WATER FOR CT PREP

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
michelle c

WATER FOR CT PREP

Postby michelle c » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:45 am

Hi all,

I just booked in my next CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis. The last two times I had to go in at least an hour earlier to drink a large jug of lemon tasting water, didn't taste too bad actually but gave me diarrhea - ugh! This time when I called and made the appointment I was told to commence drinking 1.5 litres of water an hour before my appointment time, and can go to the bathroom as much as I need to. Apparently, I just need to be well hydrated, she said that they've changed the preparation. She did ask me if I'd had abdominal surgery within the last month because if so I'd then need the other prep. I was wondering if they had a new machine or if they have just changed the prep. I could call to find out but I'm just happy to drink the water and to not have to go in early. Best wishes to you all.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

Surroundedbylove

Re: WATER FOR CT PREP

Postby Surroundedbylove » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:42 am

I had a water prep when I had a "liver protocol" CT scan ("triphasic liver scan"). Other than that particular CT scan they still use the regular prep at my hospital. I've heard that they are testing water only though.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 am

Water as a CT prep counts as good news around here. Thanks for sharing, and good luck.
dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:08 pm

I drank my 'barium' prep 1/2 last night and 1/2 prior to my CT scan today. The tech told me I was going to have to drink some water 'with the same stuff in it'. It was clear and didn't taste awful but when I got dressed after the test, I saw a splotchy rash (hives that were not raised type splotches) from under the bra line to where my jeans sit. My face started burning and I had a bad headache. They watched me for 20 minutes after the hives went away and then sent me upstairs to my onc's office. His PA checked me over and had me go home and take 2 Benadryl.

I've never had a reaction before.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

seva

Postby seva » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I had my 6 month chest, abdominal ct this week and the prep was the same as my other 3 preps. For an 8:00 am prep no food or water after midnight drink half the barium "smoothie" at 6:30 am the other half at 7:00 then another cup just prior to the scan. I wonder if and when my hospital will change preps.
RC 10/09
Stage IIA
Chemorad 6 weeks, 5fu 24/7
LAR 2/10
Reversal 4/10
Chemo 5fu 2 rounds -1 week on 3 weeks off
ct scans 9/10 , 3/11,9/11, 9/12 NED!!!

Mitu

Postby Mitu » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:42 pm

For my scan today I had the usual two bottles of Readi-Cat, the white stuff that's pretty easy to drink. First one at 7:05, second at 7:55, scan at 8:40. While going through the intake process, I asked the intake woman (who's worked there a long time and knows what's going on) about whether they ever use water as a CT prep. She said that "a while ago" a few doctors came back from a conference where they learned about water for CT scans, and were excited about trying it on their patients, but it fell out of favor because -- and she wasn't positive this was the reason, but it's close if not exact: they felt the pictures weren't quite as sharp as those using the barium. So the pros and cons of the various preps may be worth investigating further.

Another thing C. said was that she had a teenager come in recently for a scan, and when given the barium drink, the girl pulled a bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup from her purse and added a squirt of it to the barium. When questioned, she said that she'd had prior scans at Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia and they usually added chocolate or strawberry syrup. Mmmm!
Last edited by Mitu on Wed May 28, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8/2007 CC Stage IV, age 48F (6/38 LN, 7+/- liver mets)
8/07 Lap. sigmoid colon resect.
10/07-4/08 FOLFOX & Avastin x 10, DVT
2012 2 abd. lymph nodes: IMRT, chemo
2014 adrenal met: cyberknife

"You can't control random" - klryder02

KimT

Postby KimT » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:34 am

They use water in thailand. You drink about half a liter of flavored water just before the ct. In the CT room, they then inject a bit of water up the back door. (The first time the tech literally said to me "madam, I need to inject some water in your ass")

Anywho I find it much better than the barium used in the states. Especially the laxative that is in it. It's like the gift that keeps on giving. The water is much easier. They have a restroom right outside the room. Once you are done, you hit the toilet and you are done. No need to be near a bathroom for the rest of the day. I don't think the images are that different as my doctors in the US have accepted them and looked at them.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Mystic

Postby Mystic » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Last week I had a CT scan of my thorax, abdomen and pelvis at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I had to be there 2 hours early to drink 3 cups, 30 minutes apart, of some Orange flavored stuff. For 2 days after the scan my stomach rolled and I had bouts of diarrhea so I had to stay close to a bathroom. I would love a water prep instead. After they were done with the scan the technician noticed my nose was stuffy. She asked if it was stuffy when I came in. I told her no and about that time my forehead started getting itchy and she told me I had hives. They called in a doctor to check me out and I had developed hives behind my ears. They kept me an hour for observation and had me drink a lot of water to flush my system and advised me to take Benadryl when I got home. The nurse told me that the effects of the Iodine IV in your system is accumulative and the allergic reaction will get worse each time. The next time I have a CT scan I will be pre-medicated with Benadryl and a Steroid. BTW the scans were clear!!!

Lynch Syndrome II (MSH2) / Muir-Torre Syndrome
Malignant Polyp Cecum-Right Hemi-Colectomy June 2008
Rare Sebaceous Carcinoma of the nose from Lynch Syndrome 1/2011
Daughter 27 stage 2 colon cancer 2006 Right Hemi-Colectomy

Alec

Postby Alec » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 am

I have had 5 C T scans over here in the UK over the past 12 months, Liver and pelvis. Sometimes they have me drink a litre of orange and water prep, and sometimes just 500 mil of water. Seems dependant on which hospital I go to. They all use an intravenous iodine dye while they scan, only lasts a few seconds, with seemingly only a few minor side afects. They pump this through you via a canular in the arm. After the scan, you have to stay back for about 15 mins to make sure you're OK.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi all:

I'm having my 3 month PET/CT on Wednesday. Kind of anxious about this one because my CEA has been up a bit since the one in December. I SO wish I could just drink water for the prep because, like many others, I get awful cramping and diarrhea after the scan. Last time I took a Lomotil BEFORE the scan and it helped. Wednesday I'll take xanax and lomotil, which worked pretty well last time. I am imagining that my unbelievable fatigue is a return of a liver met, and am just so hoping it's still a chemo effect. Thanks, Terry, for reminding me of how long it can take to really wear off.

I hope we change to just water preps everywhere soon :D

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”