Stage IV and Genetic Testing

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Holly

Stage IV and Genetic Testing

Postby Holly » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:49 pm

As of late, I have recieved a large volume of inquiries about genetic testing. As many of you know, I am a stage IV survivor and underwent comprehensive genetic testing. I was tested at Myriad Genetics, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, University of Birmingham and City of Hope. I was tested because I was diagnosed at the age of 30 and my team and I decided to research possible genetic links to my diagnosis. For those of you who would like more information about genetic testing, I have the following information which I hope helps you:

1. You may call 1-800-469-7423. Dial 0 and you will be directed to a receptionist. The receptionist will take your name, address, and phone number and will send you a DVD or VHS about genetic testing.

Hugs!

Holly

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:03 pm

Please know that if you have specific questions, you are always welcome to send me an email.

Hugs!

Holly

susanz

stage iv and genetic testing

Postby susanz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:25 pm

holly, i don't post often but i read all the time and your upbeat and caring attitude is a gift. my daughter was dx at age 22 last april with stage 3 rectal. she is being treated at the cancer institute of new jersey in new brunswick. they have genetic counselors on staff and she went through genetic testing following her surgery. i was just wondering why you were tested at so many different places. in my daughter's case, no genetic link was found, in spite of some family history. keep up your inspiring posts! susan

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:16 pm

Good Evening Susan,

Thank you for your kind words. Please know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers! Please give her a big hug for me!

As for your inquiry to the locations of my genetic testing. Each facility tested different genes and mutations. It was concluded that the cause of my colon cancer was not genetically linked. So the search is still ongoing to the root cause for my diagnosis.

Please be well and do keep us all updated on your daughters wellness! Know that we are here for you both!

Hugs!

Holly :lol:

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:16 pm

Thank you for the kind emails. Happy March!

Holly

Goofydad

Genetic counselling

Postby Goofydad » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:39 am

Holly,

I understand Sloan-Kettering in NYC also does genetic counselling; my wife's oncologist recommended it (although it remains on our to-do list after this round of chemo,) and said it was available there.

Good luck with your fight, Holly. You do SO rock...and my family loved their Colon-ders this christmas! They were surprised that so many cancer survivers were so young...education continues at the homefront, apparently.

Glenn
Pressure - It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basket-case.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:24 pm

Glenn,

I hope that your wife will continue to be proactive in the management of her health and get her genetic testing.

Thank you for your kind words and remember that ALL things are possible!

Hugs!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”