Chemo done/Port out/back to work (TAE for T3 follow up)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dschreffler

Chemo done/Port out/back to work (TAE for T3 follow up)

Postby dschreffler » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:13 am

Hi all,

I had my last round of chemo in mid January, returned to work the beginning of March, and had my port removed yesterday.

Only lasting side effect is still some chemo brain forgetfulness and a little fatigue -- it can't be my age ;-) . Nothing exercise and diet will not be able to overcome.

To keep continuity for those whom are considering TAE, here is link to prior threads: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13877

As always, I appreciate all the support I received on this forum, If anyone has any question, feel free to PM me at anytime. I've not been on the board in a while and really will only check in to give updates at best quarterly.

Cancer is behind me for now, will have reminders as I have my routine checkups. The experience has given more then it has taken. It has not defined whom I am, but did show and strengthen my character. I wish not to be known only as a "cancer survivor", as there is so much more I do and will do.

I wish you all the best.

Dan
DX:T3,Nx,M0 2/5/2010 RC 3cm@analverge CEA7.3
Neoadjuntive 2/24-4/5: 28 rad/Xeloda(M-F),5 rnds Oxaliplatin IV weekly
6/15/2010-TAE surgery 10 weeks aft neoadjunctive.
Path clean, CEA1.3
post surgery 12 rnds FOLFOX
NED 1/26/11

RixInPhx

Re: Chemo done/Port out/back to work (TAE for T3 follow up)

Postby RixInPhx » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

That's so great, Dan, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

northern light 2011

Postby northern light 2011 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 am

Dan,

Great news that you are finally over the final traetment hurdle.

I have read your story with great interest particularly the decision about which type of surgery to have. I similarly have a rectal tumour which has responded very well to the chemo / radiation. I am due to undergo an LAR in 2 weeks time. I may be incorrect here but I believe the T staging refers to the depth the tumour has penetrated through the rectal / colon wall? If so, The one thing I have not been able to establish whilst reading your posts is whether you were initially diagnosed as a Stage 1, 2 or 3. i.e. did the scans show any involvement or suspected involvement with the lymph nodes?

I am stage 3 so it appears the LAR is my best option but am trying to garner as much info as i can before I commit.

Thanks
Northern Light

dschreffler

Postby dschreffler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:41 pm

northern light 2011 wrote: I may be incorrect here but I believe the T staging refers to the depth the tumour has penetrated through the rectal / colon wall? If so, The one thing I have not been able to establish whilst reading your posts is whether you were initially diagnosed as a Stage 1, 2 or 3. i.e. did the scans show any involvement or suspected involvement with the lymph nodes?
Thanks
Northern Light

Greetings, I'm wishing you well in your treatment.

I was diagnosed as T3, Nx, M0 - tumor depth into the rectal wall is the T3 part, no nodes were examined so Nx, and no signs of metastasis in other organs, so M0. Since I was going to get post surgery chemo for a full 12 FOLFOX cycles, the node check was not relevant. I got the same post surgery chemo treatment as someone who had positive nodes.

Neoadjunctive (presurgery) chemo/rad with great response (no signs of tumor), TAE surgery - minimal surgery needed to remove affected area and to do biopsy, then followed by full cycles of FOLFOX. Less evasive surgery, with full post surgery chemo.

Hope this helps and by all means ask questions if I was not clear. This worked for me in my situation and other's mileage will vary.

The best to you!

Dan
Path clean, CEA1.3
NED 1/26/11

shutzele

Postby shutzele » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:36 am

WOW! As i just join this community, i gotta tell ya, this is exactly what i need to hear.

Congrats to you.

Michelle
Michelle 42, stage IV Colon, met to liver
Dianosed 8/2010 T3N1M1
Colectomy 8/2010
17 cycles of FOLFOX w/Avastin in 2011
Folfiri in 2012
Started Erbitux w/Campizar 10/12
Tumor sits on vena cava in liver
http://michelleisamiracle.tumblr.com

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Dan, barring anything else, you should feel pretty good in about six months, maybe even less. I had a TAE March of 08' and had a little problem with control, but it's much better now. It's the energy that's the hardest to get back and it did take six months give or take a couple of weeks.

Enjoy your life:)
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

dschreffler

Postby dschreffler » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 am

Terry wrote:Dan, barring anything else, you should feel pretty good in about six months, maybe even less. I had a TAE March of 08' and had a little problem with control, but it's much better now. It's the energy that's the hardest to get back and it did take six months give or take a couple of weeks.

