What did you drink on FOLFOX??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
530jgs
Facebook Username: 530jgs

Re: What did you drink on FOLFOX??

Postby 530jgs » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:03 pm

I HAD PROBLEMS STAYING HYDRATED DURIG MY TREATMENTS. I ASKED MY ONC IF I COULD COME INTO THE OFFICE AND GET A LITER OR TWO OF FLUID A DAY AFTER A CHEMO TREATMENT. THIS HELPED ME TO FINISH UP MY TREATMENTS. I LOST 25LBS DURING CHEMO NOT BECAUSE OF NAUSEA, BUT BECAUSE OF THE COMPLAINTS YOU HAD, NO APPETITE AND NOTHING TASTED WELL. STAY HYDRATED AND GOOD LUCK...JIM

STAGE III RECTAL CA 9/08
CHEMO RAD
LAR WITH ILEO
6 ROUNDS XELOX
ILEO REVERSAL 2 MONTHS AGO

Rick7

Postby Rick7 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I had tx on Mondays, then on Tue and Wed I would come in for hydration at the Onc office.
Ask your Onc about this - they also added Calcium and Magnesium during this time.

I also drank a lot of Pedialyte and hot teas. Sipping all day.

Good luck,
Rick
CC DX 1-7-09 at age 40 - Stage IV, T4-N1-M1
Surgery 1-16-09 - Folfox6 Feb-Aug 2009
Clear scans - PET/CT 9-09, CT 3-10, CT 9-10
Head MRI 3-11, CT 9-11
Head CT 2-12, PET/CT 9-12

pabl

Postby pabl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:26 pm

I have the same problem!!!! I have two more to go and I think the secret of getting thru it is fluids! Thanks for all of the info!
Pam
RC 8 '09 at 45 y/o
Stage 3, 2 nodes
9 '09 rad and xel.
2 '10 resect, temp. ileo
3 '10 started 8 rounds Folfox, finished 6.
9 '10 ileo reverse
CT Scan---missed a 2 mm lung met (Jan '11)
Grew to 1 cm till yr. ct scan---VATS (Jan '12)
NED

pabl

Postby pabl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:26 pm

I have the same problem!!!! I have two more to go and I think the secret of getting thru it is fluids! Thanks for all of the info!
Pam
RC 8 '09 at 45 y/o
Stage 3, 2 nodes
9 '09 rad and xel.
2 '10 resect, temp. ileo
3 '10 started 8 rounds Folfox, finished 6.
9 '10 ileo reverse
CT Scan---missed a 2 mm lung met (Jan '11)
Grew to 1 cm till yr. ct scan---VATS (Jan '12)
NED

starbuck30

Postby starbuck30 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Tea, tea, and more tea. Particularly Rishi blueberry roibos tea, African red bush, and there's some kind of tea called Tummy Comfort tea (if you like I can look up who makes it, it's supposed to be for kids but I love it, it's a mixture of chamomile, peppermint, and a couple others). Also hot water w/lemon and warm milk w/a little honey. The red tea and roibos are nice because they're loaded w/antioxidants. I'm allergic to caffeine so I can't drink green tea but a lot of people swear by it. Good luck dude. PLEASE try to keep hydrated. I've been hospitalized for dehydration and it SUCKS. I hope this helps.

Warm wishes,
Starbuck
2/26/10 Dx'd colon cancer
3/12 complete colerectomy, temporary ileostomy
3/19 pathology came back Stage IIIC CC
4/2 started FOLFOX
Chemo "precautionary", last CT showed NED PLEASE God let's keep it that way
9/16/10 FOLFOX finished! Woo hah!

HollyID
Facebook Username: Holly Woodcock

Postby HollyID » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Like everyone else, I had to do warmer that room temp items. Usually tea, coffee, water. Even though it tasted funny, I still drank. My husband made me. :D
Holly, 47
11/17/09 colonoscopy;
11/23/09 dx with adenocarcinoma;
12/03/09 LAR
Stage IIIB T3N1M0 1/11 LN
1/12/09 CT NED
1/19/09 Start Folfox
6/24/10 Done with chemo!!!
7/7/10 CT scan. I'm in NED'sville.
9/11/12 colonoscopy for bleeding (staple from anastomotic site)
7/31/15 New tumor discovered near rectum. Biopsied. Adenocarcinoma. CEA 3.5 Lynch negative
8-10/2015 Radiation
12/14/2015 Revision of LAR with new permanent colostomy

Sinfulsot
Facebook Username: Given Upon Request

Postby Sinfulsot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:32 pm

i drank tea
And now something so wonderful, you could get wonderful poisoning.

Suze

Postby Suze » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Try one of those boxes of assorted herbal (or decaf) teas, and see which ones you like You may find that flavors you use to dislike taste good now. Doctor them up with lemon, or milk or honey. With hot weather coming on, it is more important than ever to stay hydrated. Susan
Dx 5/07 Stage IV 59 y/o
6 mos Folfox, Avas., erb.
Surg. for colon, liver mets 1/08
Folfox & Avas. 2/08-8/08
Liver met 10/09, Iri 11/09 - 7/10
SBRT 4/10, 12/10
30-40 lung mets 4/11
Irin./erbitux 5/11-8/11
xeloda/avastin 8/11-2/12
xeloda/erb 2/12/-4/12

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Towards the end of my pregnancy I was taking in 120-150 oz of water or tea daily(The diahrea was so severe it was either this or get admitted for IV fluids). Once I started chemo, water was very unappealing, I pretty much was lucky to drink 1 glass of water throughout the day. I also have a water cooler, so I always did 2 inches of hot water, the rest cold. I drank lots of hot tea, green or white and vitamin water. After Folfox I couldn't drink green,white teas or vitamin water. I just started being able to drink green tea again, white tea still makes me nauseas. Thankfully water is good again, I am back to drinking lots of water.

