Colon Resection Recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
roxanne1947

Re: Colon Resection Recovery

Postby roxanne1947 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:49 pm

I had a sigmoid resection on March 14, 2012, almost 6 weeks ago now. Thankfully, I did not have cancer but a perforated colon. I'm still waiting to feel good or "normal" because ever since the surgery I've had gas pains in my rectum. I find it difficult to sit down like a normal person because of the pain in my butt. I have to lie down most of the time to relieve the constant pressure in my rectum. I told my surgeon what I was experiencing hoping he would tell me it's "normal" but instead he acted as though he knew nothing about this post-operative problem. My stools have been "mushy" like another writer here, or else I can't go at all and have to resort to magnesium citrate for relief. I wish I could get a straigt answer as to when these gas pains and other problems will go away. My surgeon told me it would take 6 to 8 weeks to feel "normal" but I'm so uncomfortable and depressed over this constant pain I don't know how much longer I can tolerate it. I've been taking Tylenol for the pain with minimal relief. I'm making my sister (with whom I live) so nervous she's getting depressed. She just wants me to feel better and so do I. I'm glad I found this site to commiserate with others in the same boat. I hope we will all feel good again real soon. I just don't know why my butt hurts because I didn't have any problems like this before I had the surgery. Every day I try to tell myself that any day now I'll feel better and won't dread waking up to yet another day of feeling bad. I just hope it doesn't take months to recover.
Get a B.C.I.R. !! wrote:I've always joked with people who've had lost either part or the whole of their colon, saying that they are now officially able to join my PERSONAL 'Colon Club!' How SHOCKED I was just now to see that there is 'Colon Club' online!! :o Thank you for this site! I struggled with Ulcerative Colitis for 25 years and FINALLY did something about it--my insurance qualified me for a B.C.I.R. surgery, and it was the best thing I ever did!! I'll post the link for it...

I have a question from my sister in law now-though. She had a 6" part of her colon removed 2 weeks ago and STILL has REALLY, REALLY BAD GAS PAINS. They're SO PAINFUL!!! I've read the last 20 posts and see that nobody's really had this problem. She didn't have the laproscopic type--she has a large incision. She said that she'd be feeling really great if it wasn't for the debilitating GAS!! Gas-X isn't working either...
Does anyone have anything to say about this?? I'm telling her to totally NAG her doctor, as he seems to busy to even care... :(

B.C.I.R. site:

http://www.palmspasadena.com/services/bcir/

hurricanejane

Postby hurricanejane » Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 pm

I am so glad to have found this site and to find out what y'all are going through....... :( . I've been doing a lot of googling and searching online to try to figure out how long it will take to recover from my colon resection.

I am 47 yrs old and had a HAL colectomy on 4/11/12. Doc removed 18" of my sigmoid colon due to numerous bouts with diverticulitis over the past few years. I was in the hospital three days, on pain meds, antibiotics, etc. On the third day, I told the doc I wanted to go home (just couldn't take being in the hospital - no rest!). As I was recovering normally, he allowed it. My surgery went fine and I love my doctor. The first week at home was VERY rough. I took the pain meds and slept a lot. The second week was a tad better and got even better after my staples were removed. Since then, I have had some good days and some bad. I HAVE found that no matter what I eat, I have terrible pains (comparable to labor pains!) in my abdomen about 30 mins to an hour later.....most of which result in a trip to the bathroom. I have not had problems with diarrhea but have had gas and bloating and have been constipated a time or two. Like another writer here, I have also felt food as it traveled through my intestines and colon. I read somewhere that the lack of length in the sigmoid colon results in a lack of water to help with the moving of stool. That makes sense so thanks to whomever noted that information!! I do seem to be thirsty a lot and am drinking a lot of water. I still get tired quickly but did manage to cut my grass with my self-propelled lawn mower today with no problems at all! YAY! It's back to work next week.

I truly hope everyone here feels better soon..........goodluck and thanks for sharing!

mskautz

Postby mskautz » Thu May 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I had a resection on March 28, still don't feel good at 6 weeks, so tired all the time, having trouble eating and alot of pain in my bottom because it was so close to the rectum, also am having bleeding off and on..will it ever get better? Haven't even started chemo or radiation yet.

kr

Postby kr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 am

8"colon resection on May 26th, 2012 as well as complete hysterectomy, including ovaries--surgeries done partially as laparoscopy with about a 5" incision at bikini line to remove colon cleanly, which my doc prefers. It is June 9, 2012 as I write this, which means I'm a day away from 2 weeks post surgery.

Not sure if any others have had severe endometriosis, but that is how I got in this predicament. Endometriosis extended to colon.

I don't know how things will be for me in a couple of weeks, but I can't imagine some of the physical things I hear people doing days after surgery. I too walked the next day and I, too wanted to get the heck out of the hospital so I could sleep, but it hurts to walk. Someone said that they were instructed that walking is good...question, even when it hurts?

Anyone have redness at incision? I see the ob surgeon in two days and will ask about it, but it is around and on stretch marks that have been nearly invisible for over 20 years, but now they are swolen and burning.

