Cetuximab and Avastin

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CMeeks

Cetuximab and Avastin

Postby CMeeks » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has information on or opinions about Cetuximab and Avastin. I'm thinking of entering a clinical trial where I would be randomized to receive/not-receive one of these drugs. I know a little about Avastin but virtually nothing about Cetuximab (except that it got Martha in trouble).

Any information anyone has would be most appreciated. I really like this forum.

Thanks in advance,

Chet Meeks
Chet

Marie

Avastin / Erbitux

Postby Marie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:34 am

My husband took avastin for 1 year and it worked well, until May, this year. He is now taking erbitux and because has stong positive markers for this medication is experiencing some severe skin reactions. They say it is a sign the medication is working. My experience has been that the drugs recommended are effective, but only for a period of time. The hopes are to make enough progress in order to do something else (surgical, or radiation type treatment). It is our hopes that in my husband's case, that will be the outcome.

From a fellow Illinoian - Marie

nancy

Cetuximab and Avastin

Postby nancy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:20 am

If you're considering the CALGB 80405 trial, you'll be randomized to chemo plus avastin, erbitux or the combination. Here's a pretty technical article about the various options, both efficacy and side effects:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/499726 - this is NOT user-friendly writing, and gives more statistics than "understanding".

If you want something more user-friendly, try:

http://www.c-three.org/TreatmentBookMar05.pdf

The big effecti with erbitux is the rash, which is actually good.
Nancy

Nancy Roach
C3: Colorectal Cancer Coalition | www.fightcolorectalcancer.org
4301 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 404
Washington, DC 20008-2369

Traybug

Trial

Postby Traybug » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am

My brother is entering this same trial next week. I'm not sure which arm of the study he has been placed in, but they keep telling him that it is a very "promising" study.

My brother is 31 and has stage IV CC with metastasis to the liver in case you didn't read my other post.

Chet...let me know if you decide to enter this and when you would start. My brother gets his port put in on Tuesday and will hopefully start treatment by the end of next week.

Good Luck!

Tracey

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:27 am

Hi Tracey,

I had my second opinion with doctors at the University of Chicago last week. I grilled them on the erbitux/avastin issue. They basically concurred with my doctor that, because I am stage III and have no distant metasteses, there is no reason for me to risk any of the potential side effects of these particular drugs in a clinical trial.

But they agreed that if I were stage IV, these would both be extremely promising drugs to try, especially given my age, general health, and so on. So it sounds like (given that fact that your brother is a year older than me), it'll be a good thing for him to try. I'm sure his doctor has told him the side effects of each drug and what warning signs to watch for. But if not let me know and I'll ask the doctors at UC to tell me more detailed information to post for you. There are side effects and you do have to be monitored very carefully for certain things on either of those drugs.

I start my chemo Thursday. I'll be thinking about you and your brother and wishing you both well. Be sure to let me know how his progress goes.

Best Wishes, Chet
Chet

Marie

Avastin - Erbitux experience

Postby Marie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:39 am

After a year of Avastin, my husband (IV) began erbitux 3 weeks ago. CEA has come down from 12 to 8 after 2 weeks of treatments. It is wonderful news, the difficulty right now is enduring the acne-rash side effect that has affected his entire body. We are thankful that he has responded so well and pray for additional progress. From what I have read, it appears that progression free response from this drug is anywhere from 4-7 months. Has anyone been on eribitux/CPT-11 combination and have any insight to share?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”