Totally OT/Need a good laugh?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Anji
Facebook Username: pray for larry edge

Totally OT/Need a good laugh?

Postby Anji » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Continuing the "board needs a good laugh" theme.....here is how my day went. First, a little background....

My son with Down syndrome, Jonah, has been homebound for 6 weeks now. He got a nasty ear infection, which required a central line placed to give IV antifungal meds. School nurse was not comfortable with this, thus Jonah has been at home......

So, Jonah's ear infection is gone. We're just waiting now to get on the surgery schedule to have the line removed. Nurse still won't let him come to school, even though we're not using the line.

Monday, Jonah had a doctor's appointment with the ENT. Long day....tired mom.

Tuesday, Jonah had an appointment with his cardiologist (he has had 3 open heart and 4 closed heart surgeries). Got some not so great news, looks like another surgery sometime in 2011. Another long day.....really tired mom.

Today, in an effort to prevent the starvation of my entire family, I packed Jonah up and headed to the grocery. Just for a few basics. Will do the "heavy" shopping when I don't have Jonah with me....

Before we ever got in the store, we had rung the Salvation Army person's bell, tried to dump the change out of the bucket, and shook hands with every person in sight.

In the store, Jonah took off with the shopping cart. I was trotting along behind, trying to snatch things off the shelf, and keep up with him. Oh yeah.... Wednesday is also Senior Citizen day at our local Kroger. Which means that every person in the county over the age of 60 was in Kroger. Which meant Jonah could do considerable damage with his shopping cart....were he to run over some little old lady. Which he did, by the way.....

We proceeded to the frozen food aisle. While I was choosing some veggies, Jonah was completely emptying the frozen pizza case....into my cart. Sigh. I restocked 5000 Totino's Pizzas, and herded him away from the temptation.

Over to the bakery department. Oh no....it's also sample day. Jonah grazed on breads, chips, cookies, and some unidentifiable thing....in the 9 seconds it took me to choose a loaf of bread.

After checking out and arm wrestling Jonah over the candy on prominent display in the aisle....I loaded him up to head home. And realized it was lunch time. I did what any other self respecting mom in my position would do....and hit the drive thru at McDonalds. Only to find it was busier than rush hour traffic....so junked the drive thru and herded Jonah inside. While waiting in line (not a skill that Jonah has developed yet, by the way) my cell phone rang. I swear, I looked down into my purse for ONE SECOND.....and looked back up to find that Jonah had goosed the man in line in front of us. Big tall, construction worker, angry man....who turned around and looked at me like I had done it!!!

Came home, put away the groceries while Jonah ate. Then parked his butt on the couch with a DVD....and prayed for a nap......

A day in the life of me. And people wonder why I can't remember what day it is most of the time....it's laugh or cry around here. And I choose to laugh.... especially when I remember the look on the man in line at McDonald's face....you KNOW he went back to work and told his buddies that I goosed him.... : )

The little angel is sleeping now....so I think I'm gonna join him. And pray that we don't have to venture back out to the grocery on Senior Citizen day EVER AGAIN!!!!

Anji
Anji
Wife to Larry, Stage IV Colon Cancer, with mets to liver
Diagnosed 1/10 at age 44
Folfiri + Avastin 2/10 to 7/10
Liver resection and ablation 9/10
Numerous mets to lung and liver 1/11
Folfox + Avastin 2/11 to 6/11
Folfiri + Vectibix 6/11 to ???

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: Totally OT/Need a good laugh?

Postby Bev G » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Oh my God! Not really laughing, but really smiling though. Smiling at the good fortune that this damnable cancer has brought me in getting to meet people like you, Anji. I would say you've been through the mill, but that wouldn't be saying enough. That you can find a humorous spin to put on your week says amazing things about you, the extraordinary woman you are, the patient, fun and compassionate mom you are. Next time, YOU goose the guy :D

All the best to Larry, Jonah, YOU, and the rest of the fam.

Much love, Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

blakeswife
Facebook Username: kathy.mair

Postby blakeswife » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:53 am

I'm with Bev! I think you should goose the guy!!! :shock: LOL!!! :wink:

Thanks for the smile.

Kathy
DH Stage IV 10/07
Colectomy, Liver resection & RFA, 1/13 LN
12/07-5/08 Folfox/Avastin
7/09 recurrence-Peritoneum
9/09-12/09 Folfiri/Avastin
1/10-5/10 Xeloda/Avastin
9/10-current w/built in breaks

Kathleen808

Postby Kathleen808 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:16 am

Oh Anji,
I just love you, cuz you gotta laugh. Our kids with special needs do indeed force us to find humor in a lot of things. I am so glad to hear they are taking out the line. I hope it is all good for all of you when he gets back to school.
Keeping your family in my prayers.

Aloha,
Kathleen
Kathleen
DH 1/09 3c 51yr rsct
Folfx 3/09
1 l nd 9/09 Flfri Avstn
PET clr 6/10
Folfri Avstn 7/10
ND 10/10
1/11 lng mets Flfri Avastn
ND 2/12
9/12 Flfri Avastn
10/12 grwth lng mts Erbtx Avstn Irintcn
1/13 stabl
9/13 grwth
8/16/14 passed into eternal peace

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:36 am

I am so glad to hear Jonah is doing better and they will remove the line!

I think you have a new opportunity here. Kind of like everyone blaming the bad fart on the dog... See a cute guy in line somewhere and go for it... ;)

Don't you wish you had even 1/2 the energy he has? My youngest has ADHD and I've always wished I could remove 1/2 of his energy and give it to me. Then I could keep up with him. I think this is what you need to keep up with Jonah. Here's to hoping you don't have to take him in the grocery store again anytime soon, and maybe you should stick to the drive-thru, unless of course you want an excuse to goose a good-looking guy in line. ;)

So happy you can laugh instead of cry!
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

salysue

Postby salysue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:01 am

What a hoot! I needed a good laugh this morning and got it! Thanks for sharing :)
Husband diagnosed 2/7/08
Stage IIIA RC
2 nodes positive out of 29
5FU and radiation
Surgery 6/10/08
6 months Folfox ended 12/31/08
Ileo takedown 2/12/09

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Nanette
Facebook Username: Nanette Pepperday-Derry

Postby Nanette » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:03 pm

What a funny story, Anji! I still have a smile on my face! :D You can only laugh at times like this. Glad to hear Jonah is getting better.

-Nanette
Husband, Bruce - diag. 12/07/08 at age 50
Stage IIIB CC, poorly diff, muc. adeno, sig. ring cell
Stage I bladder cancer
1 of 17 LN affected
Colonectomy 12/11/08
Finished chemo/rad on 8/19/09
Four years NED on 12/11/12 - Thank God!!
Livin' life!!!!!!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Oh my gosh, I can just picture the guys face. My husband is a construction worker and some of them have no sense of humor. Hey bud, take it as a compliment! Too funny!

You certainly have your hands full. God bless you!
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”