Lynch Syndrome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pmterra

Lynch Syndrome

Postby pmterra » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to understand Lynch Syndrome. I've seen it mentioned on the board a few times. My understanding is that it is a genetic indicator of a person's potential to develop CC. My husband was dx at 51. At that time we didn't think there was any history of CC in his family; however, we are finding out that there just might be. His dad had "stomach problems" but no one thinks it was cancer. They remember it being a hiatal hernia for which he had surgery. He died years later from lung cancer w/ met to his brain. My sister-in-law had the whipple procedure done 2 years ago as a preventative to pancreatic cancer. She had some cysts on her pancreas that had the potential to turn cancerous. She was told that there was a great risk that they would eventually. In the meantime we've learned that two of my father-in-law's siblings suffered from stomach and digestive issues and they think that his aunt was dx with CC after she was placed in a nursing home. She passed a few years back. It's difficult getting info as most of these relatives have passed on.

My question is: should my sons be tested for lynch syndrome based on what we know (which isn't much). The boys are 25 and 27 years old. My brothers-in-law both had colonoscopies after my husband was diagnosed and one had a couple of polyps that may have eventually turned. He had to go back a year later and now in 3 years. Maybe I'm just looking for things to worry about :roll: !! I will ask our oncologist but thought I'd get some opinions from you all. Thanks for any information you can offer!

~Paula
caregiver to survivor husband
Stage 3C - Colon
surgery June, 2008
6 mo. chemo/FOLFOX & Avastin
June 2015 - 7 year survivor :)

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Re: Lynch Syndrome

Postby janklo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I think you would had to have had your husband's tumor tested at the time of his surgery to see if he has Lynch Syndrome, that would be the best way to find out. If they didn't do that at the time of his surgery, you could see if the pathology dept has a specimen they could send for testing now.

This is one of the "symptoms" of Lynch Syndrome: Multiple relatives with any HNPCC-associated tumor, including colorectal cancer. Other HNPCC-associated tumors are those affecting the endometrium, ovaries, stomach, small intestine, kidney, brain or pancreas and sebaceous tumors of the skin.

So it sounds like the family history be be suspect for Lynch Syndrome!
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Re: Lynch Syndrome

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Well, given that your husband is the one with cancer, the testing should start there. If he's negative, your kids should be fine
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”