For those with neuropathy, what shoes do you wear?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: For those with neuropathy, what shoes do you wear?

Postby Bev G » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi all:

This is a really interesting thread. Isn't it weird how some of us can't stand to be barefoot, or can't stand to be without socks, and some of us can't stand to wear shoes or socks (me) and cold feels good to some (me) but very bad to others? What a strange and uncomfortable (sometimes almost unbearable) chemo effect. I was with my husband in chemo for 10 hours today (!) He is now smiling and prancing around the house on his steroid high, and I am sitting here with my feet and ankles driving me nuts :lol: :lol: . Life is so ironic! Anyway, thanks for all of your great thoughts about shoes---never thought about crocs because I thought I would walk right out of them, I cannot wear clogs anymore, it seems :(

Hope everyone's feet feel much, much better soon.

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:19 pm

If he has so much energy Bev, show him the vacuum cleaner. Mustn't waste a steroid rush.
I always knew I was a lucky devil. I'm still wearing the same old old Florsheims I've always worn , but I buy the Comfortech ones now ( probably only available downunder). Nice supple kangaroo skin uppers , unelasticised cotton socks. I never go barefoot.

Best wishes to all

Wayne
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

MrPleistocene
Facebook Username: vinson.jim

Postby MrPleistocene » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 am

I wore, and loved loved loved:

http://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Falcon-Ridg ... B001OTYYXU

sorel slippers. They have a rubber sole and I wore them everywhere all the time. I started a minor wave of these slippers in my family as people saw how comfortable and versatile they were. I think they have female versions too. They are great for airports and radiation too (that cold cold floor)
DX 11/09 RC Stage IIIb
12/09 Chemorad w/Folfox
Surgery 4/10 LAR, Removed Seminal Vesicles
Clean Margins, T3N2M0, 4/19 Nodes
FOLFOX 6/10-11/10
6/10, 10/10, 1/11 Clean Scans, Normal CEA
12/10 Bi-Nephrostomy
12/10-2/11 HBOT
2/11 Reversal

kims
Facebook Username: ksegers

Postby kims » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

I am a lawyer in DC and need to wear professional looking shoes for my job. I have residual neuropathy in the balls of my feet and my toes. I also often have pain on the tops of my feet. I have had great luck with Clark's if I can get them in flat heel models. I have also gone up one size and moved to wide width as my feet seem to be constantly swollen. I also have a pair of Clark's clogs that have a 1 1/2 inch wedge heel that are pretty comfortable as well. I watch for the sales and am able to get them for between $80-$100 a pair. I can also sometimes find them for a good price at DSW Shoe warehouse and Clark's often has stores in major outlet malls.

Kim
47 YOA
11/08 stage 2 breast cancer
completed chemo 6/09
diagnosed 1/11 stage 3B CC
4 rounds FOLFOX followed by 6 rounds Xeloda
completed 9/11
Pet scan 10/11 - NED
CT Scan 1/12, 4/12; 11/12 - NED
7/13 - recurrence - 1cm lesion left lung; VATS 7/13

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 am

I liked the Clarks Pr!vo. They were cut a bit wider, had support like a tennis shoe, lightweight and nice enough that I could get away with wearing them to work. I've had good luck finding them at DSW.

Good luck finding the right shoe!
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Mys

Postby Mys » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 am

I could only wear Merrell for over a year. They have a soft, supported sole and are roomy enough. Merell trainers, sandals and winter boots.

I recently found some Softwalk winter boots with a bit of heel that I can wear. I had to go up a size from what I used to wear. Most of their styles look like they aim for senior citizens, but the boots were neutral enough for me, and semi-stylish:http://www.shoemall.com/p/soft-walk-womens-santee-boot/?color=Black&utm_source=GoogleProductSearch&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=CSE&CAWELAID=1024581048 I was very happy to find something else than Merell I could actually walk in (even though I love the brand), I thought I would never wear normal shoes again. I walk everywhere, so I have to have good shoes.

At home, I can´t live without my Glerup felt wool and leather shoes. http://www.mommymoment.ca/2012/02/100-natural-wool-glerups-slippers-arv-99-giveaway.html

During chemo and for two months after, I wore these soft, thick wool shoes both during the day and during night, as my feet were very sensitive to both touch and cold. I am wearing them as I speak- they are wery durable.
CC diagnosed June 2010 (at 34), stage 3C. 10/26 lymph nodes. Simultaneous DCIS breast cancer. Lung met first seen on scan March 2012 (6mm), open lung surgery October 2012 (8mm). Biopsy confirmed metastasis. No chemo after lung surgery. NED.

westie68

Postby westie68 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:53 am

Hi: You might check out the Apis catalogue (in California). They are on line. They have a whole range of orthopedic and comfort shoes from a variety of
shoe makers. I have their catalogue and wish they were in Canada!
CMP

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Postby Nickmark59 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:03 am

I have to wear steel toed shoes for my work and deal with neuropathy I am a size 13 EEEE so you can imagine the fun I have finding work shoes I go for 6" contractor style boots or low hikers with wide box toe and then wear very thick pair of hunting socks and have gel soles along with orthotics for really flat feet works as long as I am not on my feet all day. So I try and use a chair ,short ladder, bucket or what ever I can rest on when doing jobs so I am not on them all day
I have actually been able to find wide width and toe box boots at Walmart or I get them from Iron Age outlet store .

