12 cm polyp removed...that's all I know

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tuffcowboy
Facebook Username: marilyn.mainini

12 cm polyp removed...that's all I know

Postby tuffcowboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:19 am

Just had a routine colonoscopy yesterday and woke up to find out they removed this huge polyp. Don't know where the location was. Had no sypmtoms. How long will I have to wait for the biopsy results?? Is it a good sign they could take it out non-surgically?

tuffcowboy

Re: 12 cm polyp removed...that's all I know

Postby tuffcowboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:25 am

Has anyone had one this large that was not cancer???

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

12 cm is nearly 5 inches; that isn't a polyp, it's a very large tumor, and they didn't remove it 'non-surgically' during a colonoscopy.

More likely it was a 12 MM (millimeter) [about 1/2"] polyp removed by laproscopic surgery (blade and stuff at the end of a remote-control cable).

The onc should call you with biopsy results within a week or so.

HTH, Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:27 pm

I agree with Rick, a 12 cm polyp would not be removed, it would be a biopsy situation. A removed polyp is generally nothing much to worry about. I would continue regular colonoscopy's though, as I am sure will be recommended.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Certainly 12mm and approx one-half inch which is quite big enough! If your GI doc sent you home with the scope report (mine does) read it again. You should have results in about a week. Good luck!
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

tuffcowboy

Postby tuffcowboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Two nurses and my Dr all told me 12 cm

elise

Postby elise » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 pm

I thought the exact same thing as Rick. No way they pulled out a 12cm tumour during a colonoscopy. 12mm would make sense.

My smallest tumour was between 1-2cm (10-20mm) and it was cancer, thought it wasn't obvious, I had to wait for the biopsy. It could have easily been nothing. The larger was 5cm (50mm) and was also cancer. That one was very obvious to the point where the surgeon who did my colonoscopy told me I most likely had cancer.

Hopefully for you it's just a 12mm and nothing at all! You'll know in 5-10 days or so. I've got my fingers crossed for you :D
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

tuffcowboy

Postby tuffcowboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Well thank you all for your input. Im definitely not waiting a week to hear anything. Im going in Monday and ask them point blank exactly how large it was and was it removed or did they do a biopsy; however, I am certain they said very large 12 cm polyp removed and sent off for pathology. I was bewildered about how they removed it and I feel no after effects so I did call Blue Cross 24/7 Nurse helpline and she told me that the colonoscopy scope would be able to suction it out and I told her the size also that I had been told. Im really scared. If it is 12 cm, am I certain to have cancer??? Has anyone had one this large that was benign??

Daisymae

Postby Daisymae » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi, I'm w the others, polyp that size wouldn't be removed via scope. I had a 9 cm (about 3.5 in) polyp removed via lower anterior resection which took out about 15 cm total. Min was pre-cancerous as per 2 pathology reports so anything is possible. Wishing you good luck.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:12 am

tuffcowboy,
I'm with the others - I can't believe that there is any possibility a 12 cm polyp could be removed during a colonoscopy.
First of all, the probability of bleeding would be too high and since the GI doc isn't a surgeon and likely as not you didn't have the procedure done in a hospital, etc., the risk of complications would be just TOO high for a GI to remove it - or I should state TRY to remove it during a colonoscopy procedure.
Secondly, you say that the medical professionals (nurses/doc) told you this but when was this that they told you?? Were you still sedated? You may not have thought you were under the influence of drugs - heck most of us feel that we're 100% alert/awake, but the reality is the drugs cloud your brain which is why you're not supposed to sign documents and/or drive for 24 hours. Most colonoscopy centers prefer to tell the patient the results in the company of another person - just to have someone else there who isn't under the influence of the drugs.
I had a 4 X 6 cm tumor and the docs wouldn't even have THOUGHT about removing it during my initial colonoscopy. In addition, a polyp that big to be removed completely and successfully would have had to have had a good sized stalk. Is it possible the nurses/doc told you that the polyp was 12 cm in?? You stated that you didn't know where the polyp was located and it is very common for the doc/report to state that the polyp was located "x distance in".
You need to take a deep breath and exercise some patience because until that path report comes in, there truly is nothing you can do about it. As for whether or not the polyp is cancerous - again, you're going to have to wait. My friend had a very tiny polyp - was told by the GI after the procedure (I was in the room with her) that she shouldn't worry - it was small, yada yada....only to have the very tiny polyp come back with high grade dysplasia. No reliable professional will tell you without the pathology report whether or not a polyp is or isn't cancerous. They're more likely to tell you that a polyp/tumor 'appears' to be cancerous but should NEVER tell someone that the size determines whether or not the growth is/isn't cancerous.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:30 pm

tuffcowboy wrote: Im going in Monday and ask them point blank exactly how large it was and was it removed or did they do a biopsy; however, I am certain they said very large 12 cm polyp removed and sent off for pathology.

It is always best to be proactive in your own health care, so I am hoping everything turns out well on your visit Monday, just be aware that the actual pathology report may take a little longer... but keep pushing for results.

Not wanting to add more speculation to this topic BUT... has anyone considered the fact that a long narrow "cylindrical" polyp could be 12 cm long, not very big around, and have a narrow pedunculated stalk which could be easily "snippable" during a c-scope ... ?????
( I've done surgeries where that is exactly what I removed from GIT, nasopharynx or ear canals, size proportional to cats and dogs body size, of course. )
So, instead of assuming that tuffcowboy heard wrong...... maybe we don't yet have all the facts ? JMO.
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

msbeowulf

Postby msbeowulf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:39 pm

I was wondering that very thing, CRguy, but being so new to the forum, I resisted posting until now. We can certainly hope that it was a "piece of spaghetti," so to speak. The idea of a 12 cm sessile polyp blows my mind. Mine two years ago was nearly 4 cm, and my GI doc warned me in advance that there was a chance she wouldn't be able to snare it with a scope.

Patti
59 yrs old
Right hemicolectomy on Oct. 2, 2012, to avoid potential malignancy from SSA
Searcy, AR

msbeowulf

Postby msbeowulf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Any news, Tuffcowboy?
59 yrs old
Right hemicolectomy on Oct. 2, 2012, to avoid potential malignancy from SSA
Searcy, AR

Quister

Postby Quister » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Stay calm. Mine was 4cm by 11 cm. they called it "giganticus".
Bowel resection and anal reconstruction.
No cancer. No colostomy.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”