Wives of husbands with Stage IV Colon Freaking Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mojo

Re: Wives of husbands with Stage IV Colon Freaking Cancer

Postby Mojo » Tue May 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Lisa, I would think he would be urinating. Make sure he is urinating some, check his feet for swelling, watch his temperature. He may have been a little dehydrated going in? If any questions call the onco nurse or dr. people all react differently to meds.
Melanie, sorry about the scare and glad he got antibiotics and home now.
Sending love and prayers to all.
colon cancer stage 3 2n0mets 2002
cancer returns march 2010
emerg brain surgery, chemo may 2010 sterotactic radiation april 2010

progression of tumors march 2011 new chemo camptosar leukovorin 5fu avastin
Kenny age 58/died 11/21/11

arose428
Facebook Username: arose428

Postby arose428 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Hey Everyone,
Sorry i haven't been on in so long. It has just been crazy!! Last Saturday night my husbands friends had a celebration of life event for him. 200 people showed up. It was amazing . We were suppose to sign our new lease today in Portsmouth NH, but i guess it wasn't meant to be. Freddy went in to hospital Sunday night with bowel obstruction. The cancer has spread and the last chemo is no longer working. They were thinking about surgery or stent but way to risky. They were just going to send him home today if he ate a regular meal and made a normal bowel movement but hasn't yet. Im so confused the night before he didn't stop going after the colon prep kicked in but the xray was the same. So i dont know what will happen tomorrow. I just want him to come home now so we can enjoy what time we have left at home . This is my first night home since Sunday , I feel a little guilty not spending the night but really wanted to tuck my girls in to bed tonight and im just exhausted. Not to the point that i can sleep but exhausted . Im sure you all know what i mean by that.
Anyways trying to catch up on reading everyones post. Thinking of you all.
Niki- enjoy every minute of your trip!! I know you will :)

Love to you all,
Wendy
Husband age 50 Diagnosed -Kidney Cancer Feb 2010
Kidney removed
Diagnosed Aug 2010 Colon cancer stage 1V spread to abdomen
No surgery can be done.
Chemo since September 2010
Currently on 5fu
Passed away peacefully at home on June 3, 2012

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri May 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Wendy, so good to hear from you! So sorry about the cancers spreading. Sometimes you have to make life as normal as you can, tucking girls in probably helped you more than anything. Celebration of life was a wonderful thing from friends! Praying he gets to come home soon, and for your strength!

las

Postby las » Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Wendy,

Good to hear from you. I hope your husband is doing well now that he has been in the hospital a few days. Praying he comes home soon feeling better. You need to take time for yourself and the girls during the time he is in the hosptial, that is about the only time you really probably get to feel a little relief to know that he is in good hands. I know being with him at the hosptial is comforting to both of you, and that is good that you could be with him, but don't feel guilty for taking the night to tuck your girls in. what an amazing party, 200 people .... WOW.... I hope that helped cheer his spirits up, I bet its great to be back home in a town where he is surrounded by family and friends.

Melanie,
So glad to hear that your hubby is doing better, what a scare. I feel alot like you in terms of you never know what is going on when they start to feel bad, is it the cancer spreading more and hurting, is the pain caused by the chemo drugs, or its it something else. it freaks me out to know what to do. Thanks for chiming in with Terry's experiences on irinotecan as it's good to hear what others go thru.

Mojo,

Thanks too, I watched him most of the night, his bowels started to thicken up and he feet looked good, no temps either. He went to the diabetic doctor this week and everything seems good for now, they were impressed with this blood sugars being more in line. That is about the only good news lately we have had.

One last question for any of you with husbands on Irinotecan. I have searched on the forum about abdominal pain, cramps etc. Did read that I guess this is fairly normal. Kevin was almost in tears tonight with severe abdominal pain. He did vomit twice today, once about 4:30 am and the other around 2:45pm today. He slept till about 2:15pm and I think not having any food in his stomach could have caused him to get sick, he has been taking the nausea meds, but i think some time lapsed with him sleeping and I was away at work. The pain today in his stomach was unbearable he said, I forced him to take a morphine tonight as he tends to just deal with the pain. Did your husbands experience any of this abdominal pain? Kevin was infused on Monday, and was doing great till today. Now it seems he is going downhill.

