Scar tissue formation after rectal or colon resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bob_Weiss

Scar tissue formation after rectal or colon resection

Postby Bob_Weiss » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 am

During a routine colonoscopy, my gastroenterologist noticed scar tissue that has developed at the juncture where my rectum was resected. I assume that it is routine for some scar tissue to form after surgery. However, he indicated that it would be worthwhile to have this tissue burned away. He did not explain why, except to indicate that this has nothing to do with cancer. Since this scar tissue isn't bothering me as far as I can tell, I'm inclined to pass. I'm trying to reduce my doctor visits, not increase them.

Have others had any treatments to remove scar tissue?
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Re: Scar tissue formation after rectal or colon resection

Postby Ivona » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Well it depends on whether or not this scar tissue is hampering your bowels/rectum in any way. Do you have pain? Any issues passing stools? Able to have a colonscopy?

I've had what my doc calls a 'stricture' at the anastomis site. This caused me a lot of pain and my GI doc was unable to pass a scope past it. He did some mild 'stretching' of the area, and eventually I was able to have a successful colonscopy, albeit with a pediatric scope.

So these are some of the questions you need to ask yourself and/or to your doc to help you decide whether or not to pursue any further medical interventions.
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Postby Nickmark59 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:53 am

I had a small absese where is was rejoined which surgeon had to go in and clean and cut away at several times including the stretching of my bowel had 8 different procedures the great people at pre op knew me by name . and it has since healed nicely. apparently the bowel was very soft in this region and just took time to heal.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

bonepicker1

Postby bonepicker1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 am

Sigmoidofiberscopic incision plus balloon dilatation for anastomotic cicatricial stricture after anterior resection of the rectum.
Hagiwara A, Sakakura C, Shirasu M, Torii T, Hirata Y, Yamagishi H.

First Department of Surgery, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine. Kawaramachi-Hirokoji, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto 602, Japan.
Abstract
We describe the procedure and examine the therapeutic efficacy of a combination of sigmoidofiberscopic incision plus balloon dilatation for tubular stricture by thick, long scar tissue at the colorectal anastomosis after anterior resection for rectal cancer. Balloon dilatation alone does not always relieve the strictures, although this method is the usual therapy for this condition. Five patients were identified in whom the stricture was not improved with balloon dilatation alone. Of these five patients, three complained of difficulty defecating, a feeling of incomplete evacuation, residual feces, and lower abdominal fullness. The remaining two patients, who had transverse colostomy to treat major leakage at the anastomosis, showed no symptoms. All five patients underwent the combination therapy described below. Two or three small radial incisions were made in the scar of the stricture with electrocautery under fiberscopic vision. Then the strictural scar was split and loosened bluntly along the incisions over a 15- to 20-minute period with a balloon dilator. This procedure was performed once or twice at a 2-week interval. In all five patients the stricture was improved according to objective criteria. There was also an improvement in the subjective symptoms suffered by three patients. The improvements were maintained over observation periods of 9 to 15 months. No complications were observed. Sigmoidofiberscopic incision plus balloon dilatation is an effective, safe therapy for cicatricial strictures after anterior resection for rectal cancer when the strictures have failed to improve following balloon dilatation alone.

KimT

Postby KimT » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:12 am

The question I would ask is if this could be more of a problem later. If it might progress to the point that starts to cause pain and/or affect your bowel functions. In that case, it may be better to take care of it before it becomes a problem. Sometimes a little preventative goes a long way.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Diana1963

Postby Diana1963 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Mother had large cancerous growth removed from colon in 2008. Was suppose to have chemo and radiation after, but after getting second chemo treatment and being in extreme pain, she did not go any further with it. In 2010 a ball was forming in the incision, right under the belly button. She had a CT scan and was told by the family doctor that it was just scar tissue or a hernia and not to worry. In 2011 another CT scan was done due to it being doubled in size and again she was told the same thing. In the summer of 2012 during an ER visit a doctor told us we needed to keep an eye on it because it was questionable. A month later Mom went in to have the 'hernia' taken care of....it was cancer! As of date she is now going to St. Louis to see what they can do. SO...if you have 'scar tissue' or 'hernia' in surgical area, please be seen by an oncologist! If anyone has had the same thing happen to them, please contact me! Thank you!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”