Light hearted chemo brain fun

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dschreffler

Light hearted chemo brain fun

Postby dschreffler » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Figured I'd post some fun.. I had round 8 of 12 FolFox treatments. Other all, pretty tame except for fatigue, low blood counts, and chemo brain.

I had one of the silliest "chemo brain" days so far last week. The day after infusion, I poured OJ in my cheerios, and almost put cat food in my water glass. Did the walk into a room to get/do something and forgot what it was until the 3rd trip. Then I went outside to go get some groceries and grabbed wrong set of keys. So could not drive, as the car I did have keys for was blocked by the car that I did not have 'em. So, locked out of the house, had to have father-in-law rescue me with spare key. Next morning, put cereal box in refrigerator. At that point, safely found couch and stayed/slept on it for next 24 hours so to not do anything else stupid. It was funny! It does wear off, so that the few days before the next cycle I can balance a check book ;-)

Last night, took my wife to movies, walked up to counter and asked for 1 ticket. Turned around and wife said what about me. I'm still in trouble over that one! Harry Potter in iMax was still good though.

Happy Thanksgiving!
DX:T3,Nx,M0 2/5/2010 RC 3cm@analverge CEA7.3
Neoadjuntive 2/24-4/5: 28 rad/Xeloda(M-F),5 rnds Oxaliplatin IV weekly
6/15/2010-TAE surgery 10 weeks aft neoadjunctive.
Path clean, CEA1.3
post surgery 12 rnds FOLFOX
NED 1/26/11

kbrown2b

Re: Light hearted chemo brain fun

Postby kbrown2b » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:09 pm

ooo my gosh.. i am still laughing... that is soo great!!!

I couldn't figure out how to open my garage door the other day.. it is so weird how "real" it it!! i kept openning the van doors and hatchback when finally my 11 year old said.. "mom, what are you trying to do?"... so funny..

I also could not find my xeloda last night at all... i was going crazy.. it was in the fridge.. ughh
Kelley 38
mommy to Dalton(14),Raegan (11),and Ella (5)
stage IIIC 5/26/10
resection:6/1
Xelox 6/30
ovarian mass 12/16
moved to Stage III.5
Folfiri /erb 1/25/11
hyster./abcess /temp illeo 9/11
reversal 11/11
back in abdomen Folfox and Avastin 8/12

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:37 pm

Chemo brain is much funnier to read about than to have. I enjoy (sort of) calling the kids by the animals names, and visa versa.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Love, Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

adina91
Facebook Username: Adina Jewett

Postby adina91 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:54 pm

OMG Bev!!! That totally happens to me too! And I only have 2 kids. I do, however have lots of animals.

My confession is: I put calmoseptine on my toothbrush the other morning. So glad I realized it before I started brushing. But then I had to go buy a new toothbrush with dirty teeth! LOL!

I still have the chemobrain even a few months out. Although it could be from the hysterectomy too......Wait....what was I talking about? :wink:
Adina 42 yo, mom of 2 sons (5,9)
11/2009 - DX-2B CC-Sigmoid resect/colostomy
Lynch Synd MSH2
1/2010 - FLOX chemo
5/2010 - Subtotal colectomy/hyster/ileostomy
Stage 3A - 1/42 LN +
8/2010 - Chemo done
10/18/2010 - ileostomy takedown
2010 - 2015 - NED
5/1/15 - "suspicious" area in liver on CT
5/14/15 - follow up PET says no metastatic disease
6/19/15 - MRI - NED!

jshaneadams
Facebook Username: jshaneadams

Postby jshaneadams » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:57 pm

dschreffler wrote:Last night, took my wife to movies, walked up to counter and asked for 1 ticket. Turned around and wife said what about me. I'm still in trouble over that one! Harry Potter in iMax was still good though.

Glad you got to enjoy some Arrry Pottah, what did she end up seeing? ;)

--Shane
37 male, m 18 yrs to my prom date, 4 precious kids (Lauren/16, Noah/12, Joshua/9, Hannah/3)
dx 9/14/10 3:18PM Stg IIIb CC T3N1M0 surg 9/16 Rmv 8cm tmr frm Trans colon 2/16 nodes pos
CT scan 10/19 clr CEA-0.9 pre Crx
started folfox 10/25 12 bi wk

Bev G

Postby Bev G » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:00 pm

Shane- You're very funny---loved that :D :D :D :D

Let's keep this thread going...think we need it. If I didn't have chemo brain I think I could remember many more ridiculous things I've done.

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years

beccab1

Postby beccab1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Oh my - too funny! :D
My husband, Eric, dx @ age 35
Stage IIIb RC (T3N1M0), 3/10
Finished 6 weeks rad/xeloda 5/10
Surgery 7/10, Lap LAR, Colonic J Pouch, Temp. Ileostomy
ypT2N0M0
Xelox (5 rounds)
Takedown 12/13/10
Clear CT - 2011-2015

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Too funny - I just wish mine WOULD wear off! I'm 2+ years out from finishing chemo but I think my chemo brain is here to stay. At this point I say the hell with it - why fight it? I just go with the flow as best I can. Drives hubby crazy though.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

LeeT

Postby LeeT » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Yip chemo brain is very real....my hubby thought it was a cop out at first for me being forgetful but now I see he knows that it is real. I keep calling my little guy by my husbands name when telling someone about him- at first they think it very strange that I am telling a story about my husband's molars or new words he has learned, until they realise I actually mean my baby! Gone from baby brain to chemo brain....I just call myself mushy brain!
LeeT
Age31
Proud mamma of Rhys and wifey to Grant
Dx 29 April Stage IV mCRC cancer with mets on liver
18/05- Started FOLFIRI with Avastin

Wendy21

Postby Wendy21 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 pm

5 years from chemo and my brain is still not at 100%. I used to be able to multi-task to the max and never missed a beat. Then it got to the point where I couldn't even speak without forgetting the word I wanted. Now I take really good notes at work so that I can attempt to keep up.

