Do hernias show up on CT scans?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Do hernias show up on CT scans?

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Jaynee mentioned hernias being detected by X-rays in another thread and since I didn't want to hijack that very important conversation, I thought I'd start a new one.

So, I've been concerned in recent months that I may be herniating my incision point and ileo scar straining on the toilet. Constipation has been my main complaint post-reversal, though I recently started eating Metamucil wafers and they've helped a lot. But I still get a little stinging pain in the scars on occasion when I push hard. I have my annual CT scan coming up this Thursday. Will they be able to detect any tearing, etc. in my abdominal wall? Should I mention this possibility to the tech before we start?
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

paula

Re: Do hernias show up on CT scans?

Postby paula » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Yes they detected mine every single scan. I'd definitely mention it. Good luck.
3/08 Stage IIIa, colon resection, 12 rounds folfox
5/10 recurrence; right lobe liver metastasis
Hepatic resection 6/10; HAI pump and 6 months folfox/FUDR
Currently NED

The world is unfathomably beautiful today

starbuck30

Postby starbuck30 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm not an expert on this or anything, but when they thought I had a hernia the recommended exam was an ultrasound. Granted, I don't know if that was because of my crappy insurance (or rather lack of any insurance, crappy or otherwise) or because that's the standard of care, but that was my experience. HOWEVER, from the bit of nursing training I had in my other life (before cancer) I do believe it was mentioned that a CT can indeed detect some hernias depending on their location and it sounds like yours would show up. Either way, I would definitely mention it to your doc before they run the CT to give them a heads-up for what else to look for.
2/26/10 Dx'd colon cancer
3/12 complete colerectomy, temporary ileostomy
3/19 pathology came back Stage IIIC CC
4/2 started FOLFOX
Chemo "precautionary", last CT showed NED PLEASE God let's keep it that way
9/16/10 FOLFOX finished! Woo hah!

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Agree on mentioning it and agree that a CT should have no problem detecting an abdominal hernia. They can get tricky in the pelvis, but abdominal wall hernias are usually very easy to detect via CT or ultrasound as starbuck mentioned :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

meeko

Postby meeko » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:41 pm

I have the same problem...and the stinging sensation at times. I often put my hand over my stoma scar to kind of hold it. If you find out you have one...I might have one too...I dont have any bulging however...
rectal cancer 9/08
LAR 10/1/08
2nd surgery for peritonitis and abcess 10/08/08 w/ temp ileo
stage 2A (t3) N0/16 M0
total of 8 rounds of 5fu/Leucovoran-- 5/09
Reversal and Hysterectomy 10/09/09
Married, 2 daughters
So far ..so Good!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Well I'm hoping not in both our cases, meeko, but since I'll be getting the CT and seeing my surgeon the next day, this seems like a good opportunity to find out for sure. About the last place I ever want to wind up is back in the hospital--for any reason.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Both of my hernia's (first one at top of my original incision - above/to left of belly button and second where ileo used to be) showed up on routine CT's. When you meet with your oncologist, just be sure to ask if the report mentions hernia's - if they are there, they will be noted.

If you feel around the area that stings, you might be able to feel a firm "ball" shape too - another good sign of a hernia. My surgeon told me any time they cut into your abdominal wall, it will always be weaker than the "original" you and more susceptible to hernia's.

I had my accupuncture therapist work on my scar where my ileo used to be last week and it really helped. She said accupuncture is very effective at helping break down scar tissue. I had a hernia repaired there about 18 months ago and it's just never seemed quite right. One end is still slightly swollen and it gets kind of tender. So far no new hernia's have shown up - but who knows; maybe I've got another one coming. :-(
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:11 pm

My hernias have always shown up and been noted on my CT scans. But mentioning that to the radiology tech won't do you much good - you need to bring this to your surgeon so that he evaluates the scan with that in mind. Usually, radiologists will note a hernia in the all-things-seen category.

BTW, if constipation is an issue, the easiest way to rectify that in my experience is to increase your *fat* intake, not your fiber intake. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that this works on low-carb nutrition boards. Your mileage may vary, but increasing fat intake works for most people who start low carbing and report constipation as an issue - they are usually not consuming enough fat in their diets.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:13 am

Eric,

I'm not quite sure what I said but what I meant to say was a doctor can oftentimes tell that you don't have a hernia without any other tests. The original poster mentioned no x-rays, etc. and all I meant was there certainly are instances where you can palpate/visualize the hernia without any additional tests.

However, that being said, I have a small hiatal hernia which was picked up by an x-ray and a CT scan so yes, the can pick them up. Do they always??? I don't know but it would seem that IF a patient presented with issues that might be a hernia that there would be close scrutiny on the CT scan to that particular area.

Something else worth mentioning as a possibility is adhesions. They can be TERRIBLY painful and oftentimes certain people are just more prone to them than others. Some of the things you describe are very consistent with adhesions. Unfortunately, I'm one of those lucky people who are plagued by them. I can get them from infections (had pelvic inflammatory disease once and now have adhesions all over my pelvis)and of course from any of my many surgeries. It doesn't seem as though any part of me that has had surgery has been spared and they were particularly bad after my gallbladder surgery. I'm not saying that's what you have but it is certainly worth investigating. The bad part is there truly is very little you can do for them. More surgery tends to just make you get more of the nasty adhesions.

Please let us know what the doc thinks this pain might be.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

ericadc2

Postby ericadc2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:56 am

I recently found out personally that not all hernias show up on ct scans. I had 2 of them done, with bloating and tightening in my stomach, but nothing showed up. My gynecologist sent me for an mri and it showed that I had a suprapubic ventral hernia which I am in the hospital now recovering from surgery to repair it. My surgeon said that mine was the first one she has ever known of not to show up on a ct scan. Hope this info helps.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”