If your having a hard time with drinking fluids, Smart Water by glaceua is good. It has the electrolytes of gatorade but is unflavored, no high fructose corn syrup. Just tastes like water. When on Folfox I would get cramps and a achiness in my legs from dehydration, this is what the nurses suggested. Plus it was in small bottles so I could take it with me and it didn't need to be refrigerated.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Postby Candyys03 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:08 am

Not just on folfox but on all my chemos.
Drink anything and everything you can!
If you think you might like it or be able to tolerate it- try it and drink it.
All of the above drinks mentioned are good but you have to find what works for you.
I get metal mouth and major diarrhea and I just can't get water down my throat when I'm on chemo.Everything I drink is at room temperature because if it is cold it bothers my mouth and I get cold chills as it goes down.
Gatorade comes in many flavors.When I get tired of one flavor or one thing then I try another.
If you can handle cold try Popsicle's,sorbet,Italian ices,anything with no milk.Pedilite comes in Popsicle's too.
7up,flavored water,crystal light,Hi C,Capri Sun,Hansen's,Snapple,tea,popsicle's whatever you can.Try flat carbonated drinks.The dark sodas like coke have syrup in them and can cause more diarrhea.I like root beer better.Citrus is good for metal mouth but not diarrhea.
Lemon heads,hard candy and gummies help with the metal mouth.
Try watering down oj,lemonade,etc.. if it's too strong.
Tea is a diuretic which can cause diarrhea,try decaffeinated black tea but if you can drink any kind of tea it's better than ending up in the hospital.
Mexican agua's(waters) are good too and if you can't find them you can make them at home in your blender-fruit,sugar,water-watermelon,strawberry,melon etc...
Smoothies can be made with milk,soy milk or lactose free nutrition drinks and you can put your vitamins,protein and anything you want in it.
In the almost 4 years I have been on chemo I have tried just about everything even extra fluids by IV.

Candy :mrgreen:
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:54 am

I frequently had to really force myself to drink - it was so important to get through the treatment without being hospitalized for dehydration.

I drank:

-peppermint tea
-fruit smoothies that we would make with fresh fruit that was room temperature and from yogurt that we would bring up to room temp
-hot lemonade, Tang, limeade
-hot apple cider
-ginger tea (home made as well as commercial)
- lots of water
- and as a treat on the day before infusion (my one day for cold drinks!) - a prickly pear margarita! (But even at the end of the four and a half months of adjuvant chemo I couldn't drink these).

SBL
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

seamonkey
Facebook Username: Darren Stiles

Postby seamonkey » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks to everyone for sharing your hydration stories. I have to get to the supermarket before the next infusion and stock up! I really appreciate everyone's help in this.
50 year old male dx 1/12/10
Resection 1/26/10
Stage 2A - T3 N0 M0, moderately differentiated, 0/13 LN+
Finished Chemotherapy 8/26/10
Six years cancer free!

Jen

Postby Jen » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:40 am

hot tea...all day every day. It doesn't give you the 50 lemons ouch feeling, and there are many herbal/fruity flavors
2008 March 37th Bday DX :( T3N2M0
3C Rectal Cancer, 5cm tumor, 4/33 nodes positive
28 tx IMRT Radiation, 12 tx Folfox, 1 month Xeloda
5 years NED 3/14/2013!

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:17 am

I usually love herbal teas, but found I couldn't always tolerate them on chemo. As things progessed, I tried different things that I would not normally drink.

Tahitian Treat soda. Normally I'd NEVER go near the stuff, but for a couple of chemo cycles I got that down (at room temp) when I couldn't get much else down.

Room temp orange soda. (Another thing I'd normally not drink.)

Warm apple cider.

Room temp cranberry juice.

Blue Gatorade.

Vitamin Water (some flavors worked better than others).

Water with a little bit of lemonade, OJ, or grapfruit juice added. I could not drink plain water even though normally I drink a LOT of water. I couldn't tolerate the acid (due to mouth sores) of juice alone, but flavoring my water with it worked. Room temp.

Cream of Wheat and oatmeal - yes these are considered as part of your liquids since they are made with quite a bit of liquid.

Soups - again part of your liquids. Potato soup was the only one I could eat the start of each cycle, but as I got closer to the next one I could eat tomoto and some others.

Drink from a plastic glass - or try a straw. It really can make a huge difference in that "metal" taste. I normally hate plastic, but I'm still using it because a cold glass container is hard for me - the cold sets off the neuropathy in my hands and I have trouble hanging on to it.

Consider drinking things that aren't part of your normal diet. This is just temporary. You might be surprised at some odd things that go down well. I was.

I got disconnected by home health on Saturdays. On Mondays I had to go in for a Neupogen shot, and most Mondays I got IV fluids also. Tuesdays I went for another shot, and sometimes got IV fluids those days too. It can make such a HUGE difference in how you feel. If you can stay hydrated energy levels are better, and so is nausea. If you are having trouble, consider going in for IV fluids. Do whatever it takes to stay hydrated.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

Brendaindy
Facebook Username: Brenda Coleman

Postby Brendaindy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Since I had the cold sensativity I had a hard time finding something that tasted good warm.

Pink lemonade was good:)

Big Blue (spin off of Big Red) tasted good to me to.

My docs said any fluid was good, dont worry to much about the nutritional value. Just drink.
Stage II Rectal dx 5/08
Radiation and Chemo
LAR w/Ileo & J Pouch 10/20/08
Finished Folfox 5/4/09
CT showed NED!
Illeo reversal 7/31/09
so far... so good....

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”