Lets have a little fun

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pantherfan

incident a work

Postby pantherfan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:38 am

A week before I was to go back to work I called my boss and requested a meeting to discuss my limitations upon my return. He said why don't we just play it by ear.

Being in the computer business I have several certifications. He commented my certifications should come in handy when I start looking for another job. On my second day back at work my work schedule was a full load with no provisions for what I ahve been through.

ADA here we come - ya think?
Stage II colon cancer. Surgery 1/2/07. Finished chemo September 2007. 19 total treatments
http://mcharping.blogspot.com/

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:56 pm

The sad part is, some of the stupidest people are TRYING to be kind. So much for social skills.

I had one woman tell me shortly after I started chemo, that she knew several people who said they didn't think chemo was worth it. Some of them stopped treatment because it was so bad. Now why would anyone want to tell someone just starting chemo something like that?

I had someone imply that I was at fault for the advanced stage of my disease because I had my scope at 51 instead of 50. Like I needed to hear that!

Then there were the good things. When I told one nurse friend I had colon cancer, she said, "So you fix it." Perfect!

Before I went in for surgery, my sister came to help me clean up my house a bit. She said it should be nice and clean when the hospice people come. I know it sounds awful, but if you knew my sister and her dark, dry sense of humor, you'd get it. It cracked me up at the time.

My mom told one of her friends that I went in for my colonoscopy and "hit the jackpot" . My mom is very much like my sister. Tumor humor is getting us through this. Mom has breast cancer now. She named her now single breast "Lonesome Dove" I call it "uniboob"

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:09 pm

magnolia! that is so funny!
a friend of mine had testicular cancer and he says he's a "uniballer"...you know...like the pen.
;)
and yes, it's all about the tumor humor

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:21 pm

Uniballer! That's priceless!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:29 pm

OK, this isn't a stupid thing someone said, but it's a story my family loves to tell. Near the end of my chemo, which was also near the end of the summer of '06, my hair got thin enough that I decided to buzz it all off and wear a wig. I was coming out of the Safeway one day and a bee flew into my wig. I yanked the wig off and started dancing around the parking lot yelling and flapping the wig around like a total madwoman. Now just imagine what I must have looked like to anyone who didn't know what was going on.

Then there was the time I was coming out of my front door, shut the door on my shoelace, tripped down the porch steps, ended up dangling off the porch by one foot still attached to the front door with the wig sitting happily in the azalea bush.

Monique

Postby Monique » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:36 am

Magnolia,

Oh, that made me laugh. Your family sounds much like mine. For years now my boyfriend and I have this "thing", where we steal each other's pens (only the really nice ones...usually the uniballers now that I think about it). Anyway, one groggy, doped-up afternoon, when I was recovering from my colon resection, I awoke to catch my boyfriend sliding one of my pens off of my hospital table and into his jacket pocket. Unbelievable! Such nerve. But boy did I laugh.

Best,
Monique

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:15 am

Monique, I love it! Nice to have a good dose of "normal" to speed your recovery. It's great when our loved ones know just what to do.

When I was in the hospital a good friend of mine came in and said she'd been pulled over for not using her turn signal. She put on her best "dumb" face and explained to the officer that there was a national shortage of blinker fluid and she hadn't been able to get any in weeks. She sounded so sincere and so stupid he let her go, shaking his head in disbelief. Now my friend is one of the brightest women I know, and her telling this story had me laughing till I had tears running down my face. I gave my little "hug me" pillow a work-out! My incision was in serious trouble there for a while from all the hee-hawing I was doing.

Now I'm going to get serious. My deep philosophical little 10 year old asked me if I could live one year of my life over, which one would it be. I thought hard about it, and still don't have an answer, but I do know that, in some ways, that year of cancer treatment was one of my best. I had so much love and support around me, and I learned so many good things about myself. I grew in so many positive ways. Of course some of it was hell, but not all of it. Just think, if I'd never had cancer, I may never have known about the national blinker fluid crisis.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:16 am

This has been posted before, but it's worth posting again.

www.thesurvivormovie.com

It's beautiful!

