For those with neuropathy, what shoes do you wear?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
crockpotgirl

For those with neuropathy, what shoes do you wear?

Postby crockpotgirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 pm

After 18 months of a neuropathy in the balls of my feet and toes, I finally put away all of my heels, flip flops, and shoes lacking support. When I wear the wrong type of shoe, my feet become very painful.

I have purchased a wide variety of crocs, because they seem to feel the best on my feet. Going a size up also helps.

I also found a pair of Asics gel Kayanos (running shoes) that feel great (but I'm not running!) The only draw back is that they are very expensive.

My question for those of you with longterm neuropathy is this: which shoes feel best on your feet? I am looking for specific brands/styles/even item numbers, if you can be that precise. Are there professional looking shoes that have been particularly comfortable for you?

Thank you.
T3N0M0 rectal IIa 11/6/09 age 43
5FU and radiation
LAR, BSO, j-pouch, ileostomy 2/12/10 at MD Anderson 0/21 nodes
Folfox4 3/10
Ileostomy takedown 7/21/10
Neuropathy 8/10
Port out 10/29/10
Married, 4 young boys, lots of pets
Thankful to be alive!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: For those with neuropathy, what shoes do you wear?

Postby Bev G » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Hello,

Isn't this neuropathy just the nightmare that won't quit? Mine was induced by 5FU (I know, I know, it's not supposed to cause neuropathy, but I'm living proof that it does---I never had oxi) I have found that Taryn Rose shoes are the most tolerable on my feet, but often, I can't stand wearing any shoes, and socks drive me nuts. Taryn Rose shoes were actually designed by a female orthopedic surgeon and they have incredible comfort and support built in. The problem is, they are insanely expensive. I have bought mine on eBay. I wouldn't 9and couldn't) buy them retail. They do fit true to size, so I haven't felt it a risk to buy them on eBay--usually they're expensive there, but I have been able to find them from time-to-time at a fantastic price.

HTH,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

surfingon

Postby surfingon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 pm

My vote is for Z-Coils. My husband's neuropathy was so bad that he almost stopped walking altogether, and more or less crawled when he did move. I got him down to the Z-Coil store (they have to be fitted, as there are a vast number of possible adjustments-- for pronation, supination, additional arch support, etc. etc.) and his walking improved dramatically as soon as he put them on. He was so stoked that he bought 2 pairs-- and he was a lifetime slippers-only (flipflops to you Mainlanders) wearer until then. Within 24 hours, he was walking upright and with a bounce in his step.

There are many different styles to choose from, but they are VERY expensive-- in the vicinity of $220. But worth every penny, as they gave mobility back to John. I'm a total believer-- have 4 pairs myself. They are sold only by an authorized dealer, so they can be fitted properly. Our local dealer offers a 30-day trial period and promises to refund your money if you don't like them. Once you know your size, you can get them on Ebay for $60-$80 readily.
caregiver to husband John
Stage III CC 3-05
liver+ colon resect Nov '06
FolfoxA , FolfiriA
7 liver RFA's, 1 lung RFA
died April 29, 2009
http://sheddinglightonthecancerjourney.wordpress.com/
http://sheddinglightonthewidowsjourney.wordpress.com

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 am

I hadn't purchased new shoes in years. First I had RSD in my right foot - so there was no sense in getting new shoes. My foot was too swollen for anything other than oversized slippers for a long time. After that flip-flops were ok.

Then came the cancer and FOLFOX and severe neuropathy that I still live with (no oxy since April 2010). My feet hate having socks or shoes on them (or bed covers touching them). But living in MN, I have to find a way to deal with socks and shoes. My daughter got me some of those super fuzzy slipper socks - and she found some that are knee high, instead of just the footies. Those are the best for socks for me. If I'm in Mexico, or it is summer (or spring or fall) here, I just wear flip-flops the majority of the time if I have to put shoes on.

