Has anyone had a colonoscopy that couldnt be done?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sally1898

Re: Has anyone had a colonoscopy that couldnt be done?

Postby Sally1898 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 pm

My last colonoscopy, in Sept. 2009, was scheduled for the day before my abdominal hernia repair, so I would only have to 'clean out' once. They put me under to scope, but had to abort it, almost immediately. The hernia was so large, it blocked access. They only got 1/3 of the way in. (Since I have a colostomy, they enter from the front, on my stomach, through the stoma.)The scope instrument IS flexible, but my GI was afraid to force it, for fear of perforation. Had to reshedule the scope for later in the year, which meant repeating the prep. :evil:
Sally
Dx:St. 3 rectal ca. on 1-8-98 at age 31. Perm. colostomy,friends refer to it as 'Pedro'.Favorite sentiment:Poop happens!!!

msidgy

Postby msidgy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 am

Hi I want to thank ALL of you for posting~ This board is a blessing as it is so active with so many willing to give feedback.

I did not mention that I already had the cat scan before the colonoscopy attempt, and will post the results below. Also EKG was slightly abnormal, Lung showed mild lung disease, had a hip x ray that looked OK
blood work was ok, nothing out of whack but dont think they did a CEA test for cancer. They may have but if so it wasn't back yet. I think they do those to see prognosis rather than diagnosis don't they?

When he mentioned taking 12 inches of colon out he said it would not involve the rectum so no bag to wear at this point. Even if I do end up with a bag, as long as I can sew and do artwork I will be happy. Just dont mess with my hands LOL I have read that people can get those due to severe diverticulitis. He said possibly do another colonoscopy after I heal for 3 weeks or so. I will also be glad that he looks inside me so I can know more about what is going on, on the right side of my pelvis.

Before I did the colonoscopy , the mag citrate and the go-lightly worked quite well so got cleaned out, although now I am taking Mira Lax and it hasn't really done anything yet, but only been a 2-3 days since my clean out ....I can feel something down there and do want to get it taken care of soon.

I so appreciate all your posts and will go back and read them more! For now I will post my cat scan results below. I had that a week or less before my failed colonoscopy. As far as History goes I also had a pre cancerous condition on cervix years before the hysterectemy and they did Cryosurgery. I go to the Dr today at 4pm Mountain Time and will try to post when I get back. I hope you all are having a good day, as good as can be expected and you are all in my thoughts!

CAT SCAN RESULTS:

000393620 CT/Abdomen W IV Contrast 12/23/10 0852 74160
000393621 CT/Pelvis W IV Contrast 12/23/10 0852 72193

Exam: CT abdomen and pelvis with contrast

History: Right lower quadrant/pelvic pain. History of hysterectomy and
appendectomy.

Findings: Images were obtained from the diaphram to the pubic symphysis
following administration of oral, rectal and IV contrast.

The visualized lung bases are clear. The liver is normal in size and
homogeneous in appearance. Spleen size is normal. The gallbladder and pancreas
are unremarkable. The left adrenal is plump but no discreet nodule. The right adrenal
appears normal.

The abdominal aorta is normal in caliber. No urinary tract calculi are evident. There is
no renal mass or hydronephrosis. A small hiatal hernia is noted. A considerable amount of
stool is present throughout the colon. In the lower right pelvis there are localized inflammatory
or infiltrative changes adjacent to the redundant sigmoid colon, extending caudally into the inguinal
canal. The findings are best demonstrated on coronal image 30. No discreet colonic mass
is identified. There are scattered diverticula of the distal descending and sigmoid colon.

The right lateral wall of the urinary bladder appears thickened, presumably due to adjacent
inflamation from the sigmoid colon. No pneumoperitoneum or ascites is present. There are
several subcentimeter lymph nodes in the right pelvis.

Impression: Localized inflammatory or infiltrative changes within the right lower pelvis
adjacent to the redundant sigmoid colon. The findings may be secondary to diverticulitis,
although neoplasm cannot be ruled out. Follow-up colonoscopy is recommended.

Thickening of the right lateral wall of the urinary bladder. This is presumed to be secondary to the
to inflammation of the adjacent sigmoid colon. However, if sigmoid neoplasm is ultimately
demonstrated the infiltration of the bladder would be a diagnostic consideration.

msidgy

Postby msidgy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 pm

msidgy wrote:Hi, I had a colonoscopy and the Dr said he couldnt get through. They also tried a Barium Enema and that wouldnt go through very far either. He wants to do surgery and says I have a 50% chance of it being cancer, the other 50% diverticulitis or both.

Mass on the right lower pelvis, blood from vagina (up high) have had all female parts removed previously, plump right adrenal gland, thickening of right bladder wall,

He got a ways with the colonoscopy and said what he saw looked like diverticulitis but he says he cannot of course see what is on the outside of the colon until surgery.
I have also had thin stools ie change in bowel habits.

I can accept the fact this MAY be cancer .......just curious if anyone else had a failed colonoscopy and failed barium enema or any similar symptoms like I have had? I am 61 years old.
thanks in advance for sharing your story!

I want to thank all of you for your posts and feedback. Will try to answer some of the questions. I did indeed have a CT scan before the attempted colonoscopy. Started to post it again then realised I already had. Since then I have had a morning of other tests such as Nuclear Stress Test, 2 Nuclear Scans of my heart, and a Sonogram of my entire neck. Will see the Dr on Monday for time of surgery which is spose to take place on Thursday. Oh I also saw a Urologist who will be performing Stints of my ureters to make sure they are out of the way and not attached to "scar tissue" Seems the mostly talk about Diverticulitis, though the pamphlet the colon surgeon sent home is about Colon Cancer. The urologist is pretty famous sort of People come from quite some distances to see him. He has treated my mom who is 89 for bladder cancer for 30 years.

Well I will keep you all posted. Best case scenario is Diverticulitis, I guess worst would be stage IV colon cancer. any feedback to share is very much appreciated ie anyone have these results, and or tests and how did it turn out? thanks!!!!!

questioning

Postby questioning » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Yes, I had a colonoscoy last week and they had to stop as said there is a blockage. Tomorrow I go for my Barium Enema and we see what happens.
I'm staying positive as I feel fine. Back in October I had a parital bowel obstruction this is my 4th, last one was about 9 yrs ago, I'm now 46.
The reason suggested I do a colonoscopy was to see why happening, my Mom did have colon cancer at 73. I must say if it is anything more than
a blockage I'll be in shock.

msidgy

Postby msidgy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 am

questioning wrote:Yes, I had a colonoscoy last week and they had to stop as said there is a blockage. Tomorrow I go for my Barium Enema and we see what happens.
I'm staying positive as I feel fine. Back in October I had a parital bowel obstruction this is my 4th, last one was about 9 yrs ago, I'm now 46.
The reason suggested I do a colonoscopy was to see why happening, my Mom did have colon cancer at 73. I must say if it is anything more than
a blockage I'll be in shock.

How did the Barium go? I did post a new thread. My surgery over and no cancer just an extremely bad case of diverticulitis. Good luck and let us know what happened.
I dont know if I should stay on this board or not because I do not have cancer , We just thought very likely I did. Had 18" of colon removed on the 20th. Feeling better every day.
If you have had bowel obstructions before that means it is a good chance that is what it is now! I hope so!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”