Swallowing difficulty before chemo infusion

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
some

Swallowing difficulty before chemo infusion

Postby some » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 am

I've read some things on here since I know we are supposed to search first, but didn't find a similar case.

Mark said he's been having trouble swallowing the last couple/three days. He had infusion today so this would have popped up 10 days after the last infusion completed. He takes protonics typically but forgot today. When he first started chemo they had him on Prilosec but pulled that when he started the protonics. Perhaps they are the same.

Could it be due to a cold as well? The family has had a low grade cold the past week which was worst in our 3 year old. Nasal congestion, sore throat from dry mouth because of stuffed nose.

My sister and I have trouble swallowing and the docs say that is typically related to acid reflux. I'm hoping that is all this is and can be fixed with med adjustment. Mark is going to call his oncologist tomorrow to be safe, but was hoping y'all could shed some light.

Also, been wondering why 5FU needs to go over 46 hours. Anyone know? Is this the most effective? What is the mechanism of 5FU?

Thanks everyone.

Serena
DH (age 41) diag Stage IV mets to peritoneum - July 2012 (undetectable on CT PET or MRI)
Folfox 7 & Avastin started July 2012 CEA, CA 19-9 not indicators
HIPEC surgery 1/18/13
Folfiri/Erbitux - March 2013
Lots of prayers.

gsymes

Re: Swallowing difficulty before chemo infusion

Postby gsymes » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:36 am

I am on my 7th treatment and the mouth sores get worse each time, with a sore throat included. It tends to hit me at different times. I take treatments every two weeks and have had the mouth effect become bad for few days any where in that time span. The common cold does not help, I just got over one and the throat was raw for a week.
As to why the pump I thinks its the 5FU dosage recommendion, instead of going every day for two days the pump allows you to get on with a semi normal life. Hopefully the oncologist can explain it better. Greg

SMR

Re: Swallowing difficulty before chemo infusion

Postby SMR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 pm

My understanding is that 5fu is metabolized by the body very quickly, so the pump gives a continuous infusion to keep it in your system. I'm sure that is over-simplified, but that is what I have learned. Sorry I can't be of any help on the other issue, but I hope he is feeling better soon and if the problem persists, please contact your onc!
DH DX 10/11 st IV unkown prmry
FFOX 12/11
HIPEC 3/12
FFOX 5/12
7/12 FFIRI
12/12 xeloda
1/13 resection
2/13 FFIRI
4/13 5FU/Avastin
9/13 recurrence, failed surgery
Abdominal fistula
11/13 gemzar, heart attack