Retirement Disability Just About There!!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
eitter

Retirement Disability Just About There!!!!

Postby eitter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:05 pm

I am being cautiously optimistic, but it appears my Federal Disability Retirement Package is a Sure Win per my attorney who ONLY processes these for a living! WOW!

The letter came yesterday, my package was done, I already reviewed it and signed all the paperwork and my letter from my attorney said " It will take some time winding through their bureaucratic morass, before OPM finally makes its decision. I Believe that your case will be approved at the First Stage." I like the word morass, never had heard that one before! Lol So there you have it from a person that for 20 years has only processed Federal Disability Claims says mine will go through, WOW. I think I am in shock, granted nothing in writing yet but to hear that is amazing! It has been a LONG road to just get to this point, getting doctors to fill out paperwork was a chore!

Then today when I got to work I had a message from HR that they got the package and had some questions. He will be sending me what my monthly check will look like and what deductions I am required to have taken out, but basically just federal/state tax NO MORE Social Security and Medical (which is EXACT same as I have now). Things are backed up and it may take up to six months to go through, but hey I can do that, gives me time to be debt free. Let me tell you if anyone here works for the Federal Government look into this it is INCREDIBLE!!!! I get 60% of my pay year one and 40% until I hit Social Security age and get this I GET TO USE ALL THESE YEARS ON DISABILITY AS YEARS IN SERVICE for retirement, WOW! O and I can work on the side up to 80% of what I make now, but I will ONLY work part time and at my pleasure. Being a CPA I can do just about anything.

Again the ink is still wet, but the thought of being retired at the age of 45 and with decent income is more then I EVER thought possible, I feel so blessed!!!!! Stay tuned......

And if anyone wants to hear more or works for the Federal Gov't, I would be happy to talk to you about this INCREDIBLE program!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

CRguy

Re: Retirement Disability Just About There!!!!

Postby CRguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Hope things work out well for you Liz.
Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:47 pm

That sounds great, and here's hoping there is no last minute glitch.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

lydia123

Postby lydia123 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 pm

This is great news, and I am glad to hear it.

We're also feds. I can't say enough good things about my and my husband's coworkers (among them strangers to us) during treatment. Many of them anonymously donated their hard-earned leave to us to help us through my husband's illness. Once I have a positive balance, I will be paying that debt forward..
lydia123
caregiver to husband dx stage III colon/rectal cancer 5/10
6/10 surgery
7/10: FOLFOX began -- became nausea management expert
12/10: Chemo-radiation ended, scans clean.
NED since, but some scans required follow-up

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 am

Glad you got it submitted, and that things are so positive.

Best of luck, Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”