Back pain from full colon?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bonnie D.

Back pain from full colon?

Postby Bonnie D. » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Am I imaging it? Or is my back hurting because my colon is full? I've had off and on lower back pain the past couple of weeks and it's certainly not related to any physical activity, (nor is it my mattress) but I noticed after eating a large meal last night that I woke up with back pain in the middle of the night and thought.... Aha! All I need is a good emptying. Of course that NEVER happens when desired. But I remembered that last week when I did have a great "movement" I felt better for days! No pain! Is the "movement" the key? I've had a couple of blockages in the past and fear that this may be a possible precursor. Anyone had similar issues? Or is there a past thread I can view?
Bonnie D.
D=Diarrhea This was my middle name during chemo. Thankfully that's over.
Stage III with 7 lymph nodes positive
Diag: 12/07
Colon Resection: 3/08
Chemo: Folfox Finished 10/08

Lee

Re: Back pain from full colon?

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Yes I sometimes get this. I have a rather large hernia and I suspect this is also contributing to the problem. I can get back pain from a full colon and once every thing is out, back pain eases up alot!!

I had radiation and I was cut open up for my surgery. I've been told my stomach muscles are gone and that my back carries the load now. I have to be careful, because sometimes it doesn't take much to make my back area ache.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:24 pm

I also get back pain related to a full colon even if it's just full of gas. I don't think it means a blockage is immenent, I think it is more like Lee said that my stomach muscles are gone (after 4 surgeries - C Section, colon resection, open hysterectomy, incisional hernia repair) and my back muscles are carring the load. I am on a 4-week schedule with irinotecan and weeks one and two are miserable with the big-D. I take at least one 10/500 hydrocodone for pain for the first two weeks, then as the diarrhea subsides, the back pain goes away and I have two good weeks with almost no need for pain meds. The best I can suggest is diet and/or supplements that keep you regular and keep gas to a minimum. I can suggest that, but that doesn't mean I've found the perfect answer. Since my eyes always seem to want what my stomach shouldn't have, somedays I just know I'm going to have back pain.
Good luck to you,
dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 am

My "need to go" signal is now different. I get the normal sensation at the anus but I dont know, perhaps because my rectum is no longer there, I also get a pain in the side like a stitch, left side, where the transverse colon/descending colon junction probably is.

Stomatrooper

Postby Stomatrooper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Lee wrote:Yes I sometimes get this. I have a rather large hernia and I suspect this is also contributing to the problem. I can get back pain from a full colon and once every thing is out, back pain eases up alot!!

I had radiation and I was cut open up for my surgery. I've been told my stomach muscles are gone and that my back carries the load now. I have to be careful, because sometimes it doesn't take much to make my back area ache.

Lee

I am similar to you Lee - it does not take much to make my back ache. (though I had my large hernia fixed though the ab's are shot).

Jachut wrote: I also get a pain in the side like a stitch, left side, where the transverse colon/descending colon junction probably is.

I get this a lot - my traverse/decending Colon Junction (Splenic Flexture) is no longer there I hear - since LAR.

Having a full Colon seems to bring on the aches as well - a good clean out always welcome.

My pains are mainly left flank/Thoracic area but can extend to lumbar - usually best in a morning first thing - on the bad days I know it is mets - The surgeons don't agree.
John, Diag. 20 5 2010 @55
Rectal, 2cm dia, 3cm from anal verge
T2N0M0
5.5 Wk Chemorad
ULAR Oct 2010
Temp Ileo, infection; blockage; incisional hernia
Takedown Jan 2011
Hernia fix - June 2011
Clean CT 2011; 2012 & 2015
Clean scope May 2013

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Stomatrooper wrote:
Lee wrote:Yes I sometimes get this. I have a rather large hernia and I suspect this is also contributing to the problem. I can get back pain from a full colon and once every thing is out, back pain eases up alot!!

Lee

I am similar to you Lee - it does not take much to make my back ache. (though I had my large hernia fixed though the ab's are shot).

How did they repair your hernia? Do you have a colostomy? I've been told to repair my hernia would be major surgery, similar to what I had done to remove my cancer, rectum and gave me a colostomy back in 2004. The hospital stay would be the same-5 to 10 days. The hernia repair would involve transfering my colostomy from the current side (my left) to the other side of my stomach (my right). I've decided I don't want surgery unless it's absolute necessary.
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Stomatrooper

Postby Stomatrooper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Lee wrote:
Stomatrooper wrote:

Lee

How did they repair your hernia? Do you have a colostomy? I've been told to repair my hernia would be major surgery, similar to what I had done to remove my cancer, rectum and gave me a colostomy back in 2004. The hospital stay would be the same-5 to 10 days. The hernia repair would involve transfering my colostomy from the current side (my left) to the other side of my stomach (my right). I've decided I don't want surgery unless it's absolute necessary.

I do not have a colostomy I had a temporary ileo

The repair was with PT mesh and they could not quite close the hole (just mesh in one small area) - the hernia had extended from under the rib cage to below my navel and the surgeon could not fix the bit under the ribs so the mesh holds me together there.

I was 5 x days inside.

Seemingly your are a more complicated prospect - since the repair my belly is held in much better (but not great either) - at least I can see the action when I go for a pee! But the back pains are easily initiated - like today when I have been sat in front of a computer all day. It was a good excuse to get me out of mowing the lawn for a while but thats had its day, especially now my wife has just had an hysterectomy so now I am the best crock out of the two of us right now.
John, Diag. 20 5 2010 @55
Rectal, 2cm dia, 3cm from anal verge
T2N0M0
5.5 Wk Chemorad
ULAR Oct 2010
Temp Ileo, infection; blockage; incisional hernia
Takedown Jan 2011
Hernia fix - June 2011
Clean CT 2011; 2012 & 2015
Clean scope May 2013

Faz

Postby Faz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:33 am

Hi everyone.
Need some help here. I had hernia surgery done to both my left & right lower abdomen. Eversince that, I seems to be having colon proble; bloating tummy, colon spasam, constipation and recently I had to undergo colonoscopy and endoscopy and results showed that I had ulcers in certain area of the colon. Medication was prescribed and everything seems to subside until recently I carried 3 boxes of books. Probably it trigger some kind of injury to the colon as it feel very sore. I begin to feel lower back pain; sitting for more than an hour will trigger lower back pain. Are these all symptom of the same problem?

ellie100

Postby ellie100 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:14 am

Just give you a warning. Plz don't scare it's just a precaution, my mum who's got colon cancer mets to her liver had back pain. She ended up by not being able to walk, so we took her for the CT scan, they have found a tumour on her lumbar vertebral. So plz be aware of this and check yourself, so the sooner the better.
Ellie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”