I pray that tomorrow is better for him, I thought this chemo cocktail was going to be easier they way the week started off, but who knows.

Lisa
Lisa
Fiance DX 6/27/11 CC IV w/liver mets,adrenal glnd,pet.
7/25/11 folfox
8/2/11 surg.colon wall prefor.no removal of tumor
8/24/11 folfox ,3/12 5FU, 5/12 irinitecan failed, 7/12 didn't qualify regronfenib
8/13/12 Hospice, 8/18/12 married, died 9/10/2012

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri May 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Kenny did quite well with the irinotecan. No pain, but he had chemo on tues , wore 5fu bag home went back on thurs and had a 1 liter normal saline iv fluid. I think that helped most , the fluids. I am hoping he feels better.

MelanieB

Postby MelanieB » Fri May 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Aw, Lisa. I'm sorry to hear about Kevin's pain. Poor guy. Terry just had a bit of abdominal pain now and again. Feel for you. So hard to watch them suffer.

I have a question for you ladies too about Folfox. We had no idea starting it that it takes so much longer than Folfuri. We were at the cancer clinic (including travel time) for 6 hours!! It takes an extra hour just to give him a mixture of calcium and magnesium (or potassium...can't remember) to help with the neuropathy. He's had his 4th round of Folfox now and the tingling etc. is getting worse. What was your husbands experience on it? Any tips?

Hope you all can enjoy some rest this weekend.

Melanie
Husband (48) diagnosed Stage 4 May 19, 2011
Surgery to remove tumour
Mets to liver, lungs and lymphs
Completed 15 rounds Folfiri and Avastin
Started with Folfox 9 rounds
Aug. 27 stopped working
Given 6-7 weeks
Went to heaven Dec. 19, 2012

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat May 19, 2012 12:40 am

Hi Melanie, I can't sleep again, o I saw your post. Kenny had 12 folfox chemo before neuropathy got so bad he couldn't do anymore it took 6 hrs for him too, he had calcium/magnesium too. Kenny wore thick socks and gloves all the time cause he was so cold and his hands and feet hurt and were so sensitive. Some people say b6 helps but I would ask oncologist if it's ok. Good luk

MelanieB

Postby MelanieB » Sat May 19, 2012 10:43 am

Hi Mojo! Thanks for the tips! Wearing gloves in the summer is going to be weird though. :)
So do you have trouble sleeping a lot? Are you trying to avoid sleeping pills? I sure take mine as needed. How's things going for you lately? You're at about 6 months now?

Melanie
Surgery to remove tumour
Aug. 27 stopped working
Given 6-7 weeks

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat May 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi melanie, he wore those brown gardening cotton gloves. His nails got gnarly lookingtoo, 6 months on Monday, I have trouble sleeping some, by bro in law had emerg surgery for bowel obstruction and he's fighting lymphoma ns colon ca, his wife just had jaw cancer removed awaiting radiation, my boss jut dx with stage 4 melanoma, it's been brutal lately, but must find the good things on life. No sleeping pills, just get by. Wishing you the best!

MelanieB

Postby MelanieB » Sat May 19, 2012 2:47 pm

And to you too Sharon. So sorry everyone around you is dealing with cancer too. It's becoming rampant in our circle too.
Surgery to remove tumour
Aug. 27 stopped working
Given 6-7 weeks

