cats and keeping them from satisfying their curiosity about a failed juggle is a challenge in its own right. But what I find most problematic is a squirting stoma as the juggle proceeds. Compared to that, the cats are childsplay. :D

I do think its wise to keep things in perspective about such things as ostomy bags, however. They are a small price to pay for your life (he says as he cleans a brown mass off the side of the mattress). :D

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Oh wow, I hope your day gets better from here. The other day I went to empty my bag (1 piece w/velcro closure) and realized that when I changed the bag that morning, I hadn't closed the bottom of it. :shock: Fortunately for me, Erbitux causes me constipation - so my output is very slow and thick - so it was, uh, just sitting there in the bag. I dodged a bullet with that one. I know with an ileostomy you don't have the advantage of thick output - it's always liquidy.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting it on the animals as I would worry about the animals making a run for it and getting poo all over the house. I bet ostomates are the only people who think of these scenarios. :roll:
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Bagman

Postby Bagman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi NWgirl,

I've always been a little uncomfortable with the velcro strip closure. I've had mine come loose on a number of occasions. Started using a heavy clamp-like paper clip on the velcro to avoid gushing down into my pants and that has solved the problem on that end of things, at least. Now the problem is at the other end. If I've had a bag on for more than just a couple of days and I eat a bit too much before bedtime, I'll wake with a full bag tugging on the rest of the apparatus. Occasionally, it'll pull loose as I try to get out of bed. Its those moments I thought I'd satirize in my initial post. There's just nothing that concentrates the attention more than a full but disconnected ostomy bag under the influence of gravity. :D

You're right, who would understand such silliness except someone else with a stoma.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Since you're using a two-piece system, have you considered getting a bigger bag for nighttime? You know, a 12-inch model that straps to your leg--the Thanksgiving Day Special Ostomy Appliance.

OK, I'm kidding about that, but I suspect you could get a supply of higher-capacity bags. The only hassle would be what to do with it during the day, but washing out a bag to use again is going to be a lot less mess and hassle than cleaning up after one that pops at night.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Amy14760
Facebook Username: Amylynneehmann@gmail.com

Postby Amy14760 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 pm

You guys crack me up!! I needed a good laugh today too.

I too have cats and they wake me up several times a night to go in and out. So, I get several dumps in throughout the night and bag never gets too full. However, there was that one time I had pea soup and the bag almost popped from all the gas that resulted. It was like a over blown balloon. I use the colonplast concave with velcro fastener and only seem to have problems if my pants are too tight around the waist causing a blockage. Even then, it's just a leakage problem that I can usually detect right away. It is somewhat embarrassing though when you have to excuse yourself during a meeting with the boss because you're leaking poo.

The most annoying thing for me is the morning bag change....the stoma is clean and your ready for the new bag, but poo just keeps running out down your leg. So, you grab more wipes and try to control the flow long enough to attach the new bag. Somehow you get the new bag in place in those few seconds of stoma pause. I don't even try to shower without the bag anymore....darn poo really likes to run in a hot shower.

All in all, the ileostoma hasn't been that bad. At least I've had a few good laughs over it.

Amy

PS - Brownbagger - where in CNY are you from? Olean is home for me.
Jun 12: Rectal cancer - Stage IIIC pT2N2 (15/19 pos nodes) - age 49
Jul 12: Resection w/ileostoma
Aug 12: 6 weeks rad w/Xeloda
Sep-Jan 13: FOLFOX - 6 rounds
Jan 13: clean scan
Mar 13: Reversal/Port out
Aug 13: Clean scope
Currently NED

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Amy, I'm in Clinton, which is just south of Utica. Olean is nice. I know people from Allegany (sp).
Eric, 58

eitter

Postby eitter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Well I have had this happen in private and waiting for the day when it happens in public! Anyone have this happen.....

I wear a two piece system and have a colostomy, so you take the bag off to check things out and and a rogue missile goes flying like it was launched from a slingshot! Lands on the ground and rolls away! Just cant wait for the day that happens in a public stall and it rolls to the person next to you! Hence why I am a bit more careful in public!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

eitter wrote:Well I have had this happen in private and waiting for the day when it happens in public! Anyone have this happen.....

I wear a two piece system and have a colostomy, so you take the bag off to check things out and and a rogue missile goes flying like it was launched from a slingshot! Lands on the ground and rolls away! Just cant wait for the day that happens in a public stall and it rolls to the person next to you! Hence why I am a bit more careful in public!

Whoa! Holy crap shooters! I've never heard of that - but then I use a 1 piece!

Thanks for the laughs all, I needed them! Note - I am laughing WITH YOU - not AT YOU!!!!! :lol:
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Bagman

Postby Bagman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Amy,

"However, there was that one time I had pea soup and the bag almost popped from all the gas that resulted."

Ah, yes, Amy, the gas filled bag, the one that deceives you into thinking that if you just burp it, all will be well. Sure, you just keep believing that! :D

Why just two weeks ago as I sat on the side of the bed proud as punch of the fact that the act of rising hadn't provoked yet another - how shall we say - incident, I confidently unhooked the top portion of the pouch to release some trapped gas only to have the weight of the damned thing loosen the rest of it altogether. Sad to say, juggling was precluded this time. Inside of two seconds there on the floor puddled into the thick pile carpet was about a half quart of stinking brown malevolence. And, as the cats approached out of curiosity, the stoma squirted insanely onto my leg and the side of the mattress. I finally had things fully under control two rolls of paper towel and about two hours latter. I know, it was God punishing me. :D

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 pm

And to think I experienced all that sh!t, in just the 3 weeks I had one, not to mention the dehydration, that landed me in the hospital. I actually never made it to the bed. I was sooo confident in the whole situation, I never made it past the living room couch. At least "it" was leather and could be cleaned easier :shock: I never had anything close to solid, most of the time it was green, and at least that matched the sofa :roll: I had an obstruction, and during the fix- it surgery, it was decided an immediate reversal, was probably the best thing.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”