tubular adenoma

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
artucee

tubular adenoma

Postby artucee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Got the call from my GP today and the test came back on the polyps I had removed on the 7th. They are saying that they are tubular adenomas with high grade dysplasia. I'm very new to this so if you can give me any info and what my next step should be I would greatly appreciate it. The Dr. talked about doing colonoscopies every 3 month to monitor but then said doing so often there is more chance of perforating the bowel. He also talked about having me talk to a surgeon about taking a section of the bowel out. The nodular, sessile polyps were located 95 cm from entry site. It just seems kind of radical for polyps that are not cancer, just precancerious. Any help? thanks

weisssoccermom

Re: tubular adenoma

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:02 pm

I would get a second opinion. Yes, it may seem radical to take out a section of your colon for precancerous polyp but, IMO, so does having a colonoscopy every 3 months. Is the GI doc suggesting this timeline or the GP?? Honestly, I'm not sure, based on the little bit of information you have here, that a surgeon would actually do the surgery. If he would consider doing the surgery, I would specifically ask WHY. What would make the surgeon believe that having these polyps necessitates having surgery?? I would also talk to the surgeon and NOT the GP about what his/her followup schedule would be for colonoscopies. Personally, I love my GP and trust her implicitly, but....she wouldn't make the recommendations for me about something like followup scopes. She would trust either the GI or the surgeon to do that.

I would also suggest that you see a board certified colorectal surgeon for this opinion and not just a general surgeon. Here's a link to verify whichever surgeon you see has this certification.

http://www.abcrs.org/cgi-bin/search.pl

Usually, for precancerous polyps, unless there are some extenuating circumstances (such as perhaps a strong family history or a history of aggressive types of cancerous tumors, etc.) the followup schedule is more along the lines of every 1-2 years.

Another piece of very important and useful information that I didn't see posted - how many polyps were removed??
Again, talk to the GI doc or a colorectal surgeon and get more than one opinion.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

artucee

Postby artucee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:16 pm

OK, FINALLY got the path report--tubular adenomas(three) with focal high grade dysplasia---with this comment--Dysplasia areas are present in at least two tissue fragments. It is not possible to tell whether the dysplasia is present in only one polyp or in more than one.3 polyps sessile 5-10 mm found just proximal to cecum, removed with cold forceps and snare. later it states ascending colon at 95CM consists of multiple tan soft tissue fragments ranging from 0.1 cm to 0.5 cm in greatest dimension. My father's dad had colon cancer later in life-over 75. Now I need to know what questions I need to ask the surgeon tomorrow at my appointment. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks, Patti

artucee

Postby artucee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:30 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:I would get a second opinion. Yes, it may seem radical to take out a section of your colon for precancerous polyp but, IMO, so does having a colonoscopy every 3 months. Is the GI doc suggesting this timeline or the GP?? Honestly, I'm not sure, based on the little bit of information you have here, that a surgeon would actually do the surgery. If he would consider doing the surgery, I would specifically ask WHY. What would make the surgeon believe that having these polyps necessitates having surgery?? I would also talk to the surgeon and NOT the GP about what his/her followup schedule would be for colonoscopies. Personally, I love my GP and trust her implicitly, but....she wouldn't make the recommendations for me about something like followup scopes. She would trust either the GI or the surgeon to do that.

I would also suggest that you see a board certified colorectal surgeon for this opinion and not just a general surgeon. Here's a link to verify whichever surgeon you see has this certification.

http://www.abcrs.org/cgi-bin/search.pl

Usually, for precancerous polyps, unless there are some extenuating circumstances (such as perhaps a strong family history or a history of aggressive types of cancerous tumors, etc.) the followup schedule is more along the lines of every 1-2 years.

Another piece of very important and useful information that I didn't see posted - how many polyps were removed??
Again, talk to the GI doc or a colorectal surgeon and get more than one opinion.

Jaynee
not sure if my post on the update went on here but will try this also, Path report finally arrived comment on it states Dysplasia areas are present in at least two tissue fragments. It is not possible to tell whether the dysplasia is present in only one polyp or in more than one. 3 polyps sessile 5-10 mm found just proximal to cecum removed with cold forceps and snare. under gross description: Labeled "ascending colon at 95 cm" consists of multiple tan soft tissue fragments ranging from 0.1 cm to 0.5 cm in greatest dimension. I guess what I need is some ideas of what I should ask the surgeon tomorrow at the appointment so that I am informed as much as possible whether surgery is warranted. or just a sooned repeat colonoscopy. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Go see a board certified colorectal surgeon and have that small chunk of bowel removed. Maybe have a CT scan while you're at it.

My polyp biopsy path results were the EXACT SAME as yours, and , as you can see, I was STAGE IV at diagnosis.

Just get it out of there, you won't miss it.

Peace of mind is priceless. My two cents
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”