Enjoy your life:)

Thanks Terry - I'm actually feeling pretty good now and think it was more the effects of chemo (chemo brain) then the surgery TAE I had in July. Certain juices and foods seem to produce more need for visits to bathroom during the day, and if I ignore the urge to go for too long, I have had near minor accidents. Has been little impact on my lifestyle, and in fact been doing some hiking the past few weeks, and had been building living space in my basement just prior to the port removal. I wonder how much is in the mind since I notice I need to go more at home when I'm not really doing much, but not when I'm focused on a project or other activity.

Still a little tired as I'm back to work full time - but think that a result of getting used to getting up at 6:30 again and not napping in the day plus slacking off on an excercise routine in the past couple months.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well.
Path clean, CEA1.3
NED 1/26/11

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Dan,
Glad to hear that things are going well. You still are in the 'early' stages and should probably see some improvement. If not, as you say, it hasn't impacted your life much which is good.

Just make sure to keep getting your follow ups - don't let up on those!

BTW - Just had a call from another member's hubby - she came through her excision very well. Will be anxious to hear from her when she gets home from the hospital.

Keep in touch. Now go back to living your life. Things will get easier each day - and as I say that, the whole 'anxiety' stuff starts rearing it's ugly head in me - my yearly/6 month tests are once again upon me!

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

dschreffler

Postby dschreffler » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks Jaynee for all your support and guidance. I have my quarterly scoping next week and other tests lined up for the year. Surveillance is good and I actually look forward to seeing the staff at the Onc's and surgeon's offices. I'm debating the need to see the Rad/Oncologist in August as I get the endoscope every 3 months. I figure the surgeon and Oncologist has me covered.

It was odd from seeing these folk every week for a year to now not seeing them for months. I did stop in their offices just to drop off food on St Patty's day.

All the best to you!
Path clean, CEA1.3
NED 1/26/11

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 pm

Dan,
I don't understand why your rad onc needs to see you. Personally, that seems quite unnecessary and, were I in your shoes, I wouldn't go to anymore of those appts. What does he/she do that your surgeon (who I presume is the one scoping you) doesn't???? Certainly, it is your call, but I seriously doubt that the rad onc, at this point, one year+ out from your radiation treatments (and in August 18 months out) will do anything more or has anything more to offer than what your surgeon does. Have you asked your surgeon whether he/she feels this 'extra' appt to be truly necessary?? I can only give you my experience, but after I was done with radiation, I never went back to the rad onc.

As you said, you sound like, between the surgeon and the onc, you have all the bases covered. Again, only my opinion, but unless you are having issues directly related to the radiation itself, I would just cancel any future rad onc appts and stick with the onc (blood work) and surgeon (scoping).

Don't mean to come off like a b**ch & I apologize if I have offended you. Glad to hear that all of your tests have been scheduled for the rest of the year & glad to hear that you're doing so well.

Jaynee
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
NED now and forever!

dschreffler

Postby dschreffler » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:50 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:Dan,
I don't understand why your rad onc needs to see you. Personally, that seems quite unnecessary and, were I in your shoes, I wouldn't go to anymore of those appts. What does he/she do that your surgeon (who I presume is the one scoping you) doesn't???? Certainly, it is your call, but I seriously doubt that the rad onc, at this point, one year+ out from your radiation treatments (and in August 18 months out) will do anything more or has anything more to offer than what your surgeon does. Have you asked your surgeon whether he/she feels this 'extra' appt to be truly necessary?? I can only give you my experience, but after I was done with radiation, I never went back to the rad onc.

As you said, you sound like, between the surgeon and the onc, you have all the bases covered. Again, only my opinion, but unless you are having issues directly related to the radiation itself, I would just cancel any future rad onc appts and stick with the onc (blood work) and surgeon (scoping).

Don't mean to come off like a b**ch & I apologize if I have offended you. Glad to hear that all of your tests have been scheduled for the rest of the year & glad to hear that you're doing so well.

he he he - no you are not coming across bad or offending. I thought it was odd to have this guy stick his finger up the ol'butt every 6 months when I'm having high tech cameras doing the same thing usually 3 weeks before hand. I'll quiz my surgeon and Onc to double check, but think I can safely drop this probing.
Path clean, CEA1.3
NED 1/26/11

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Ah ha! One of those type of rad oncs - you're right - what can his 'digit' tell him that a camera can't????
I often wonder what's up with rad oncs?? They seem to be peculiar odd ducks!!

One less doc appt is always a good thing - IMHO!
It's hard to try and feel 'normal' when you've got so many docs probing and prodding, isn't it??
Jaynee
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
NED now and forever!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”