Oprah show today

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Worrying about what Brittney Spears is doing? Not really. Worrying about child welfare? Yup. It's another problem that need fixing. I don't obsess on that one family, but the issue is as real as ours is. I can't fix the whole world, but I don't fault anyone who chooses another cause over mine. We all pick our battles. I DO fault a pop culture that completely IGNORES some diseases and goes completely pink apeshit over others, but that's another thread.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:36 pm

"it's BRITNEY bitch"

(ehehhehee...i couldn't resist)

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:30 pm

Recently I have been seeing and hearing a lot of commercials about lung cancer. Thought that was interesting. It is getting a lot of play, but still no colon cancer.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Interesting thing about lung cancer since it's so easy to blame the victim. There's even more stigma attached to that than to colons, rectums and poop. One of my jobs is in a smoking cessation program, and we're very careful to convey the message that smokers are not bad people. But when they get lung cancer, that's the first question people ask. When non-smokers get lung cancer, they have to repeatedly deny smoking to everyone.

Still lung cancer is something you can connect a direct lifestyle change to. People know and can relate to quitting smoking. Colon cancer and colonoscopy are still freaky unknowns. Gotta get the word out.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:48 pm

I agree that you should get checked at least by age 50 but come on. I need to see someone pissed off. Mad at our government for not taking action. The medical industry should be covering anyone at ANY age if they meet a high risk scenario. I want to see someone mad at the government and forcing them to take action to provide the health care we pay for and eliminate the laws that require the medical industry to make a profit. I want to see our moronic president stop using his veto pen only for squashing the voice of the american people (both dem and rep.),,,by means of our congress...by overriding the childrens medical plan. Not ONCE but TWICE!

I am mad at the way our insurance companies are ran, they have to much power. However, I was diagnosed with stage II rectal cancer this past July at age 47. My brothers (42 and 34) had their doctors write a letter to their insurance companies about me and their insurance companies did let them both have colonoscopies. My younger brother had 4 polyps, 1 precancerous and my youngest brother had his today and had 3 polyps (pathology not in). So that's a good thing that the insurance companies did allow this. But I do know what you mean about the hassles of the insurance companies. I know in the state of WI we have state insurance for the low income and if you can't get insurance you can get it from the state at a reasonable premium. I can't even imagine a state that says a cancer is preexisting because it's genetic. What state is that, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard?

[color=red]Oprah gets on her show and has the wonderful world of OZ spout off nothing but canned responses. Instead of that, how about she take the money she spent on producing that show and donating it to a good cause. Everything that she does is done ONLY if there is something to be gained for her from it. She will even tell you that herself. In fact, she has said that herself.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU HERE. You know what shows like this do, they bring up discussions. How many people do you think watched that show and talked to a friend, relative, workmate about seeing the show. Being a guy you may not realize it but women do talk about those things. I've watched the shows with Dr. Oz, where has he given misinformation? I haven't heard anything but true recommendations from him. I just hope that during colorectal cancer month Oprah and others give it as much attention as breast cancer awareness month, that's how the attention will get to the matter. By the way, there isn't a cure for polio, there is an immunization and there is now an immunization for one type of cancer. Hopefully, with press in the media they'll continue to work on a cure/immunization for colorectal and other cancers

Third: Oprah is about as hypocritical as it comes. She has people on, like Bill Cosby, who are trying to promote improvement in particular communities and language was one of the issues. Eliminating "jive" or "street talk" in the black community was fairly specific to what he was trying to eliminate. Oprah acts as if she is so intellectually motivated and supportive of what Bill is doing, yet she turns around and throws out more jive talk than anyone I have every heard. [/color]

I watched that Oprah show and I think the big thing they are trying to do is to get black to quit calling each other the "N" word. Also, using the "F" word if I remember correctly. [/color]

The above example about there sometimes being pain and consciousness during colonoscopies stands out. People deserve to be told the truth. [/color]

[color=red]
I was awake during my colonoscopy and the only thing that hurt was when they put in the gas and go around the first curve and that was minimal. You said that we should tell people the truth, let me ask you this would you go for a colonoscopy if someone told you, you'll be awake with your but exposed and it's going to hurt? No, I don't think so. The truth is you will probably be asleep although about 10% are awake but they will give you drugs so you shouldn't feel much more than bad gas pains. We don't want to scare people away.[/color]

Anyway, this is really a good discussion but we should be taking it to someone that can make a difference. As soccermom said earlier maybe Sharon Osbourn will make the rounds during coloncancer month. Also, Farah Faucet would be another one to bring awareness.

By the way, I giggle at the word poop, rectum, anus, etc. I think it's human nature try and not let it upset you :lol:
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Terry

Postby Terry » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:01 pm

I tried four times to get the colors right on the previous post, I GIVE UP! :shock:
DX 7/3/07
Folfox 3/12

vman1300

Postby vman1300 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:09 pm

Terry wrote:cynnycal,

I LOVE your blog :lol:

Got quite a few chuckles from me as well....

http://vman-1300.blogspot.com/

Stage IV DX 8-13
bowel resection 8-20-07
Liver and lung mets
12 cycles Folfox w/avastin
9 cycles Folfuri w/avastin
Bowel blockage surgery 10-24-08

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:33 pm

Terry, go to the Cover Your Butt site and click on "Is your Butt covered?" then find the Legislative Report Card and click on Wisconsin. Didn't score too well. Your brothers were lucky. Their insurance companies covered them, but it's not required.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

Terry

Postby Terry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:47 am

Oh yeah, an "F" WI didn't do well at all. I sent the letter to my senators, hopefully they will help.
DX 7/3/07
Folfox 3/12

Jeremiah

Postby Jeremiah » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:51 am

""What state is that, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard?""

