Colon Resection Recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sumit22

Colon Resection Recovery

Postby sumit22 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:10 pm

My wife had her resection on 3/4/2008 and the procedure went very well, she was home in 5 days. She is on a mild pain reliever and she has been doing well, thank God.

Question is, How long did it take after your resection before you noticed the abdominal pain had gone away?

I know this is major surgery and I am relieved my wife is doing well, but I am wondering if it will take 2weeks, 4weeks, 8weeks before she will notice that she is pain free(or at least close to pain free).

Thanks

AJS
Facebook Username: Angie Jennings Stratton

Postby AJS » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:29 pm

I am glad your wife is doing well. I had my resection at the end of Dec., was home in 5 days as well and before I left the hospital I was off all major pain medication. The only thing I was taking was Tylenol. I had hardly any pain after I came home. I was only sore from the surgery and "tender" where the incision was and that lasted maybe a week and a half or so and I was able to use the Tylenol to manage that.
[size=50][color=#FF00FF]Diverticulitis/Resection 12/27/07
Dx 1/08-Stage IIIA CC-2/15 Lymph Nodes-42 yrs old
2/08-8/08 -Folfox/Erbitux
Hysterectomy 3/09-CC on Ovary-Folfiri&Avastin
1/12-resection,bladder surgery,illeostomy
3/12-Illeostomy takedown
5/13-Folfiri/Avastin

ray

Postby ray » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Sumit22,

I was in for 7 days and pretty much pain free by the time I got home. Sure I was uncomfortable but I'd say by the 10th day I was well past the point of needing heavy duty pain meds.

By the middle of the third week, I was able to walk 3 miles up and down hills at age 47. By the 5th week, I hauled a bushel of tomatoes out of the garden. Not a very wise move, but I managed to not hurt myself!

It probably took several months before I lost that "sloshing around" feeling. It takes a while for everything to settle back in place.

Ray
Diagnosed at age 47 after bleeding for many years
Stage II, T3N0M0
Sigmoid resection 8-20-02, 6 mo 5fu/leucovoran
Currently NED.

Traveler001

Postby Traveler001 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey Summit22,

Glad to hear that everything went well. Im sure the doc told you and your wife that walking around is a good thing. It will help speed up the healing process in general. The pain will fade away in time.

When is she scheduled to resume chemo?

-Traveler001
Diagnosed June '07
Laparoscopic LAR surgery - 7/12/07
Stage IIIC 4/21 nodes
FOLFOX6 and Erbitux started 8/24/07
Completed 11 / 12 on 1/15/08
NED
New 4.5 cm lung mass and lymph nodes discovered 7/12
Folfiri w/ Avastin on 9/14/12 - 11/29/12

arleneh

resection recovery

Postby arleneh » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Good luck with your wife's recovery. I didn't let it stop me (back to work & even traveling by plane for work), but for me, it took a good 5 weeks from surgery to feel pain free. Sorry for this graphic, but it felt like someone was shoving something up my butt for most of the 5 weeks. I had my entire sigmoid plus my upper rectum removed. The actual locataion of the resection (besides individual response & tolerance)probably makes a difference in how people react & heal post surgery. Good luck with a speedy pain free recovery.
Stage 3a, T1N1,M0 (2 of 23 nodes positive) on FOLFOX, surgery 11/10/07, chemo started 12/19/07, need 12 cycles - Upper West Side, New York City

DJ

Re: Colon Resection Recovery

Postby DJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm

I had Laprascopic sigmoid colon resection on November 4 th. I was in the hospital for 6 days, getting out before noon on the 6th day... I had very little surgical nausia, and ofcourse the wonderful pain pump!! .My surgeon was Dr Michael Paige, Iowa Health Clinic (Ia Methodist Hosp)...WONDERFUL DOCTOR!!!!!! I suffered for years with colon issues, with the last few years with numerous attacks of diverticulitus.. NOT FUN!!!!! I had forgotten how it felt to feel GOOD!!!... It is now Jan 5th.. I feel soooooo Good... I followed DR's orders to the letter... I rested at home for a week with paid meds every 3 hrs the first 3 to 4 days.. Then only 1 or 2 pain pills a day... I tried going back to work the 2nd week home just a few hrs each morning and was most ready to go home and hit the recliner the remainder of the day.. The 3rd week out of the hospital, I lasted till noon to 1:00 and went home and SLEPT!!! each afternoon... for SERVERAL HRS.... Evidently that it what my body needed... the 4th week out of the hospital i was full days at work but very tired by day end.. ( I am an office manager... desk job but lots of walking and up and down.>> I did get a bit discouraged by week 5 as I had a few days here and there where I just did not feel great, just kinda punk.. My bowels have been fine.. 1 - 3 a day and normal... I have added more fiber (Fiber one cereal...) just the other day and WOW ,, guess I will wait a while before I try that... I am eating vegetables, nuts, salads. and such with no problem...
I am SOooooooo glad I had surgery before I perforated/// They took 18" instead of 12 as first thought and also removed my Falopian Tube and my one remaining ovary as they were a inflamed mangled up mess, Dr Said.....
Good Luck to All!!! and if you are wondering if you should have the surgery or not... Do IT !!!!! You will not be sorry....
DJ
Iowa