I knew I had to get some decent shoes for walking when I decided to go backpacking with my daughters in January. Flip-flops weren't going to cut it - especially since night time temps were 30's and 40's. So I went shoe shopping for the first time since 2007. I have been very happy with my Merrill's. Good traction, nice light-weight boot, and I didn't get any blisters breaking them in. That has been one of my biggest worries - I can't feel enough to know if I'm getting blisters, but if I get them and they pop, they hurt like heck, and they don't heal very quickly. My daughter tried mine on, and said they were a bit too big. We normally wear the same size. I thought they were bigger than I usually get, even though they are my normal size. But that has made it work nicely to wear the big thick slipper socks. I've found them to be quite comfortable - better than anything else I've tried to put on my feet the last few years. They aren't cheap, but if you find them on sale, they aren't too expensive. I got mine for $59.

At the same time I purchased a cheaper pair of shoes from Payless. They have the little 1/4 back - so they are mostly like a clog, but with a tiny bit at the back to help keep them on. I'm not sure of the brand. I'll try to look later. They don't seem to bother my feet too much, and are dressier for wearing with suit pants, etc.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 am

I've had neuropathy in my feet for years (not chemo/cancer related) and finding the right shoes has truly been a nightmare. I've found that it's not necessarily going up a size but getting a wider width that has become much more tolerable. I have also found that any type of footwear that doesn't 'give' or 'breathe', particularly around the top arch (where you would tie the shoes) is not at all comfortable. For example, while I love clogs, unless they give around the top - forget it. I've found a few brands that I can work with - but again, I tend to go for the wider widths. New Balance mules are wonderful - you can take them off if you need to and/or slide into them when necessary. Ryka also has a nice selection of shoes that seem to work well for me.
Try shoes on- its been my experience that the heavier the shoe, the more uncomfortable my neuropathy is. This is pretty across the board with one exception....I just adore (as do my feet) my Skechers tone ups - but again, I ordered them in a wide width (couldn't find these in the store) and I got the style that wasn't all leather uppers but instead a combination of leather/breathable mesh.
Another brand which I have found to be quite comfortable is FitFlop. I tend not to like their sandals - simply because I don't like that type of shoe but have found their clogs, slippers and other shoes to be quite comfortable for my feet.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 am

I had to have one foot reconstructed, so I have all kinds of issues with that foot, and my Surgeon recommended SAS shoes. I remembered my mom wore these at work (at a hospital). The shoes are made in Texas. I don't know if they have stores in Florida, but they do have a website. Shoes are about $125. They are experts in problem feet. Their shoes come in all widths. For a small additional fee, you can get one shoe larger than the other (which is needed in my case). Their customer service is excellent. You can do a google search (SAS Shoes) to find out more about them. Once in awhile, they will have a 15% off sale.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

KimT

Postby KimT » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:31 am

I have found my sanita clogs to be most comfortable. I would recommend them. They are expensive at $120ish but I have worn these clogs for 10 years and each pair has lasted 2-4 years. I wear them every day because they are the best thing for my neuropathy. They even make sandals for summer. Also dansko clogs are good. Dansko and sanita used to be one company until about 4 years ago. The clogs are basically the same but the fit is slightly different. Sanitas are more narrow. You do need to try them on and sometimes you need to try several pairs in the same size as they are all hand made and fit can vary within the same size. I got a new pair a month ago as I had been living in thailand for 3 years and hadnt worn them for awhile. I've worn them every day since because they really do help my feet. I even wear them around the house when my feet are hurting.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:45 am

Sofft and Born were both good when my neuropathy was at it's worst. They remain good when I have flare ups.

I echo the comments above about breathable, light weight, and slightly wide.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 am

Before neuropathy, I had discovered that Birkenstocks sandals and clogs, and Adiddas sneakers, were my go-to footwear.

After neuropathy, some of the body heat created dips and rises in my older Birks just weren't comfortable, although newer Birks with soles molded to my neuropathic foot aren't a problem.
They're between $50-80/pair, sometimes less expensive on QVC and sometimes I've found them for half-price at DSW.