I may have had a typo.... MEDICAL COMPANIES had declined folks for coverage and labeled the issue as a pre-existing condition (based on genetics). Most STATES now have laws that keep medical industries from doing this.
Jeremiah Moore
Stg 4 Colon Cancer: Diag. Apr 18, 06 at Age 32
Personal Website
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistant one." -Albert Einstein

Jeremiah

Postby Jeremiah » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:55 am

""Being a guy you may not realize it but women do talk about those things""

Thanks for the rediculous comment you female chauvinist pig.

""By the way, there isn't a cure for polio, there is an immunization ""

I think people catch my drift.

""I was awake during my colonoscopy and the only thing that hurt was when they put in the gas and go around the first curve and that was minimal. You said that we should tell people the truth, let me ask you this would you go for a colonoscopy if someone told you, you'll be awake with your but exposed and it's going to hurt? No, I don't think so.""

OF COURSE I WOULD!! Stop speaking for me. So your theory is to lie to everyone? If someone told me that I needed to get a scope done to save my life but it may hurt a little I am still heading right into the office to get it done.

You are losing track of the point of this entire conversation.

Let's be honest with people....people.

PS: The word poop does not bother me, I was using that as an example to describe how I feel that Oprah does not take the proper approach at "spreading the word".
Jeremiah Moore
Stg 4 Colon Cancer: Diag. Apr 18, 06 at Age 32
Personal Website
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistant one." -Albert Einstein

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:09 am

First of all, thank you Terry. We talked on the phone this afternoon about the post and I thank her for speaking up on some of the same issues that I didn't want to bring up for fear of being shot down again.

When I started this post, it was just to inform people that there was a small segment on the Oprah show about colorectal cancer. Nothing more. Somehow this whole thread has taken on so many different meanings and honestly, I think that we have gotten way off track.

Frankly, I don't give a darn about whether people like Oprah or not. The simple fact is, her show, along with Dr. Oz brought this topic into millions of homes that day. It doesn't matter to me HOW people became aware of colorectal cancer, just that they did. It's unrealistic to think that this small segment hasn't made a difference. Maybe it would have been more effective is a colorectal cancer survivor was on the show to tell people what we go through with treatments, quality of life, etc. It's NOT our show, it's Oprah's and she has the right to do with it what she wants. Instead of bitching about what Oprah did or didn't do, or whether she tittered when she said the word poop, or anything else about her lifestyle, we should be concentrating on how we can take the opportunity that she handed us and run with it!

Our bowels are just not everyday, comfortable topics of conversation. How many of us even 6 months before our diagnosis ever would have imagined that you would be "talking" with complete strangers about your bowel habits (POOP), your rectum, colostomy bags, excessive gas, radiation, whatever. I'd venture a guess not very many of us!

Something happened today in part because of this thread. Another cancer patient who I have been helping is now distancing herself from this site because of some of the very angry and disrputive things that have been posted - particularly on this topic. It bothers me that we should be the very people who are here to help other newly diagnosed patients as well as each other and yet this name calling and angry posts are getting in the way of what we should be doing.

So, can we please just stop with all of this negativity? Can we please just put an end to this whole topic and move on? Nothing positive is going to be accomplished if these discussions keep heading in the direction that they are going. Enough, please.

Terry

Postby Terry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:54 pm

I'm sorry you took my post like it was an attack against you, it wasn't meant that way it was just my opinion on your posts.

First of all I am not a female chauvinist pig, that's ridiculous to say just because I said men and women discuss different things in conversation. Women, I think are more likely to discuss talk shows amongst themselves than men are. I know my husband (construction worker) would never go to work and say "did you see Oprah yesterday". He'd be laughed off the job.

What you said about "I think they catch my drift" regarding the immunization for polio you took my point wrong. My point was (and you didn't repost the whole post) was that they now have an immunization for one type of cancer so the work is being done.

You said "STOP SPEAKING FOR ME". I never spoke for you, if you reread my post, I asked you a question. What I was saying is I wouldn't tell people that it was painful because I don't think it was or minimal at that and I was awake. Now, I'm sure in a few cases it probably is due to some people having more curvy instestines and so it's hard to get the scop through.

I'm sorry your so angry and I understand why, believe me I do. I'm not a stage IV and I would most likely have some issues with that as well. Even being a stage II it's always possible mine could also come back with mets so I know why you want the work for a cure to happen faster but unfortunely, nothing in life works fast. I PRAY that you are here long enough that they can find a cure or least keep it from coming back for many many years for you.
DX 7/3/07
Folfox 3/12

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

The Politics of Insurance and Colon Cancer

Postby Edward » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:51 pm

It looks like a post about Oprah took a few turns, but keep in mind the big picture. I currently work with a group of fellow grass rooters trying to get screening legislation passed in PA. It very interesting working with legislators from both side of the aisle. The work is rewarding, but can be frustrating.

Politicians need to be reminded that the citizens (us) are their biggest customer. Insurance companies need to be reminded that their job is to spread the risk and not give us such great healthcare innovations as the co-pay, preexisting condition, and the deductible. Hopefully, we can get someone of high profile with the distribution network to make our case. For now, I keep chipping away.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Edward, are you familiar with Cover Your Butt?
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”