Ideas on boosting my white blood counts?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
christyblum

Ideas on boosting my white blood counts?

Postby christyblum » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 pm

I just finished my secnond chemo treatment and they almost did not give me the second treatment, because my white blood cell counts were a little low. they said the dr wants them at 1.5 or higher and they were 1.1. On Saturday I'm getting a shot to help stimulate the growth of my white blood cell. My understandidng of this shot will make my bones hurt and I will feel like flu achey in my bones for about 24hrs. I don't want to have this shot on a regular basis, so I"m hoping for your ideas. Thanks Christy
37 years old with stage 3 colon cancer had colon resection Dec 31st/2007 1 out of 10 lymph nodes positive had Chemo Feb/08-Aug/08 all tests have come back NED. Praise God!!

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:19 pm

For what it's worth, I do get the shot every time (3 X so far) and it has never hurt my bones - though I was warned about it. The chemo nurses said that it tends to hurt people with arthritis and/or chronic back pain more than others. Sometimes my skin feels a little sensitive if my husband tries to give me a back massage, but it's not bad at all. I guess I'm lucky. And it has helped my white blood count a lot.

Another CC patient who gets chemo when I do takes a 'Chinese Herbal' supplement that she gets from her acupuncture therapist that is supposed to help. She ran this by her oncologist first before taking it and she approved it. Her oncologist, who is different than mine, doesn't want to give her the shot as she doesn't think she will handle it well. My oncologist disapproved this supplement as he was not comfortable with the number of ingredients in it and not knowing how each one would react with the chemo drugs.

Both oncologists work at the same cancer center - just different approaches to treatment.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

christyblum

Postby christyblum » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 pm

That sounds great I know they always worn people of the worst. Thanks for your message. Christry
37 years old with stage 3 colon cancer had colon resection Dec 31st/2007 1 out of 10 lymph nodes positive had Chemo Feb/08-Aug/08 all tests have come back NED. Praise God!!

Hawaii

Postby Hawaii » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:14 am

I had that shot on the last day of each treatment week, with no pain or problems. And my counts only dipped once in the beginning. The other 5 months, no problems.
Dx March '07, transverse resection done
stage III, 27 lymph nodes removed- 1 positive
Surgery to remove the 1 positive node
finished chemo Dec. '07, Folfox, Oxal.
NED!! 2022

Janey

Postby Janey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 am

Hi Christy, all my sessions while I was on Folfox were delayed because of low white blood counts and low platelets. Sometimes treatment was delayed for up to 3 weeks. I had to have the shots and oh boy first of all the shot itself was extremely painfull and then for 6 days afterwards I would have spasms in my spinal cord. Didn,t like that at all. Because of all the delays and a serious reaction to Oxalyplatin I was changed to Xeloda. Once on that the counts were ok to continue with the chemo.
Janey

sandym

Postby sandym » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 pm

I have made it thru 7 rounds with no shots (yet). My white counts actually have risen the last 2 rounds so I think the oxy was bringing them down quite a bit. I do eat a lot of veggies and protein and take a suppliment and the onc thinks that could be helping also. I am currently on Irinotecan and 5FU/luekovarin.
43 Year Old Female/Mom/Wife
Colon Resection/Hysterctomy Oct 08/2 Ports Surgeries
Folfox/Folfiri/Cisplatin/Irinotecan/Xeloda
Who knows what now?

margotmagoo

some thoughts..

Postby margotmagoo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 pm

A friend gave me a recipe book called Eating Well Through Cancer and it has recipes for all types of side effects including Neutropenia. I was also told of herbal remedies though my doc is not a fan of anything other that modern medicine. He feels that it can be detrimental to chemo so I am having trouble finding a balance between modern med and homeopathic remedies. Reishii mushroom capsules and Astragalus and both immune system boosters and you can run that by your doc. Let me know what you find out. I am curious as to what opinions other docs have on herbal meds while on chemo.
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

wendysafrica

Postby wendysafrica » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm

I was told by a good friend of mine to eat 4 almonds a day for the WBC. I ate lots of all sorts of nuts and have had no problems so far with counts. Worth a try, and nuts are tasty and nutrituous anyway. First check with your onco before starting immune boosters - I know mine doesn't recommend any immune boosting while actually on chemo.
Cheerio
Wendy

rcmcindy

Postby rcmcindy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 pm

I really don't know how to say any of this. I cannot believe how young everyone is fighting this battle. I too, have been presented with the challenge at age 46. I started my first FOLFOX treatment on Februrary 18th. I am proud of all of you who are dealing with this in such a positive manner and helping each other. I hope to be on the other side after the treatments maybe knowing more what to say to people dealing with cancer. My parents both are survivors of cancer and I admire them so much. This is a wonderful website. I am saying my prayers for everyone and thinking of you all.

MCA

Postby MCA » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:05 am

Hello. My white counts were very low during chemo. At one point it was down to 0.9 but my Onc did not want to give me shots because he believed that it would be too painful for me. I am very small ( 5 foot 2 weighs 100 lbs). He said that the shot is especially painful on someone small in size and he rather monitor my condition during chemo. Luckily my treatment was not delayed in any way and I completed all 10 treatments ( 5FU + Oxali) with no major complications. However, I was warned by my Onc to stay away from anyone who was sick and to go to the hospital right away if I had a fever (anything over 99 degree). I hope this info will help. Good luck on your treatment.

Channie

Dx at 34 years old Stage II CC completed chemo Dec 2006.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”