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:11 pm

Cynnycal,
I can believe someone said that to you! When one of my best friends past away at a young age from breast cancer, I was thankful all I had was ulcerative colitis. Now that I have "experienced" cancer, I would take crohn's or UC anyday over cancer. Cancer just plain sucks!!

pantherfan

Funny story

Postby pantherfan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:17 am

When I first started going to the infusion room to get juiced up there was a lady in there who had beautiful hair. It was like she had her hair done before she had chemo everytime.

After a few weeks I decided to compliment on her hair. We had become casual friends. Anyway I walked over to her and told her she had the prettiest hair.

She replied, " It is pretty isn't it, I just wish it was my own."

Ooops
Stage II colon cancer. Surgery 1/2/07. Finished chemo September 2007. 19 total treatments

http://mcharping.blogspot.com/

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 am

Just as I was getting out of the hospital, I heard there was a 24 hour SpongeBob marathon running on TV. I blurted out, "Omigod, there are some things worse than cancer!" My husband was horified, but I know some parents would know what I meant. Still it was probably not the best thing to say. I can appreciate the Square One as much as the next Mom in small doses, but kids can kill the charm of any character by watching the same episode 2,000 times and memorzing every word of dialog. The idea of going home to an 8 year old eager to watch the Bob RTC was too much! As it turned out, the day before I went home, Hubby and Kid got the flu, and I stayed at my Mom's for a few days. SAVED by the flu! Hubby stayed in his room and little one set up the TV in her room and it worked out fine. Lots of neighbors cooked for them and I rested up at Mom's. Lovely!

mpeters6

Postby mpeters6 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:52 am

Magnolia,
I am laughing about your post, My husband and 5yr old would watch Bob RTC if I would let them. My daughter quotes Bob on a regular basis. The other day, Mr. Crabs said something about lightheaded and Emily pipes up, "Mom is already lightheaded!" I guess she has heard me use that term one too many times since I've been sick. The worst was when we were in church, Mass was running overtime, she says loudly "4 HOURS LATER..." Everyone cracked up. If you watch the show, you know the quote.
Stage III Colon Cancer; dx 8/8/07, at the age of 36; sigmoid colectomy 8/13/07; Finished 11 Rounds of Folfox 2/08; currently NED

http://michelepeters.blogspot.com

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:36 pm

I do! Believe me I do.

My kid is ragging on me about chemo brain now. She's 10 now and into the pre-teen sass. Up to a point it's fun. She and I will banter back and forth. I just have to let her know there's a line she can't cross. I warn her and if she pushes it again I get mad.

When she was much younger, we were taking about Zodiac signs. She said "Daddy and I are Virgos and Mom's a Psycho!" And that was BEFORE chemo! I've been Psycho-Mom ever since.

When I was two I sang Happy Birthday at Mass when the lit the candles.

Did this tread get off topic or WHAT?? I think it's my fault. I started the sidetrack.

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:44 pm

After I was diagnosed with stage one colon cancer, my dad(who lost his first wife--my mother--to throat cancer in 1969) told my brother-in-law: "Oh, he didn't really have cancer. He just had one polyp and they took it out."

In keeping with the humorous angle:

I told my wife last night that I was a stingy ol' pig. When she asked why, I said because I had cancer and I didn't let you have any.

She laughed, hugged me and said thank you!
Last edited by johnmeissner on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

SUEW

Postby SUEW » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:45 pm

I WAS TELLING A FRIEND ABOUT HAVING CANCER AND HE LOOKED AT ME AND THEN ASKED ME WHEN MY EXPERATION DATE WAS!!!! I JUST STARTED LAUGHING!! THEN HE REALIZED WHAT HE HAD SAID AND APOLOGIZED, SAYING HE HAD NO CLUE WHY HE HAD SAID THAT.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”