Sittiing on the toilet causing dizziness

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MitchellVII

Sittiing on the toilet causing dizziness

Postby MitchellVII » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 am

Hi all,

I have mentioned before that in addition to the CRC thing, I have a Factor V Leiden condition that makes blood clots a problem for me. I have had 3 DVT's in the past 3 years - 2 in one leg and one in the other. I am now on Coumadin pretty much forever.

As we CRC people know, our trips to the john can be a little longer that non-CRC people's. This morning I was a little constipated so sat on the throne for longer than usual. When I arose, my left leg had fallen almost completely asleep and my right leg was heading that way. As my leg came back to consciousness, I noticed I felt VERY lightheaded and had some numbness in my arms as well as intermittent pains in my chest. It was pretty bad at first and seems a little better as I type this.

Question is, should I be concerned about this or is this a normal reaction to my legs going to sleep? It would make sense that as blood rushed back to my legs, it might make other things numb or tingly, especially since my blood is thinner than normal. It could be that the thinness allows the blood to rush back faster thus causing a lack of blood elsewhere? Who knows. Just wondering if this leg falling asleep is a potential trouble sign or just normal? I have only noticed this in the last month or so - numbness from sitting on the can.

Mitchell
Stage IIA CRC Dx 03/08
Full right colectomy with 32 Lymph Nodes removed
Tumor 6 cm long by 2 cm thick in right ascending colon, 1/2 villous adenoma
MSI-High (MLH-1 indicated)
Factor V Leiden (Blood Clotting)
NED (as far as I know)

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Re: Sittiing on the toilet causing dizziness

Postby jmarie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:14 am

Is it when you sit in general or only on the toilet?
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:59 am

Sounds kinda like vagus nerve stimulation, Mitchell - have you reported it to your doctor?
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 am

I have been having sporatic problems with dizziness for years, starting long before CRC. There is no medical condition or identifiable cause for me, and I am no worse post-crc; possibly a little better.
The following biological factors are problematic for many people, with occasional dizziness experiences: high or low blood pressure, various cardio-vascular conditions, low electrolytes in blood, etc.

When sitting on the toilet the following could be inducing some dizziness- Sitting still for an extended period of time; keeping your body in some atypical posture- bending your torso down towards your legs, crossing your legs; drinking lots of liquid as you sit there; sitting in a room that is overheated; and many other environmental factors.

If your recent experience has been notably different than in prior years, I would definitely check it out with an expert.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Like Gaelen said...sounds like micturition syncope.....check it out at wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micturition_syncope
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:44 pm

That's so interesting, Ivona, because I've never heard it called "micturation syndrome". Mitchell, I was going to say it sounded like a vaso-vagal response, but since Gaelen already did, I won't. However, short of massaging your carotid arteries-DON'T, the easiest way I know of activate your vagal nerve is to bear-down (like pooping, or more specifically, straining at pooping). If you're ever really bored on the toilet, put your finger on your carotid artery in your neck (JUST ONE SIDE) and feel how your pulse changes when you bear down. It will go down, probably a lot, you might feel dizzy at the same time as your BP drops when you stimulate your vagus nerve.

Also, since toilets seem to be a lot harder seats than the chairs you probably usually sit in, there could be more of a "tourniquet" effect on your legs from sitting there for a long time.

However, since you have the clotting issues that you do, I think it would be a smart bet to run this issue by one of your docs, probably your hematologist, maybe a cardiac guy if you have one.

Good luck, Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

jshaneadams
Facebook Username: jshaneadams

Postby jshaneadams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Not to take away from the physiological advice already mentioned here but I had a similar problem with the legs going to sleep when I was on "the bull". This used to happen to me even prior to surgery and it was becuase I tend to stoop over and rest my forearms on the thighs for extended periods (things were moving slower in those days due to blockage).

Hannah flushed a GPS down the toilet a few months ago and I broke the tank in the process of getting it out (the GPS however survived, go Garmin). I replaced it with a toilet from Lowes that sits about 6 inches higher and that problem pretty much went away even though I still stoop to poop (sorry if that's TMI, just trying to help :)). Without replacing the toilet there are extenders available at medical supply stores to lift up the seat 6 or 8 inches. Does wonders for the knees too.

HTH --Shane
37 male, m 18 yrs to my prom date, 4 precious kids (Lauren/16, Noah/12, Joshua/9, Hannah/3)
dx 9/14/10 3:18PM Stg IIIb CC T3N1M0 surg 9/16 Rmv 8cm tmr frm Trans colon 2/16 nodes pos
CT scan 10/19 clr CEA-0.9 pre Crx
started folfox 10/25 12 bi wk

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:57 pm

There is a name for it? Something I never discussed with my MD because I thought it was nerves. How about that! Always learning here. Thanks for the information.
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

MitchellVII

Postby MitchellVII » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input. I think it was a combination of this including just flat out sitting on the can too long. Moral of the story - don't take your smart phone into the toilet with you ;-). I think this might have been accentuated by the coumadin effects.

Felt pretty rotten and lightheaded all day after that - better today.
Stage IIA CRC Dx 03/08
NED (as far as I know)

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 pm

MitchellVII wrote:Moral of the story - don't take your smart phone into the toilet with you ;-).

Definitely, cause you'll risk dropping it in the toilet like I almost did the other day. Missed the "loaded" bowl by mere inches :shock:
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

MitchellVII

Postby MitchellVII » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:01 am

SkiFletch wrote:
MitchellVII wrote:Moral of the story - don't take your smart phone into the toilet with you ;-).

Definitely, cause you'll risk dropping it in the toilet like I almost did the other day. Missed the "loaded" bowl by mere inches :shock:

My Otterbox Defender Case doesn't list "poop" as one of the things it protects against :).
Stage IIA CRC Dx 03/08
NED (as far as I know)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”