I also am dealing with Osgood slaughters knee issues and 2 plates and 7 screws and only up down foot movement no lateral movement from when i crushed my heal . So you have my sympathies.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

disco nap

Postby disco nap » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:40 am

When my neuropathy was at its worst, I wore fitflops. I also like Uggs, and sheepskin slippers.

I am still working back into heels, but I do wear lots of ballet flats - Clarks, Rockports, mainly.
DX July 2 '10 CC Stage IIIC, 11/18 nodes+
Right Hemi July 6 '10
Folfox: Aug 17'10 - Feb 17'11
Mar 2012: Lynch Syndrome MLH1
"Declared well" and been well ever since.
Update: Jan 2023 - still NED.

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 am

I got a pair of Bear Traps boots for Christmas - they're similar to Uggs and I love them!!! I don't know what I'll do when warm weather hits. My oldest son and his wife got me some shearling lined scuffs and they're just what I need around the house. If I can't wear the boots, my Reeboks work as long as I wear fuzzy socks.
My problem lately has been the bottoms of my feets burning and the tops of my feet was so cold and my toes are stinging from the neuropathy. I haven't figured out yet how to deal with it other than to have my tops of my feet on an electric lap robe with the bottoms of my feet hanging out. Should make the next chemo infusion interesting!
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

shellfry

Postby shellfry » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 pm

I work in a professhional environment and need dress shoes. Crocs and stuff are fine for the home, but not work. My biggest problem is that most of my dress sandals are slip on, and since I can't really feel anything, I can't grip them as I walk so they slip off, causing me to almost trip, or actually trip, or just come down on the wrong surface (hot or cold cement, floors, parking lots, etc) I'm probably going to have to invest in a whole new set of a shoe wardrobe which will be very expensive. The only shoes I don't have that problem with are my winter shoes and boots, but spring is headed to Texas and those will be too hot to wear. Not to mention that no matter what, it feels like I've got socks all balled up under my feet, even while not wearing socks!
Michelle
Stage III Colorectal Cancer
2 lymph nodes involved
Resection Sept 2010
5-FU, Leucovorin, Oxiplatin
radiation
chemo complete May 2011
radiation complete Dec 2010
Port removed June 2011
permanent colostomy 9/2012 due to
complications from radiation
April 2015 Total Pelvic Floor Reconstruction

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Shellfry - have you seen the crocs dress sandals? Give them a look...suitable for the office.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

crockpotgirl

Postby crockpotgirl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Thank you for all your posts. Your advice has helped me and my feet!
T3N0M0 rectal IIa 11/6/09 age 43
5FU and radiation
LAR, BSO, j-pouch, ileostomy 2/12/10 at MD Anderson 0/21 nodes
Folfox4 3/10
Ileostomy takedown 7/21/10
Neuropathy 8/10
Port out 10/29/10
Married, 4 young boys, lots of pets
Thankful to be alive!

keepcalmcarryon
Facebook Username: me

Postby keepcalmcarryon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:19 pm

I really like my Timberland hybrid sneaker/hiking shoe. I know the name of one model is Lionhead. There are similar models. The are very breathable, supportive, absolutely waterproof. not too pricey, I think about $70
9/07 t3 n2
exc. biop, Xelox, Rad
06/08 NED
03/09 PET-pelvic LN
06/09 rad tx
10/09 exp.lap; can't find LN
05/10 Stage IV, lung nodes
04/10 Xeliri, Avastin
06/10 PET-lung ok
11/ 10 failed surg ln
02/11 Proton tx
7/11 failed clin. Trial
10/11- xelox

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Ashlee H. wrote:I had to have one foot reconstructed, so I have all kinds of issues with that foot, and my Surgeon recommended SAS shoes. I remembered my mom wore these at work (at a hospital). The shoes are made in Texas. I don't know if they have stores in Florida, but they do have a website. Shoes are about $125. They are experts in problem feet. Their shoes come in all widths. For a small additional fee, you can get one shoe larger than the other (which is needed in my case). Their customer service is excellent. You can do a google search (SAS Shoes) to find out more about them. Once in awhile, they will have a 15% off sale.

I forgot about SAS. I wore those for many years for work - all purchased here in MN. I have narrow, long, feet - hard to fit at a size 10 1/2 or 11 AAA with AAAA heel. Now with the neuropathy I am wearing them a bit wider and have to stick with size 11 now.

I'm hoping it is warm enough at the final dinner for Call on Congress so I can wear my Sketchers sandals with my skirt. My Merrills or other clog-type shoes might not look very nice...
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”