Suggestions on what to eat before a colonoscopy.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Suggestions on what to eat before a colonoscopy.

Postby cptmac » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:38 am

I always eat foods high in fiber. I love salads and veggies. But these are on the no eat list before a colonoscopy. I haven't had one in 5 years and am looking for suggestions for food.

Red meat is out, I'm allergic to seafood, so chicken and turkey it is. I don't know if I could eat a chicken or turkey sandwich w/o raw veggies....

Even more so, I'll be traveling on one of the days, so what can I eat at fast food joints that are low in fiber? Is fried chicken okay? I haven't have fried chicken in years.....

Is chicken terriyaki ok? I can't eat that in a car, but could eat it later...

Ohh, I haven't had mac and cheese in years either....

Suggestions are welcome.
cptmac
As long as you're alive, there is hope.
dx 7/04 stage IV
colon resection 8/04
liver resection 9/04 with HAI pump installed
Stage II trial w irinotecan as systemic and FUDR for direct chemo to liver via HAI pump
Cured since 9/04

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Re: Suggestions on what to eat before a colonoscopy.

Postby Ivona » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:52 am

I'm goin' thru the same issue as we speak. My prep is tomorrow and the scope is thursday. I eat a mostly low carb diet..so veggies are my mainstay. I am having a really difficult time with the pre-pre diet. :twisted: No nuts, no raw veggies, no cheese, no red meat, no red anything........grrrr... So I'm 'feasting' on soups at lunch....and supper is cooked seafood/fish with cooked veggies. No red wine......... :roll:

After my scope...I am having my nice veal/pork meatloaf, ceasar mashed potaters with lots of garlic and chives, corn on the cob and gravy! Screw the diet that day!!! :D
Last edited by Ivona on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:55 am

on the road, you could have a KFC grilled double-down - grilled chicken (2), bacon, cheese, sauce and no bread. I could only eat half.

Ivona, I know that cptmac doesn't eat red meat, but why are you avoiding it pre-scope?

Personally, I try to go to a liquid diet (protein shakes, mainly) for at least two days prior to prep.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Ivona

Postby Ivona » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:58 am

Gaelen wrote:on the road, you could have a KFC grilled double-down - grilled chicken (2), bacon, cheese, sauce and no bread. I could only eat half.

Ivona, I know that cptmac doesn't eat red meat, but why are you avoiding it pre-scope?

Personally, I try to go to a liquid diet (protein shakes, mainly) for at least two days prior to prep.

My pre-prep instructions are NO iron rich foods....NO red foods....no raw veggies...NO cheese......sigh....very very difficult to eat like this for two days...........oh well...by tomorrow I'll be on broth and mountain-dew.....yippee.... :roll:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Ivona,
You can eat red meat. I wouldn't go OVERBOARD - mostly with the iron rich foods, they are talking about things like liver (yuck) and definately NO iron supplements.
Red meat isn't the same as red dye - which is what they want you to avoid. Go ahead and eat red meat. It's fine.
Also, this surprised me at my last scope. My doc said that cranberry juice (as long as it's natural) was fine. Kind of surprised the heck out of me - being a red drink and all but she said it was the red DYE that I had to avoid, not natural coloring. Oh well, I'm not a huge fan of cranberry juice anyway - just was something new to be able to have during that fun day before the prep!

Also not sure why no cheese - never an issue with me or any of my prep instructions.

Gaelen has a good choice for the KFC - eat today - you can't tomorrow!

cptmac - yep you should be able to eat mac and cheese (again I've never been told no cheese), chicken and turkey on bread (no whole wheat though and no sesame seeds or any other seed type buns though - just pick the seeds off) are also fine.

Soups are generally fine - even homemade ones with veggies as long as they are cooked. I was also fine with the Boston Market apples (cooked - again fine as long as they are cooked) and anything else I wanted. Fried chicken is a good one - popcorn chicken, is fine too.

Just get a sandwich minus the lettuce, tomato, sprouts, etc. and you'll be fine. The day before my last scope I ate fish and chips out at a seafood place and I'm not a big seafood lover although I do love a good fish and chips!
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

jonva
Facebook Username: drivevirginia

Postby jonva » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:08 pm

If you can stand it, I have found that the best possible thing for me to do is to eat nothing at all starting at least 48 hours before the procedure. I just survive on Slurpee's that are not red and other clear liquids. It makes the prep and the trips to the bathroom so much easier when you have done a natural clearing out before the prep starts. Good luck.
Jon
Father of three, 3, 7 & 11.
Stage III-A dx 1/20/09 @ 41 years old.
Resection 2/19/09
6 months Folfox ended 10/09
Clear scans 12/7/09 & 3/1, 7/1, & 11/1/10.
Scanning every four months and holding breath.

Ivona

Postby Ivona » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Notice that most junky foods is what is 'allowed' on the low residue diet???? :lol: So you can go nuts (ok...NO Nuts!) on cake, pasta (not w.w.), white rice, potatoes, fries, blah blah.....ironic ain't it???
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Ohhh fries... I've not had fries in years... And their is a great cupcake place on the way to the hospital. Thanks for the suggestions... I'm looking forward to my new diet.... At first I couldn't think of what I could possibly eat, now I'm heading to the bakery.... :D
cptmac
As long as you're alive, there is hope.
dx 7/04 stage IV
colon resection 8/04
liver resection 9/04 with HAI pump installed
Stage II trial w irinotecan as systemic and FUDR for direct chemo to liver via HAI pump
Cured since 9/04

meeko

Postby meeko » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:55 pm

My GI doc puts me on a low residue diet two days before...baked chicken, no skin. tuna, no mayo. potatoes and white bread and plain pasta..vanilla wafers.. marshmallows.. jello, not red.. white rice...not tasty but worth it...!!
rectal cancer 9/08
LAR 10/1/08
2nd surgery for peritonitis and abcess 10/08/08 w/ temp ileo
stage 2A (t3) N0/16 M0
total of 8 rounds of 5fu/Leucovoran-- 5/09
Reversal and Hysterectomy 10/09/09
Married, 2 daughters
So far ..so Good!

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Wierd, the only thing my doc cares about is red dye. He let me eat anything I wanted until the night before...
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:15 pm

No solids.
Fast the day before the prep, or at most, eat a clear liquid diet.
Your prep will go a lot easier with a lot less to get rid of.

This is what I have done for every prep and the worst part of all of them has been the taste of the nasty swill taken to clean one out.

bottoms up
cheers
yeeeeeeeeeecchhhhhhhh!

j
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:37 am

If you're an ostomate - NO MARSHMALLOWS! Marshmallows are one of the 'tricks' of ileostomates and they also work for colostomates to STOP the flow from an ostomy temporarily so that people can do a change of wafer/bag. The last thing you want to be eating before a colonoscopy prep designed to clean you out is something that essentially constipates you. ;)
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Ivona

Postby Ivona » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:00 pm

Take it from me...(am prepping as we speak)...you do NOT want to eat any hot peppers, hot sauce or anything with capsaicin the day or so before prep day.

I totally forgot ... and trust me the stuff burns as much goin' out as it did goin' in.....can you say...'dumb'..... :roll:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”