Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:40 pm

Well, I had the OsmoPrep pills on Monday. Really no big deal. HOWEVER - and this IS important. OsmoPrep has a tendency to dehydrate you very quickly, so you really MUST drink a lot of liquids when you use this prep. I thought that I had, but it may have contributed to the problem of having so much difficulty getting an IV line in me.

Just remember that if you do these pills (DRINK, DRINK, DRINK & more DRINK!!)

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

rbautry@juno.com

MoviPrep

Postby rbautry@juno.com » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:06 pm

I just finished my first glass of MoviPrep. It's awful, but I keep trying to remind myself that it could be worse. I think drinking a gallon of anything would be really bad. I think the salty-fake lemony taste is what is making me gag. Wish I didn't have to do the second round in the morning. My stomach has a hard time anyway in the morning.

Tipatina

MoviPrep

Postby Tipatina » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:15 am

I was annoyed that I was prescribed MoviPrep - so much more expensive and so much more to get down than Fleet Phospho. HOWEVER, it was worth it. Not terrible to drink if you have it chilled and 'on the rocks' and drink through a big straw (lifted from MacDonald's). I had absolutely no cramping or urgency. Just went! I'd been pretty severe about the liquid diet, though I did have 2 scrambled eggs whites (no fat) for breakfast whiich wasn't allowed but was very comforting and caused no problem. I really, really drank as much as I could all day and while taking the stuff. Probably could have stopped after the first round, but thought I had to keep it up til there were absolutely no little tiny flecks. Did the whole thing and wondered why I was now producing yellow liquid. Found out that was bile. I was realllly clean. The doc was thrilled. Check with your nurse before hand for a good definition of what the liquid your producing should look like when you can stop. If it's good after one liter of MoviPrep, this is a piece of cake, as it were. In short, it ain't that bad. Just remember, DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY! There are zillions of people going through the same thing and it's only one day, hopefully not all that often.

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:32 pm

My doctor just prescribed visicol for my May colonoscopy. You take 20 pills when all is said and done. The 4 Ducolax.

Is this the same as the other pills you were talking about?

Thanks,
Cats
DX Rectal Cancer July 2005, age 32
Chemorads, FOLFOX, Xeldoa
5 Surgeries and 100+ nights in hospital
due to continuing blockages.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:44 pm

No urgency? I pooped the bed twice. That didn't happen with the first two preps I did, except once when my daughter was deliberately trying to make me laugh. The first two preps were before surgery. I know I don't have as much "pucker" as I did before. I'm not sure why because there wasn't any work done on the sphincter. Anyway, that may be the reason. I slept on several layers of towels on prep night. I don't know if I'd call it urgency or just leakage. I hardly felt much urge at all. It just came out.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

djmccluskey

Postby djmccluskey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:33 pm

"The Black Hole" might be a good one to watch. :lol:
2010 Colondar Model - July
Stage 2 Rectal Cancer
Diagnosed 2/15/07
23 nodes, none positive
http://www.davidsfight.org

Guest333

MoviPrep

Postby Guest333 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Magnolia wrote:No urgency? I pooped the bed twice. That didn't happen with the first two preps I did, except once when my daughter was deliberately trying to make me laugh. The first two preps were before surgery. I know I don't have as much "pucker" as I did before. I'm not sure why because there wasn't any work done on the sphincter. Anyway, that may be the reason. I slept on several layers of towels on prep night. I don't know if I'd call it urgency or just leakage. I hardly felt much urge at all. It just came out.

Had a colonoscopy this morning, which went went okay. Had the opposite problem with the prep, though. MoviPrep -- drank the first batch last night at 5pm as instructed. Waited. Waited. Nothing. Took the second batch at 9, as instructed. Nothing again. Finally, at 10:30, results. (Maybe NOW I'll be believed about my constipation. Hah!) I have to admit I was a little concerned until things began moving along.

Also, I got the stuff down using a straw, which was suggested here. Worked rather well. Turn it into a game. Ten to 12 pulls on the straw got each 8-oz dose down. If you can do three pulls, you can do six, and if you can get to six, ten is not that far away.

After last night's prep, today was a breeze. But we knew that. Stay in as good a mood as you can without morning coffee and you got it made.

My big complaint is the cost of MoviPrep. It's highway robbery. $40 for less than 10 dollars worth of PEG 3350 and some other ingredients that show up in Gatorade and Twinkies. For shame to overcharge like that. And it's typically a 2nd or third tier on most drug plans, so the patient takes the hit. Thanks to the drug maker for yet another reason to want to blow off the test.