I have on occasion put cat food in the dishwasher...laundry soap in the dryer and milk in the cupboard. :D

elissa
Facebook Username: elissa fenster cazassus

Postby elissa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Very funny stories. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep my ears open for "chemo brain" comments from my husband.
Elissa
Wife of John, 52
Dx cc 9/3/10; Stage IV
14/25 LN; 2 liver mets
Lynch: MSH2; KRAS mutant
Colon resection 9/9
Various complications
12 rounds of FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
was called home on 4/30/11

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 pm

I could go on forever about chemo brain incedents. Of course the usual forgetting names, misplacing keys. Some of the funnier ones, these are the ones that scare my hubby...

When doing a ton of laundry I put the load of dirty clothes in the drier and turned it on and then rewashed the clean clothes :roll: . That was one of the first days I realised I lost my multitasking ability. I had a ton of stuff started but hubby got home and the house was worse than when he had left it. When washing clothes I have a front loading washer that has a little drawer for the detergent and the fabric softener. I am always switching the two, it is so annoying!

My last big incident is we went to my SIL's for dinner, after being there for about an hour I remembered my phone was still in the car. I go out to get it and not only are my keys still in the car, the car is still running! :roll:

One of the scarier things, for some reason I shut the door and lock the deadbolt with the keys still in the deadbolt. Hubby will come home and find my keys just hanging in the door, he is not very happy about that. Sometimes I am surprised Lilli has survived my chemo-brain.

I swear, before chemo I was not as spacey as I am now, it is rediculas! You just have to keep a sense of humor about it.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

Bev G

Postby Bev G » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:48 pm

jmarie wrote:I could go on forever about chemo brain incedents. Of course the usual forgetting names, misplacing keys. Some of the funnier ones, these are the ones that scare my hubby...

When doing a ton of laundry I put the load of dirty clothes in the drier and turned it on and then rewashed the clean clothes :roll: . That was one of the first days I realised I lost my multitasking ability. I had a ton of stuff started but hubby got home and the house was worse than when he had left it. When washing clothes I have a front loading washer that has a little drawer for the detergent and the fabric softener. I am always switching the two, it is so annoying!

My last big incident is we went to my SIL's for dinner, after being there for about an hour I remembered my phone was still in the car. I go out to get it and not only are my keys still in the car, the car is still running! :roll:

One of the scarier things, for some reason I shut the door and lock the deadbolt with the keys still in the deadbolt. Hubby will come home and find my keys just hanging in the door, he is not very happy about that. Sometimes I am surprised Lilli has survived my chemo-brain.

I swear, before chemo I was not as spacey as I am now, it is rediculas! You just have to keep a sense of humor about it.

Hi Jess:

I'm sympathetic/empathetic for and with you, but yours are really, really funny. I love the one about finding your car still running. I literally laughed out loud. :lol: :lol: You crack me up. Thanks for the bedtime laugh!

Love, Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Lately, my chemo brain incidents have started arguments with my hubby over who did or didn't put something away, when the particular something is nowhere to be found. He is loosing his sense of humor.

Not chemo brain, but a story of "baby brain."
When my daughter was young, I was still working, and traveling to meet customers on a regular basis. My husband would pick the baby up from the nursery, and he had to call me when he was in the car ready to leave the nursery, and again when they were safely at home. On one of my trips, I hadn't gotten the "safe at home" phone call by the time I had to leave the hotel and meet my customers for dinner. I'm sitting through dinner, absolutely trying not to freak out because my phone hasn't rung yet. I'm joking with the guys about it, but inside, I'm going back and forth between freaking out and fuming mad. Finally can't take it, and excuse myself to go make a quick phone call. I open my purse, reach in for my phone, and pull out the TV remote from the hotel room. Damn thing wasn't ever going to ring!
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

adina91
Facebook Username: Adina Jewett

Postby adina91 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Haha! See? That's the real kicker! Not only do we have to deal with chemobrain but mombrain on top of everything else!!!! I am seriously amazed I have managed to keep my 16 month old safe considering the state of my brain over the last year!

My husband and I are dogsitting my SIL's Pomeranian and while his name is Pablo, I keep calling him Pepe, the name of the cat that lives a few houses down that always tries to strut in my front door. Poor Pablo...he's probably so confused.
Adina 42 yo, mom of 2 sons (5,9)
11/2009 - DX-2B CC-Sigmoid resect/colostomy
Lynch Synd MSH2
1/2010 - FLOX chemo
5/2010 - Subtotal colectomy/hyster/ileostomy
Stage 3A - 1/42 LN +
8/2010 - Chemo done
10/18/2010 - ileostomy takedown
2010 - 2015 - NED
5/1/15 - "suspicious" area in liver on CT
5/14/15 - follow up PET says no metastatic disease
6/19/15 - MRI - NED!