I have some Crocs sandals that are comfortable, but this summer I tried Orthoheels flip flops which have a molded orthopedic sole. They were really $$ (for flip flops) but so are Crocs - and they really helped my feet. I have a couple pair of Ryka water-shoe style mary janes that I love - but I tried Ryka sneakers and other pairs of Ryka sandals that didn't work for me.

I cannot be barefoot in winter or fall - my neuropathic left foot is super-sensitive to cold from my tile floors. I have some Acorn slipper that I wear in the house.

As for a slightly more professional look than sandals or sneakers, I have had some luck with Lands End waterproof suede mocs (until they narrowed them!) Then I switched to Bass Pro Shops' version of these waterproof suede topped, vibram sole low mocs. They have a gore on each side of the arch so they are more comfortable across the bridge of my foot, and I put cushy insoles in for better support.

I've just tried a pair of Clarks mary jane style leather shoes with a cushy insole, in a wide width, for a dressier but less workman-like look, and they're pretty comfortable, too. Call on Congress will tell. ;)
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

waw4

Postby waw4 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 am

I really like Sanuk (http://www.sanuk.com/) and have happily worn their Vagabond model for the past 2 years. I would tend to think any of their "Sidewalk Surfer" models would be similar in comfort.

For me they are more comfortable than going without shoes and I have one pair for inside the house & one pair for outside. The heels are flexible so you can wear them like slippers if you like, which I do most of the time.

I would recommend going to a retail store first to determine your size as my experience is I have to go up 1 size to get the expected fit.
Bill's Colonoscopy 6/29/10; Dx Stage I or II
Surgery 7/15/10; Dx Stage III,15/32 lymph nodes
FOLFOX4 start 9/14/10; end 1/20/11 (9 tx)
2021 dx MSH6 Lynch Syndrome positive
(as are my brother, sister & son, but not daughter)
Grateful for 2nd Chance NED time!

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:06 am

no matter what shoe i put on
it still feels the same
i can not go barefoot at all anymore
i wear socks to bed.
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:34 am

I see that you are in Florida...But my Ugg type boots from Costco became my best friend.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

karenM

Postby karenM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 am

My feet are terrible after the 5fu. I had the Oxi also. I can not go barefoot since my feet are numb(also tingle,burn and sometimes sharp pain) but also hypersensitive to pain. If I step on even something as small as a grain of rice, I go through pain as if it were a tack. Anyway, I have a couple of softspot dress shoes I can get by wearing to church but not much longer. Every day shoes are crocks, and at Walmart I found some that are shaped like crocks ( no back and wider) but made of leather like material and fuzzy inside(warmer). Very cheap and for me comfortable.
Colon cancer found Nov 08- stage 3
Surgery Dec 16th 08
in hosp 16th to 23,
28th to 1st of Jan for blockage
port put in Jan 12th
Chemo started Jan 09-
ended July 09
Hospital for a wk in April for bleeding.
As of Aug 09 am NED! Thank GOD!

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:47 am

I have switched from Crocs to Clark's Springer, they have support , a closed toe and are extremely comfortable. My feet can't be cold, that gives me pain to the calf but it also hurts if they perspire. I know I look like a nerd with socks and sandals but alas that is the way I am most comfortable.
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

brigita

Postby brigita » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm all about Smartwool socks + Crocs. Not the most stylish combo, but it gets the job done. ;)

I have to wear socks to go to sleep & am partial to the comfy slipper kind they sell at Old Navy, B&BW, and Target. They often sell these around holidays & you can get them cheap afterwards on clearance. :)
Stage III rectal @ 33, 4.5mo postpartum
Ovary transpo: 12/07
33 tx rad+Xeloda: 2/08
Lap LAR 0/11 +nodes: 3/08
8 FOLFOX tx: 8/08
Ileo reversal: 9/08
CIPN since 10/08
Normal uterus + lame ovaries = infertile
26.2 11/13
http://mycancerdeployment.blogspot.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”