J. Eanes

Postby J. Eanes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Sigmoid colon removal done March 2, 2010. Complete open abdominal cut 12". My damage was very high on the left side. I went for a couple of months with little discomfort. I am now having multiple BM's a day, mostly loose, pain, burning, and some stinging sensations in my lower left side. I am sometimes sick on my stomach just after a meal. Tylenol don't work; I am still having to use prescribed pain meds. My last followup is in 2 weeks. What should I expect ?

waw4

Postby waw4 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Was your wife's surgery laprascopic or open incision? Recovery time, healing time, etc. will most likely differ and be dependent on type of surgery experienced.
Bill's Colonoscopy 6/29/10; Dx Stage I or II
Surgery 7/15/10; Dx Stage III,15/32 lymph nodes
FOLFOX4 start 9/14/10; end 1/20/11 (9 tx)
2021 dx MSH6 Lynch Syndrome positive
(as are my brother, sister & son, but not daughter)
Grateful for 2nd Chance NED time!

jmg

Postby jmg » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 am

I had a sigmoid resection three weeks ago (tomorrow). I have only been on Tylenol occasionally since I returned home. Some bit of small pain still when getting up, etc., but overall, so happy with results....so much less trauma than I anticipated by doing it laparascopically. I was terrified and so far, it has been a smooth ride. Three weeks out, I can walk about 1/2 mile, do light household chores (make my own meals) and get up and out of bed/chairs without any more assistance. Hoping to continue the good progress. Good luck, all....don't be afraid.

ST1954

Postby ST1954 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:27 am

I had laparoscopic sigmoid resection and loosening of splenic adhesions on 7/12. Believe it or not, my doctor let me come home on the evening of the 13th. I managed okay - just took meds and slept mostly for several days. Today is the 19th and I drove to the pharmacy myself for thank you notes. No pain meds. Our church family has been great about bringing food so haven't had to do much food preparation. Up until yesterday, it felt like someone was pulling my insides out overtime I turned to the right or coughed. Still mild pain with coughing, but much better. Dr. gave me six weeks off work. but will see how I progress just adding a little more activity each day for a while.

Hope your wife's recovery is very quick and that all goes well.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:38 pm

I had a low anterior resection (5-inch incision below my navel), and it took a good 5 weeks before I felt consistently good. As to pain, the worst part, after the first week or two, was riding in a car. I have a 70-minute drive to work (one way) and I felt every bump in the road for a few weeks. It gets better, but it takes time. That said, I was back on my bicycle at 6 weeks and riding pain-free, 20-50 miles per ride.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

TheFlagChick

Postby TheFlagChick » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:48 am

I just had my resectioning on August 26th. I am not recouping no where nerly as fast as I had expected.....but reading these posts gives me hope that things will improve in time. Did have to go yesterday and have a roto rooter session due to blockage.....so hopefully this will help the healing process. One day at a time.

sinsofromeo
Facebook Username: aj sklba

Postby sinsofromeo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:38 pm

First Im glad to have found a group that has gone through this and can talk about it.

I have gone through 2 resectionings . First one was about 1.5 years ago resulting in a temp. Hartmans colostomy (which was reversed 3 months later) and most recently in march of this year. I went in for gallbladder removal which in itself turned out really rough. out patient turned into a 2 day stay and then was sent home with severe abdominal pain. 5 days later I was back in the ER with my wound oozing. turns out during the procedure they claim that scar tissue tore my small intestine . during the inflation from gallbladder procedure and they needed to take me in for another rescectioning and severe wound care due to an abscess in my wound.

6 months now and i still have days where i hurt. I have never really lost the empty feeling (probally just mental) and find now i deal with alot of cramping in my muscles similar to charlie horses. I always feel like my muscles are strained or being pulled. never have really found any relief from that. Its been hard dealing with all that. AT 38 y/o now my wife and I just had a baby. I find it hard to even hold her for long with out arm support because it just seems like my core cant handle the extra strain.

Wondering if anyone else has similar pain issues or sensations. Sorry to be so long winded for just a simple question.

Katiebug

Postby Katiebug » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Had my colon resection in January of 2011. I returned to the hospital with pancreatitis 2 weeks later. My energy level has never really returned. I force myself to exercise. Every bite of food causes me upper abdominal pain for about an hour minimum. I eat small meals 5-6 times a day and have not gained back any of the weight I lost. My intestinal tract refuses to work properly. I have to take something at least 3 times a week to have a BM (sorry to be so graphic). After 8 months I would think this should be done! Anyone else been through anything like this?

kdee

Postby kdee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 pm

I had my resection on Oct. 2. 2011. I had sigmoid diverticulitis, ruptured and 6" was removed.
I'm in my 5th week of recovery. I still have some discomfort. I get a burning or pinching pain.
I think this is from my abdominal healing.
Before my surgery I was very active, running, weight lifting,etc. I'm certainly not up to that yet.
I can see from the posts that everyone seems to heal differently and at a different pace.
This forum was very helpful.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”