Guest3850

MoviPrep

Postby Guest3850 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Magnolia wrote:No urgency? I pooped the bed twice. That didn't happen with the first two preps I did, except once when my daughter was deliberately trying to make me laugh. The first two preps were before surgery. I know I don't have as much "pucker" as I did before. I'm not sure why because there wasn't any work done on the sphincter. Anyway, that may be the reason. I slept on several layers of towels on prep night. I don't know if I'd call it urgency or just leakage. I hardly felt much urge at all. It just came out.

Had a colonoscopy this morning, which went went okay. Had the opposite problem with the prep, though. MoviPrep -- drank the first batch last night at 5pm as instructed. Waited. Waited. Nothing. Took the second batch at 9, as instructed. Nothing again. Finally, at 10:30, results. (Maybe NOW I'll be believed about my constipation. Hah!) I have to admit I was a little concerned until things began moving along.

Also, I got the stuff down using a straw, which was suggested here. Worked rather well. Turn it into a game. Ten to 12 pulls on the straw got each 8-oz dose down. If you can do three pulls, you can do six, and if you can get to six, ten is not that far away.

After last night's prep, today was a breeze. But we knew that. Stay in as good a mood as you can without morning coffee and you got it made.

My big complaint is the cost of MoviPrep. It's highway robbery. $40 for less than 10 dollars worth of PEG 3350 and some other ingredients that show up in Gatorade and Twinkies. For shame to overcharge like that. And it's typically a 2nd or third tier on most drug plans, so the patient takes the hit. Thanks to the drug maker for yet another reason to want to blow off the test.

Tipatina

MoviPrep

Postby Tipatina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:06 pm

In addition to drinking the MoviPrep really cold (chilled plus over ice), through a large straw really fast, I thought (too late for me) that a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime might help. Couldn't hurt. It's all individual taste, but I didn't find it bad at all. Just the price!!!

sun-sparkled waves

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Wow, that Moviprep is really expensive. I got my two 45ml bottles of Fleet Phospho Soda for 11$. My colonoscopy is tomorrow, so I'm preping today. Mmmm, looking forward to jello for lunch. Drinking raspberry tea and trying to really stay well hydrated, I get so weak and dizzy after the prep.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:10 pm

Have used something here (Canada) called Pico Salax which IMHO is not that bad. compared notes with Bro-in-law who had CRC 3 yr ago and lots of prep with PhosFlo type preps......Pico Salax wins big time !! cost about $25 here.

cheers
CRguy

sun-sparkled waves

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 pm

I'm happy to say the colonoscopy went well, and not a single polyp was found. I've been having this done every 1 to 2 years for the last 12 years, and usually there are polyps. Now I should be able to sleep better, I hope.

I was OK, this time with the Fleet Phospho prep. I made sure I was well hydrated well before drinking the stuff, and following sips with an apple juice chaser got ride of the foul taste quickly.

Stage 2 CC 1994
Almost through the wall (a few cells away)
28 nodes removed, all neg
6 months 5FU and Levamasole
HNPCC

skelly73

colonoscopy

Postby skelly73 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:25 pm

I am 53 and having my first colonoscopy next week and am a little scared. I think I am mostly scared about the preparation than the procedure. The doctor prescriped MoviPrep. I need some suggestions to help me drink this stuff and what precautions I need to take such as creams to help my bottom through this. I appreciate any helpful advice. I almost chickened out and canceled but know this is important.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 pm

Don't cancel it! Definately use some A&D or Vaseline on your Butt to keep it from getting sore. It'll be OK. Even the prep is not as bad as it's hyped up to be. Just a bad case of the squirts. Most of us complain about the taste of the solutions, but we're grown-ups. We can deal with it. For most of us it saved our lives. It did mine. I was 51 years old and had Stage III cancer with no symptoms. If I hadn't had my scope, I wouldn't have known until much later, and it might have been too late. But keep in mind, the vast majority of screening colonoscopies are perfectly normal. Yours will be too. Let us know how it goes. We love good news.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

fccain

Postby fccain » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:50 pm

I am having my first colonoscopy next week and I'm really nervous. Not one person has mentioned hemorrhoids or effects on them post colonoscopy. My doctor says I just have to deal with it (not much compassion for my poor booty!) I keep thinking I'm gonna regret this cause it takes so long to get over a flare up, if you've had them you know what I mean.

I do know one person who couldn't stop "going" for a few days after because the MoviPrep was too strong (but he doesn't have hemorrhoids, so no advice on that front).

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”