chemo and colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kristinkatelynn

chemo and colon cancer

Postby kristinkatelynn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:11 pm

Is it typical to have to have chemo after being diagnosed with colon cancer even if you have surgery to remove the portion where the doctors believe the cancer is?

ASTEPHENS33

Chemo Regime

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:32 pm

As I understand it. Cancer is staged depending on what was found. Stage I - cancer not spread anywhere and has not grown beyond the inner layer of the colon or recturm; Stage II - has grown behond, but has not spread; Stage III - cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes, but not distant sites; and Stage IV-spread to distant sites. For Stage III and IV, chemo is recommended. For Stage II, its still in discussion.

kristinkatelynn

Postby kristinkatelynn » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:19 am

my sister was told by her surgeon today that it is stage 2. He feels that her condition is called lynch syndrom, which is genetic. He wants her to go for genetic testing at moffit cancer center and begin chemo. This news was devastating to her. She is only 27, and a single mom. She has beautiful long curly blond hair. I know it sounds vein and small in the scheme of things, but for her emotionally I think it is going to be devasting. She is sleeping sound in the hospital tonight after having her acending, transverse colon, lymph nodes, and appendix taken out yesterday. I asked the nurse to load her up so she can get some rest. Can anyone going through this prepare our family with emotional support reccomendations for her?....I worry about how she will handle these treatments as such a young beautiful woman.
Thank you, and god bless all of you going through this......
From,
A loving and concerned sister

Patty

stage 2 colon cancer

Postby Patty » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:36 am

Speak to yuor sisters oncologist, she may not lose her hair. I had stg3 colon cancer and before and after surgery had chemo. I did not lose my hair, it depends on the treatment they use. Please encourage your sister to do as much as possible.Work when she feels up to it as it helps the spirit.And most of all just listen to her. Good Luck ,GOD Bless you both. :D

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:38 pm

patty. what chemo treatment did you have?
i have stage 3, and just had my second round of chemo. they say it's not common to lose your hair with this, but i am still concerned.
(and to the original poster, i'm only 25. whats worse...i look like i'm 18. all the nurses and aids keep saying "you're just so pretty" which wierds me out...like are they standing there staring at me when i'm sleeping?!?)

susanz

chemo and colon cancer

Postby susanz » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:35 pm

my daughter was diagnosed exactly one year ago today with stage 3 rectal cancer at the age of 22. she had chemo before surgery which caused her fairly long curly hair to thin out but not fall out completely. now, after surgery and radiation, she's finishing up her last 4 of 8 treatments. this time, her hair hasn't been affected at all! go figure. this site has offered me hope and inspiration during my family's darkest time. i thank you all for sharing yourselves, your information and advice......susan

Christine

Postby Christine » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:59 pm

I'm 28 and on chemo treatments for stage IV (Folfox with Avastin). My hair has slowly thinned - I've been in treatments for four months - but it has only been really noticeable to me. I did just get it cut a little bit shorter (shoulder-length) so that I could get more volume out of it.

As for support, I think the best thing that anyone can do is just to be there. Listen when she wants to talk about it, but understand when she doesn't. Help with the normal, everyday things like grocery shopping, running errands, cleaning will be appreciated. I would also say to encourage, but not pressure, her to reach out to other cancer survivors whether that be searching out a local support group or checking out message boards like this one. It is really comforting to know that you're not the only one who has to deal with this.

audsam

chemo

Postby audsam » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:58 am

Hi, This is the first time at this site and read your message. First I want to say your sister will get through this. I was diagnosed with stage colon cancer also lynch. It is important for your sister to get gene tested, her child has a 50% chance of getting this as well. I have been cancer free for 2 years, I had surgery and chemo, she should definately go for chemo. Yes its is very scary, and hard and she will need all the help she can get. She is alive and lucky enough to have caught it early. I did not lose all my hair, but it did thin, I did lose alot of it, but I still had a full head of hair, and it grows back. As for yourself if you have not already been told so it is heritary you should get checked as well. When I was diagnosed no one in my family had cancer, so I was the first one to get it.
Hang in there, she and her family will get through.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”