abcessed tooth

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bz45

abcessed tooth

Postby bz45 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Has anyone here had to contend with an abcessed tooth while undergoing chemo? What was done for it? Right now, I'm on antibiotics waiting for the swelling to go down (not to mention diving into my percocet stash). It's driving me nuts and I'd like the nasty painful sucker out of my head. But I'm wondering if the Avastin and slightly low platelet count would be contraindications. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with this unfortunate experience. Thanks.
dx rc 4/09
Stage IIIC T4a N1 Mx
APR with perm. colostomy 6/09
FOLFOX + Avastin 9/09 - 2/10
Blood spotting 12/10
Biopsy 1/13 confirms re-occurence; unresectable
Chemorad 17tx 3/11-4/11
Internal rad 3tx 6/11

Grace14

Re: abcessed tooth

Postby Grace14 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:29 pm

I had an abcess right before I started chemo I too was on antibiotics. I had to have my wisdom tooth removed before I started chemo I was gonna wait but my Onc didn't want to chance it getting infected again so I had it pulled!! Good luck!
Diag Stage 2a R/C April 2010 at 38
Rad/chemo 6 weeks
Apr surgery July 2010
Folfox 4 months
Jan appendix removed
Feb diag papillary thyroid cancer no treatments stage1
Ned so far!!!
Mother of 4 boys 21 18 11 8

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 pm

bz45 wrote:.... But I'm wondering if the Avastin and slightly low platelet count would be contraindications.

Talk to your dentist, but my experience is that they get "interested and concerned" when we are even on chemo, let alone having low platelets and Avastin.

My advice : get the infection contained with whatever Abx's you need. That helps to protect the rest of your body first. Then you can have the dentist talk re : extraction or other surgery ?????

I do these all the time and will not do a full major surgery on a severely infected mouth until we get the bugs under control....( 24-48 hours of high level heavy duty meds....or VERY high levels IV while under GA if it is an emergency situation ). Bleeding issues are less important ( in my line of work ), but with severe clotting disorders, I do not take any chances and do clotting screens prior, if there is a major extraction or dental surgery involved. Forewarned IS forearmed for my patients....'cos they can't tell me how they're doing :shock:
( I am a Vet.)

If a quick extraction WILL relieve the pain and allow the infection to drain, then we'll do it...but there are always lots of high power antibiotics on board before we start.

What have your Onc and Dentist said. They are the ones I would listen to for your own situation.
PM me if you need more info ????

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Please inform your onc (prescriber of the Avastin) of this development, due to the possible bleeding issues.

Best of luck,
Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 pm

To echo what CRguy said, the dentist at my local cancer center said that if they need to do surgery for infected teeth they CAN, although they prefer to get things under control with antibiotics if possible.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:45 am

I lost 2 teeth thanks to oxilaplatin. Same tooth on each side. My dentist who seemed to know more about chemo and teeth than my onc. said it's not unusual. I was off the avastin for about 2 months and then had it pulled. My platelet count was also in the normal range. I don't think they'll pull it with either of those factors. See if the antibiotic takes care of it and if it still bothers you and it's not infected any longer try to hold off until your through with chemo. I waited on the second one for over six months because I didn't have dental at the time.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

bz45

Postby bz45 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 am

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences. CRguy, you've really been helpful; don't think there's much difference between me and your patients. I do see the onc on Monday and dentist is just down the hall. Hope they've had a chance to confer. I don't like waiting another 3 months to resolve this, but if they can get rid of the pain, I can manage. Thanks again.
dx rc 4/09
Stage IIIC T4a N1 Mx
APR with perm. colostomy 6/09
FOLFOX + Avastin 9/09 - 2/10
Blood spotting 12/10
Biopsy 1/13 confirms re-occurence; unresectable
Chemorad 17tx 3/11-4/11
Internal rad 3tx 6/11

drose
Facebook Username: send message

Postby drose » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm

I was so surprised to read these posts. My husband has had a problem with an abcessed tooth since he was on oxaliplatin. Just keeping it under control with antibiotics and pain meds until his next treatment break. I did not realize that was another problem to add to the list. Thanks so much for the information.
HB age 50
CC w mets to liver lung lymph 09-10
folfox w av x 8 txt - stable w cavitation
Maint 5fu w. av x 11 txt -stable
txt break for toxicity- cea -mass progression
folfiri w av x 5 txt -cea up
folfox w av x 2 -allergic
Erbitux w CPT 11 rash

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”