If you could take to the hospital what would it be?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
patrickscribe

Postby patrickscribe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:18 pm

As someone else said, boxer shorts or some other easy pull-on shorts and a pair of sweatpants. Make sure they're loose enough in the legs for your catheter tube to string out the bottom.

A couple T-shirts that are a little large so the doctors and nurses can easily pull them aside to get at the healing incisions.

Both of those are real important. The sooner you can ditch the gown, the more like a real person you'll feel. And you'll be much more comfortable moving around if you're not worried about your backside hanging out.

A pair of easy-on slippers so you can start walking in your unit before you can really bend over.

Easy-on shoes - no buckles, no laces - that you can slip into while standing. Again - so you can move around before you can really bend.

Portable DVD player and iPod (or other MP3 player) really help. You will hit a point where you feel much better and you're just sitting there waiting to pass gas or have a bowel movement before the docs will let you leave. You'll be bored.

The music on headphones also made a big difference for me. If you can, get a couple albums that you can easily lose yourself in and almost be hypnotized or lulled by. Sleeping can be hard the first couple days and something that can make your mind drift along really makes it easier.
Age 38, diagnosed and had right hemi-colectomy in March 2007
Stage 2A, no mets, 27 lymph nodes clear
Completed 8 doses 5FU/Leucovorin/oxaliplatin, 4 5-FU/leucovorin
NED!

KP

Postby KP » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Alot has been covered here! I didn't read EVERY one, so I may add some duplicates..

(1) Ipod or similar for zoning out/privacy with Bose Noise-Canceling headset if possible!
(2) I bought a pda (blackberry) so I could email without a bulky laptop
(3) Something of your own to wear rather than the hospital gown (easy access)
(4) Lip Care (I saw chapstick on many lists!)
(5) Digital Camera.. I actually enjoyed taking pics of visitors, the flowers I got, parts of "my experience"
(6) Slippers/flipflops/Crocs for walks
(7) Depending upon your hospital, some "cruising around clothes" where you might visit the hospital store, etc and feel comfortable

+ like others said (toiletries, pillow)

GOSH LOTS TO BRING!! It also depends upon how long you'll be there... I was there for 12 days.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
KP
Stage IV (liver mets), dx 7/06
Liver & Colon Resection: 7/07
Liver Recurrence: 12/07

KP

Postby KP » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Alot has been covered here! I didn't read EVERY one, so I may add some duplicates..

(1) Ipod or similar for zoning out/privacy with Bose Noise-Canceling headset if possible!
(2) I bought a pda (blackberry) so I could email without a bulky laptop
(3) Something of your own to wear rather than the hospital gown (easy access)
(4) Lip Care (I saw chapstick on many lists!)
(5) Digital Camera.. I actually enjoyed taking pics of visitors, the flowers I got, parts of "my experience"
(6) Slippers/flipflops/Crocs for walks
(7) Depending upon your hospital, some "cruising around clothes" where you might visit the hospital store, etc and feel comfortable

+ like others said (toiletries, pillow)

GOSH LOTS TO BRING!! It also depends upon how long you'll be there... I was there for 12 days.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

KP

Stage IV (liver mets), dx 7/06

Liver & Colon Resection: 7/07

Liver Recurrence: 12/07

Lou

If you could take to the hospital what would it be?

Postby Lou » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks everyone!!!
I have gone and bought almost everything on the list. I think my favorite is the boxer shorts, I would not have thought of that. My husbands are way too big. By brother was funny. He said your not going to India if you need something we can bring it to you.
One thing I have not bought. Do we get a shower? I was not sure. I will get a mini shower pa.ck I guess in hopes. Is a hair dryer needed? just for a little vainty make up?
I have enjoyed shopping for these now I feel like I am just setting and waiting. I can just feel the anxiety building in me. My poor daughters think mommy is going crazy. :shock: :shock: . It will be the longest I have ever been away from them, that will be the hardest part I think.
I wish I still had my childhood lovie blanket. Boy that would be nice.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:12 pm

As I recall I couldn't shower for at least several days because of dressings. I did sponge baths at the bathroom sink. That's why I used the no-rinse shampoo. I brought along a nice fuzzy throw blanket. I bought one for myself, but my daughter decided I should bring hers. It had the word 'Princess' all over it. I thought it was quite appropriate. I expected to be treated like one, and I was.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi everyone,
first post here and just to tag along, my indispensibles seemed to be :

-iPod - for zoning out to meditation music or sounds
-notebook - keeping track of nurses names ( for thank you's later ), and oral instructions, always needed to know meds and times...just me.
-LifeSavers - the only thing to get hospital creamed soup taste out of my mouth !
-cell phone
-"junk' bag which would hang right by my side and organize my "junk"
-reading material

probably others but many have been mentioned......

However I did not see any references to very much more personal non-things like :

1. sense of humour...this will be tough and although you may be going thru a rough spot..when you are able, greet the nurses and doctors with a smile and joke around a bit. You will become a "person" to them not just a patient or a "case". Trust me.

2. indomitable spirit and courage....even tougher to do than #1 BUT you are the only one who can have it. Other people won't be able to give it to you. It is there within you and you can find it now.

3. support system...friends, family, prayer. faith...whatever sustains you as a person.