Pagal1

Postby Pagal1 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Sharon, Wendy,niki,melanie,Lisa & all others out there who r going thro' this as I am .. These past two weeks I was ready to give up.... Can't do it anymore.. Hubby was in th hospital for almost a week and his parents came after i begged and left the day after he came home ,even tho' they knew I was working really hard and was oncall the weekend... I've been called all types of names and it's hard to focus on positives when u r called a negative person... All I did was relay the info given to me from his doc...one day he is good and next day he is puking up bile and is in pain ....this uncertainty is slowly killing me .. And my husband feels that everyone around him is just giving him lectures ..so I've stopped that and internalize and don't say anything...I just need to hold on somehow ...I've refused to go anywhere this weekend and I know it's not right but we have a wedding coming up this weekend and how can I b happy???
FYI - my hubby tolerated irn btr than oxalo- but 1st folfori cycle head an obstruction sob agin,reason given was sloughing of all dead cells,mayb others r having and pain coz of that? There are also spe food interacts with this drug so chi it out..
Neuropathyr with oxalo whatever #s they give is fairly common, you can always try a lower dose .. We did ca-mg as well no data to support neuron tin.. Lyrica ? Not sure.. Key point we were told was if neuropathy persists and is still ptresent when u go for next round u sold change dose.. Hope this helps
Wife to wonderful husband
CC-6/09-age39
3C-SBTL colectomy, FOLFOX(12cyc)
7/11-cancer returns-Stage4-omental mets
6cycles FOLFORI & Avastin(3)
HIPEC & cytoredn-11/11
gastroparesis-6/12-still onTPN,liver & lung mets
Folfiri -2nd opinion now

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon May 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Sorry shital that they are giving you grief. I was told I was negative by a few people, but I told them I was hopeful but not stupid. When u are in the medical field, it's all too real. Praying things calm down, I guess the best thing I did for myself and Kenny was accept that we didn't know how this would go, and leaving it in Gods hands. I knew he could handle it better thn us. After I did that I became calmer. Today is 6 months that Kenny has been gone. Can't believe I made it. I must tell you that 2 Saturdays ago I was watching youngest granddaughters dance recital. In large audience and when I looked at my son on my right, I swore I saw Kenny sitting next to him, just a brief flash. Gave me hope. Love to all

MelanieB

Postby MelanieB » Mon May 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Shital, I am so mad for you!! I can't imagine dealing with terrible in laws on top of everything else. What is their problem??
Praying for you

Melanie
Surgery to remove tumour
Aug. 27 stopped working
Given 6-7 weeks

las

Postby las » Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Mojo,

Glad to see you have made it and OH how time flies, I know not for you, but it does just feel like yesterday that I joined this board and none of this all happened. I ran into a girlfriend/neighbor of ours that I hadn't seen in some time. Her finance/boyfriend passed in March of 2011 due to a motorcycle accident. I asked her if it got any easier and she looked at me and said NO. That was upsetting to hear. I am not expecting it to be easy, but the thought of living the rest of my life in pure misery is really scary to me. You seem to have done well Sharon, maybe behind this computer things are different for you, but I sure hope things are getting easier for you. I hope you spend as much time with those grandbabies you can and focus on your son to help you get thru this. I read your post earlier and you sure can't seem to get away from this cancer crap and that has to be weighing you down. Hang in there and you know you can count on me if you ever need to talk.

Shital,

Wow... just wow..... your doing the best you can and some people just do not get it, it wears you out being the caregiver and you need to understand that your doing the best you can. It's hard to keep up with everything, the house, kids, work and take care of a sick one. You need help. How far does his family live from you guys? Can they not help out more or do they just not get it? Hang in there.

Lisa
Lisa
Fiance DX 6/27/11 CC IV w/liver mets,adrenal glnd,pet.
7/25/11 folfox
8/2/11 surg.colon wall prefor.no removal of tumor
8/24/11 folfox ,3/12 5FU, 5/12 irinitecan failed, 7/12 didn't qualify regronfenib
8/13/12 Hospice, 8/18/12 married, died 9/10/2012

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon May 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Thank you Lisa. I have my moments his birthday was one. But I just cried and spent day at home and the emotions out. I guess I knew he needed to let go and leave for heaven. He had fought so hard, he was skeletal, the coroner said, my but he suffered. But he had very little pain, other than the neuropathy. His real fear was dying in severe pain, and he left so peacefully . I miss him terribly, but I know how hard he fought to live and I won't let my life go to naught. His sharing of seeing angels in our room, brought me such joy. In the midst of darkness you must find that one beam of light. I am doing ok, there is a point when everyone goes back to their normal lives and you feel odd, but I never have been normal, lol, so this is me! My eldest granddaughter Alex will graduate 8th grade tomorrow and Kenny won't be there in body, but in spirit, oh yes! And I know he will be there to take my hand when I leave this earth. This keeps me going. And I try to help anyone else I can. It's a blessing.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”