Reclining is better than sitting. Just a tip for newbees. It takes pressure off down there and makes stuff like computer use doable for a bit. I'm done here, but will pray for us all right away.

AJS
Facebook Username: Angie Jennings Stratton

Postby AJS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 am

A couple of Beano's before each meal makes a big difference for me. I don't get that "uncomfortable" gas when I take them.

Angie
[size=50][color=#FF00FF]Diverticulitis/Resection 12/27/07
Dx 1/08-Stage IIIA CC-2/15 Lymph Nodes-42 yrs old
2/08-8/08 -Folfox/Erbitux
Hysterectomy 3/09-CC on Ovary-Folfiri&Avastin
1/12-resection,bladder surgery,illeostomy
3/12-Illeostomy takedown
5/13-Folfiri/Avastin

elise

Postby elise » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:20 am

I had my surgery done laprascopically. I got out on day 7 and was feeling pretty darn good. It took about 4 weeks more to be able to get up from lying down using my stomach muscles. There is one lap site (low left side) that hurt for a while (not so bad that I had to take meds but it was pestering). Doc said A LOT of people have pain in that one spot for months after surgery.
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Unk

Postby Unk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:34 pm

I just registered on this site, but am not sure if I belong here. I had searched the web for anything on colon resection recovery, and found this site. Now I see that the site says it is "dedicated to raising awareness of colorectal cancer", but my colon resection is scheduled for next week because of frequest bad episodes of diverticulitis (admitted to hospital with perforations in the past, but the surgery is scheduled while I'm not having an episode). I could not find much info on the subject, and only had a few moments with the surgeon and didn't really know the questions to ask (he was referred by my regular GI doctor). I'm terrified of having this surgery (and the recovery period), so I was glad to at least ready some posts by others who have had successful recovery (though of course I've seen some scary posts too!).

jende1

Postby jende1 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 am

Had a colon resection on the right side done laparoscopically and was home in 5 days. Worst part for me was giving up smoking. I am now 3 mos post op and still have no energy. Should I assume it's from the surgery or from not smoking?

rabasko

Postby rabasko » Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 am

well i'm in for full surgery on Friday. Removing the section that connects to the small intestine. Not sure what type of resection that is. I'll try to update here as i progress through recovery on this 51 year-old body.

maldonas2

Postby maldonas2 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:41 pm

I have suffered with diverticulitis and in Feb I had emergency surgery due to colon tear. I am going for surgery on Monday and am afraid of the pain. The first operation was painful. After 3 months I have my energy back and I have very little discomfort. I hope this surgery will be easier then the last one.

5piggy

Postby 5piggy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:22 pm

I had lap sigmoid resection in late May. I spent only 2 nights in the hospital and used very little pain medicine while there, and none at home. I was able to attend church, grad parties, and sporting events within 3 days of surgery. My doctor allowed me to go back to lap swimming at 2 weeks and I think this helped me mentally as much as physically. I do worry that I will forget and lift more than I should. I have some abdominal pain and pulling but feel really good.

wayrider

Re: Colon Resection Recovery and odorless stool

Postby wayrider » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 am

I am 4 weeks out of colectomy surgery - 12 inches sigmoid colon removed. Bowel movements are erratic and have been generally, several jelly bean sized stools several times a day. But over the last 3 days, I am having the urge to go and will pass a table spoon or two of mucous with brown flecks (like at the tail end of a colonoscopy prep) with a jelly bean or two. But here is the thing: there is absolutely no odor. I am eating a low fiber diet and eating fairly well and am well hydrated. I have some increased nausea, and am in no real pain. What do you think folks? :shock: :!:

Cj51

Postby Cj51 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Wayrider, I'd suggest that you start a fresh post. People will be more likely to see it and offer some answers to your question.

Cj
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

Rnccen

Postby Rnccen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:55 am

2 weeks out of lapro sigmoid resection...approx 12" resected... 4 days in hospital (had to leave to recover) great care but no rest. Off prescribed pain meds switched to Aleve (1 every 12hrs) feel a lot better. Only issue is senestivity at side incision. Staples are out now have steri strips which doctor said would help skin adjust to not having staples in. He also mentioned 2 other layers of internal sutures in abdominal muscles that have to dissolve (this probably explains the localized pain there).

Back to somewhat normal bm's ... Progressed from gas to small drops to paste to soft formed...eating small meals ( potato, pasta, fish and bread mainly ). Doctor said to drink at least 2 liters of water/fluids per day (if urine is not clear drink more) helps with bm's.

Not a back sleeper and is uncomfortable sleeping on side...still trying to figure something out.

Really happy I had surgery suffered with diverticulitis episodes and 2 absess and those pills... Worst part was the miralax prep.

For those who are contemplating ... Go for it ... While everyone heals differently .... Taking it slow and steady and moving around sooner than later while taking it easy on foods you will recover over time and there is a wealth of information on this forum and the Internet.

Remember you have to like and trust your doctor...if not find another one.

luap

Postby luap » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Six week removed from colon/rectal resection--8 inches removed. Still have some aching in my left lower abdomen and small pasty bowel movements. I am worried that I'll never feel normal again. Anybody out there have any words of wisdom?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”