daddy will start chemo, I am a little bit concerned!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Marty7

daddy will start chemo, I am a little bit concerned!

Postby Marty7 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Ih!!!

daddy is going to start chemo on 22th december... I know he has to, but I am afraid.... I don't wanto to see him suffer.. :|

But, I would to ask you above all: suggestions about diet and all the other "solutions" to minimize pains.

I don't know jet if he will have folfox o folfiri, are there different side effects??
Last edited by Marty7 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daughter of dad with RC stage 3C
colonscopy may 2011
xelox and radiations pre-surgery
sept. 2011 surgery
dec 2011 xeliri + avastin

"L'arte della vita sta nell'imparare a soffrire e nell'imparare a sorridere"

annalexandria

Re: daddy will star chemo, I am a little bit concerned!

Postby annalexandria » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Dear Marty, I'm sorry your dad has to go through this, cancer is hard on everyone in a family, not just the patient. There will be differences between the two chemo...I had FOLFOX and found that the biggest issues were the things that seem common to most chemos, diarrhea and nausea. For me the very best medications were Ativan (an anti-anxiety drug) for the nausea and lomotil for the diarrhea. Finding the right drug can be very much a matter of trial and error, as each peson reacts a bit differently to things. The key for your dad is to avoid getting dehydrated, so you might want to help him find drinks that taste good to him during chemo. Cold drinks probably won't be great if he develops another common side effect, cold sensitivity. For me, this made drinking cold drinks impossible; it also helped to have thin gloves to wear around the house to be able to handle stuff from the fridge. The final thing I dealt with was neuropathy (numbness and tingling in the hands, feet and legs). My doctor had me start taking glutamine powder for it (and for some chemo patients where I was treated it's standard right from the start). You can buy it at a vitamins store, and it does help improve these symptoms. I wish my doc had started me on it as soon as I started chemo, so you might suggest to your dad that he check with his doctor about this. Getting through chemo is not easy, but your dad will be able to do it. In fact, I've had several friends who managed to work and continue on with other aspects of life without too much difficulty during chemo-just have to adjust to the way the treatment cycle plays out, and plan for when there will be days that will require staying home and resting. And it looks like he's going to have some terrific family support, and that is definitely critical! Keep us posted on how things go with your dad, and hang in there, Ann
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

Ashlee H.

Re: daddy will star chemo, I am a little bit concerned!

Postby Ashlee H. » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 pm

There is a difference between FOLFOX and FOLFIRI side effects. Once you know which one it is, you can do a search here a get a ton of advice. As I'm sure you've heard, everyone is different. I agree keeping hydrated should be the #1 concern. Eating soft foods, high in calories and protein is also important . He'll want to stay away from any foods that are not easy to digest. I'm a rare duck regarding this, but I tend to find I do better if I go into chemo with a completely empty digestive system. But, for others, they need to eat before chemo. My Onc has always had me take B6 twice a day and I haven't had the permanent neuropathy issues with FOLFOX or the hand/foot syndrome with FOLFIRI (although my hands do get dry). I would suggest the he listen to his body. If it needs to rest, rest. Fatigue has been my worse side effect from both of the chemos. I've just learned I can't do what I could before DX, and once I got that into my head, things have been much better.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Marty7

Re: daddy will start chemo, I am a little bit concerned!

Postby Marty7 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:13 pm

many many thanks Ann and Ashlee!

so, I wrote all your suggestions in my notes....
- Ativan
-lomotil
-drink (not cold drinks)
- glutamine powder
-soft food, in high calories
- B6

I'll keep you updated!!!!

touch wood :)
colonscopy may 2011
sept. 2011 surgery

SunGold

Postby SunGold » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Marty7
We had a 'chemo teach' session prior to starting chemo where a nurse handed us a huge binder and also went over various sections with us - medications, side effects, diet, etc.. It was immensely useful in giving us a feel for what to expect the next day. The list of side effects is long - different people have different combinations and varying degrees of side effects. She also went over 'when to call the doctor', weekend on call procedures, knowing the nearest 24 hr pharmacy phone/location, etc. these pointers were useful too. She also marked on our calendar what meds to take when.

Pl. do check to see if your infusion clinic offers this session.
Good luck and best wishes for everything to go well.

Sungold.
Caregiver to DH,42 at Dx 8/11 mCRC Stg 4 liver mets
Surg/Rad not option.
Xel+Oxi 8/11
Tumors shrink
Oxi end 2/12
Radiatn 3/12, V.tough
5/12-Incr in liver mets,possible lung mets, no surg.
5/14 Folfiri+Erbitux
June 2012 - Passed away, Gone too soon.

Marty7

Postby Marty7 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 pm

ih Sungold, many thanks fot the information, it's very interesting!!!