4. Hope, trust and the knowledge that you are now doing the best thing for yourself, for what you need right now. Things will change with time but right NOW is what counts.

5. The "need" to get out of the hospital and get home !! don't get too comfortable lying there being "served" 24/7 ..yes it is OK to lay back for a while when you need to rest and recover, but you will want to move ahead in your treatment and you want to embrace the next steps.

6. the desire not to "become the disease." Your health care team needs you to be involved in moving ahead, not staying locked in what seems like a negative place. Try talking about something other than your illness when visitors come. You can always share "patient" stuff online here where others have "been there" also.

Not trying to be too preachy. Everyone is really on their own journey BUT I did want to share what seemed to work for me to get me this far.

best wishes to all

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

brigita

Postby brigita » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:29 pm

The one thing I wish I had after my recent LAR--eye shades/a sleep mask!

They wake you up at all hours to take vitals, draw blood, administer meds and of course have to turn on all the lights to do so (or maybe it was just my grumpy night nurse?), so the more of that you can sleep through, the better!
Stage III rectal @ 33, 4.5mo postpartum
Ovary transpo: 12/07
33 tx rad+Xeloda: 2/08
Lap LAR 0/11 +nodes: 3/08
8 FOLFOX tx: 8/08
Ileo reversal: 9/08
CIPN since 10/08
Normal uterus + lame ovaries = infertile
26.2 11/13
http://mycancerdeployment.blogspot.com

christyblum

Postby christyblum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:33 am

I have not heard anyone say cough drops , chloraseptic spray or hard candies to help keep youtr mouth moist. I suck on life savers to keep the taste of my mouth and the dryness issues at bay.

My throat was so sore from the NG tube down my throat into my stomach. I had it down my throat for 4 days they never told me I would have this and that I would not be able to eat nothing but ice chips until it was removed it was so hard. I don't know if you will have one, but I think it was the worst part of my surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Christy
37 years old with stage 3 colon cancer had colon resection Dec 31st/2007 1 out of 10 lymph nodes positive had Chemo Feb/08-Aug/08 all tests have come back NED. Praise God!!

AngelaW

Postby AngelaW » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:04 pm

I agree with Christy. The worst part was the NG tube. I had that dreaded thing 3 times last year.
Rectal Cancer Dx 11-2-06 Age 38
Stage IIIC 7/16 nodes +
5FU/Rads prior to LAR on 1-31-07
R/V Fistula 4/07
2nd LAR 5-4-07 plus colostomy
FOLFOX done 11-6-07
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/angelawalker
Breast Cancer/Dbl mastectomy 8-11-08

Lou

Re: If you could take to the hospital what would it be?

Postby Lou » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:26 am

bumping as requested
diag: 2-2-08
LAR 2-25-08
w/ temporary ileostomy
Tumor found early because of family history w/polyps and luck (feel extremely blessed)
reversal (CANCELLED!!!)
Breast Cancer DX:6-20-08
Lumpectomy 6-25-08
chemo & radiation done 12-08
Ileo takedown 2-09

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:43 am

I didnt bring any clothes. I figured accident wise, I would use their clothing. But I defintely benefitted from having:

Cell phone and charger
IPOD
magazines

My hair was so matted and yucky. I used the hair shampoo in a package they had. Although that made my head feel clean for that day, it created "helmut hair", and looked more crazy, than my dirty hair from surgery. A girl (med tech)used to come around each morning with hot wipes to wipe yourself down, and clean up a bit! She would always wipe my back for me, as I couldnt reach. I appreciated that!

Also I was extremely nauseau and couldnt eat after the (colon rescetion)surgery. I never felt like reading. Glad to have cell phone to speak to realtives and friends, (be careful, I went WAY over my minutes while doing this, came home to a $400 cell phone bill). Cause if you are calling a land line, you are charged for the minutes.

One of my roommates, was having trouble getting a bed pan in time, and had many accidents in her bed. I was very nauseau all the time, but that would elevate it. A resident Dr came in to see me, and told me to take an alcohol prep pad and just put it under your nose and breathe. It eliminates the smells around you and all you smell is the alcohol. I cant tell you how many times that came in handy and kept me from throwing up!

I was in the hospital for 8 days for my colon restructure.

Good Luck!
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 am

thanks, Lou, for bumping this. I couldn't remember the name of the thread, or the OP, and couldn't find it with any of the keywords I could think of.
Here's the link to the thread I started a couple days ago, so even if these two threads are never merged, at least someone reading one can find the other:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3869
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:03 am

Since I was taken to the hospital emergently I didn't have any personal stuff with me besides the clothes I was wearing. I was there for 8 weeks and as I started feeling better I remember reading a lot of books (fiction, mystery, as an escape) and doing a lot of crossword puzzles. I think I went through 3 crossword puzzle books. Also, I had my Bible and a statue of an angel right on the table next to my bed -- the angel to remind me of who was in control - lol! I would have loved to have had a laptop at the time so I could have played games. For me it was anything to help me escape the trauma of the situation I was in. In the nursing home I did a lot of knitting...again pure relaxation type of stuff.
Pam

I Peter 5:10-11

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

*Faith is the wind that blows the sail of our ship to the desired destination."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”