Fistula Frustration...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
WhoNext

Fistula Frustration...

Postby WhoNext » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello CC Members,
I am a new poster but not a new reader of all your courageous stories.
To those of you who knew a past member KT (of KT Partner), I am her cousin.
My cousin KT passed away almost 2 years ago after her courageous battle with Stage 4 CC.
Now, my best friend, Judy has CC
But Judy was not originally diagnosed with CC. She was originally diagnosed with Stage III Ovarian Cancer.
The doctor in charge reassured Judy that her cancer was very treatable.
He said she required a hysterectomy and later, chemo for a 'few' mets on her abdomen.
Well, they opened her up and found it had spread to her bowel. Funny the CT scan never picked that up.
She's been in the hospital for 2 months now!
She's had 3 infections (which she has overcome), and 2 fistulas (which she is still fighting).
The doctor says it is still Stage III. Really???? Is that possible?
(Most) of her family and I would like her to get a second opinion.
Heck, I'd like her to be transferred to a very reputable Cancer hospital in Toronto.
But I am not a family member. And Judy has stayed the course with the doctor she has.
I guess my question right now is... Can chemo be performed with a person who has a fistula?

Thank you to Crazy...for suggesting I change my subject topic to hopefully attract readers who are familiar with fistulas
Last edited by WhoNext on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazymotherof8

Re: Frustrated...

Postby crazymotherof8 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Who Next,
I don't have an answer for you but wanted to give you a bump. Or you might consider renaming your thread with the fistula question as those who know about them will open the thread.
Niki
DH Matt - 49 - father to 8
Dx Mar11 w/Mets to liver, lungs Folfox + Avastin Mar 11 - Jul 11
Sept11 Spleen remvd bc low platelets
Oct12 Folfox+Avastin
Mar12 Folfiri+Avastin
Aug12 bone mets; irinotecan+Erbitux
Dec12 chemo failed - trial
passed June 17, 2013

eitter

Re: Fistula Frustration...

Postby eitter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am

WhoNext wrote:Hello CC Members,
IShe's had 3 infections (which she has overcome), and 2 fistulas (which she is still fighting).
The doctor says it is still Stage III. Really???? Is that possible?

Yes it is VERY possible happened to me!

I have since found that Rectal CA and Ovarian can look the same and in fact I have a CA125 reading, which is the tumor marker for Ovarian, AND a CEA, marker for ColoRectal. AND I was given Taxol Chemo which is used to treat Ovarian in the beginning AND I had fistula's. My Tumor broke the Rectal Wall and went into the Pertitium area which is near the Ovaries. But just because my tumor broke a wall DOES NOT make it stage IV it has to actually be in the organ and my cancer never invaded another organ. I was diagnosied stage III.

So when my resection was done I also had a Radical Hysterectomy and I have a SLEW of doctors at the time, I had a ColoRectal Surgeon AND a Gynecological Oncology Surgeon and a Urologist and a regular Oncologist, O yes getting everyone on the same page took lots of coordination!

I invite you to my webpage and to read my whole journey and I bet it will read like your friends. http://www.runlizrun.com and look for My Cancer Journey.

Any other questions please let me know.
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

WhoNext

Re: Fistula Frustration...

Postby WhoNext » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Thank you so much Liz for sharing your story. Miracles happen.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”