I will check if in our hospital there's this service, and I hope we can have it, (it would be very useful...)
colonscopy may 2011
sept. 2011 surgery

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:38 pm

When it comes to chemo, I was a lot more apprehensive than need be. I have had a relatively easy time with it. For me it was just an inconvienience at times. Yes I had the diarhea, constipation and eventually the cold sensitivity in my hands. I am lucky that the cold drinks have not bothered me. The chemo pump is annoying but livable. I really hated it after 7 weeks of chemo/rad. I finally got it off yesterday, and have taken 3 bathes up to my neck already. Everyone is different, and I sure hope the best for your Dad. After his first or second tx, he should be able to divise something that will work for him.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

abuttigi

Postby abuttigi » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Marty,

It is terrifying to see your dad so sick. Trust me, the first time I saw my dad after chemo I had to leave because I started crying. As a daughter, the best thing you can do for your dad is bring him normalcy. When I took my dad to infusions this summer, I use to bring him a laptop to play games and surf the internet (mostly to look at sports) and brought the newspaper to play puzzles. When we got home, we tried to play games with him, watch TV with him, and just spend time together as a family so he could get comfortable and rest. Another big thing was laughter. I always tried to play jokes and to say funny things, even if it was about his chemo to lighten the mood. For instance, we now have a "poop dance" to bring on the poop if he is feeling constipated. Funny, yes, and, believe it or not, it works. Managing the side effects is very important, but being strong as a family and trying to maintain a sense of normalcy is sometimes the best medicine.

Always here for you dear,

Angie
Daughter to George (64)
Dx'ed Jan '11 Stage IV CC liver and peritoneum, KRAS mutant
Folfox
Folfori, Avastin
SIRT
Aug '12- progression in liver, mets to lungs
Oct '12- mets to bone, Regorafenib
Nov '12- Hospice
12/10/12- Became my beautiful angel in heaven

drose
Facebook Username: send message

Postby drose » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:19 pm

I am so sorry about your father. I know it is terrifying for a loved one to start chemotherapy. I would recommend good communications with his physician and being proactive with medications for managment of his symptoms. Especially for nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. There are some really good drugs out there. Just make sure he uses them. Best of luck to you!
HB age 50
CC w mets to liver lung lymph 09-10
folfox w av x 8 txt - stable w cavitation
Maint 5fu w. av x 11 txt -stable
txt break for toxicity- cea -mass progression
folfiri w av x 5 txt -cea up
folfox w av x 2 -allergic
Erbitux w CPT 11 rash

Fede

Postby Fede » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Marty7 wrote:Ih!!!

daddy is going to start chemo on 22th december... I know he has to, but I am afraid.... I don't wanto to see him suffer.. :|

But, I would to ask you above all: suggestions about diet and all the other "solutions" to minimize pains.

I don't know jet if he will have folfox o folfiri, are there different side effects??

Hi, marty

Dont worry your dady will not suffer, my father received 8th round of Folfox more Avastin, side effects are manageables. of course all we have scared, but all will be better, try to ask your onc if could add avastin I think is a good combination, because avastin cut the food that use bad cells for live and multiply themselves, so require this medicine, it could help your father, without scared, tell your onc about it.
Sometimes, they no add the avastin for the high cost, but heard more opinions of people here with huge knowledges.

I wish the best for you and your dady.

Fede

Marty7

Postby Marty7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Tahks folcks! you are so cute!

Fede, I've already asked about avastin to the onc, he said that we can't give him it now because daddy is suffering from hemorrhagic cystitis.. and this news let me down :cry: I had a lot of hopes about avastin... but now it's not possibile.

PS: Angie you are a very lovely person... I look up to you! and obviously I am here for you too...

I will remember all your advices.. and I'll try to be strong.

bear huge everybody

Marty
colonscopy may 2011
sept. 2011 surgery

Marty7

Postby Marty7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm

folks I need you...
today I got a bad news.. I spoke with the onc and he said , now, we can't do "traditional" chemo... we can do only capecitebina beacause of cystitis and the complications after surgery. :cry: :cry: maybe he will add others drugs in future.. but now he's not sure... :(
This jurney is very hard.. every day there are troubles.. we want to fight but the destiny doesn't give us this possibility.

Marty
colonscopy may 2011
sept. 2011 surgery

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Marty, I'm so sorry you got bad news. I've been living with cancer for over two years, and I have been in the "now what?" phase several times. It's scary and frustrating. I would suggest you post this again as a new post, so people will realize you have news to share and questions to ask? I think you'll get more responses that way. I don't have any specialized advice to offer, except to say that I haven't had any successful chemo and for me, surgery has been the big thing to keep me going. Is it possible your dad might have more surgical options that could be tried? Surgery is a huge part of longevity in cancer treatment, even more so than chemo, from what I've read. I'll be keeping you and your dad in my thoughts, Ann
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

Marty7

Postby Marty7 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:56 pm

thank you so much for your words dear Ann!

I know surgery is very important... and I hope.. from the bottom of my heart , surgeon has done a good job.. but you know it's very difficult to trust doctor totally...

I've posted again my question in an other topic.

thanks for your prayers, I will pray for you me too. :)
colonscopy may 2011
sept. 2011 surgery

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”