Scanxiety Time - Update with GOOD NEWS!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Scanxiety Time - Update with GOOD NEWS!!

Postby NWgirl » Mon May 31, 2010 12:53 am

My next scan is next week and I'm having big time scanxiety. This is a 2 month follow up to my last CT to see if the spots they detected 2 months ago in my lungs have done anything. "Done anything" - makes it sound like they're going to do a song and dance for the technician eh?

And, like all of us going through scan time, I'm totally freaking out. My chest sometimes feels like someone is sitting on it - not bad; just a little bit - and not noticable all the time. I have a slight sore, tickly throat and a minor cough. This could all be due to the gardening I've been doing; or allergies; or.....???????? The singing and dancing lung mets maybe?

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate this. And for what it's worth, I do feel a teeny tiny bit better just being able to post this and know that YOU ALL UNDERSTAND.

There. Now I'm going to go dig out my Lorazepam and try to get some sleep. Maybe the singing dancing lung mets can sing me a lullaby.
Last edited by NWgirl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

salysue

Re: Scanxiety Time

Postby salysue » Mon May 31, 2010 7:12 am

Ah....scanxiety. We all get it whether we are a caregiver or patient. I will be thinking of you and sincerely hope that those lung thingies are no longer existent! Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!
Husband diagnosed 2/7/08
Stage IIIA RC
2 nodes positive out of 29
5FU and radiation
Surgery 6/10/08
6 months Folfox ended 12/31/08
Ileo takedown 2/12/09

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

paula

Postby paula » Mon May 31, 2010 7:18 am

That same thing that was sitting on my chest apparently moved on to you. I hope and pray you have better results and you can sing and dance away from the scan reports to spite those lung thingies. :)
3/08 Stage IIIa, colon resection, 12 rounds folfox
5/10 recurrence; right lobe liver metastasis
Hepatic resection 6/10; HAI pump and 6 months folfox/FUDR
Currently NED

The world is unfathomably beautiful today

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Mon May 31, 2010 7:56 am

Oh Belle,

I so understand. A month ago I was fretting the exact same thing as you know. I had good news from my scan so here's hoping your's is the same. I'll be thinking about you!

SBL
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Paula G.

Postby Paula G. » Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 am

I know the feeling. My husbands scan is on the10th. I seem to get more up in the air than he does. His CEA has gone up every blood draw. It is 24.0 now so I know something is going on.'
Last scan showed improvement in lungs and liver but the adrenal glans mets had grown mm.
I hope you will have a good scan. Wishing you the best, Paula

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon May 31, 2010 11:12 am

NWgirl wrote: "Done anything" - makes it sound like they're going to do a song and dance for the technician eh?

How about if you start singing "We Shall Overcome...and doin' the happy dance !! "
That is what I am hoping for, for you...good scannin, nuttin' but good scannin'.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

hopeful

Postby hopeful » Mon May 31, 2010 11:24 am

I'm hoping to hear that those "lung thingies" are gone and that you don't have to think about them any more. We know all about scanxiety here. I'll be thinking about you and praying for good results.
Caregiver to husband diagnosed 11/09 stage IIIb colon cancer
Surgery 11/5/09
12 rounds FOLFOX beginning 12/18/09
Folfox finished 6/3/10
Last scan Jan 2015
NED since Dec. 2009

meeko

Postby meeko » Mon May 31, 2010 11:41 am

Wishing and hoping for a clean scan and that the "mets" dont exist at all! I would be just as freaked out! Love Lorazopam!!
rectal cancer 9/08
LAR 10/1/08
2nd surgery for peritonitis and abcess 10/08/08 w/ temp ileo
stage 2A (t3) N0/16 M0
total of 8 rounds of 5fu/Leucovoran-- 5/09
Reversal and Hysterectomy 10/09/09
Married, 2 daughters
So far ..so Good!

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon May 31, 2010 12:03 pm

I'm going "nuts" waiting, waiting, waiting.

I had a CT scan end of October 2009.Phone call from Oncologist' nurse saying there is a " very small lesion on lungs" come back in 6 months for CT scan.

CT scan on 8th May, appointment scheduled with my Oncologist for 14 May. On 7th May Oncologist' office called and said "Oncologist has a family emergency cancelled ALL appointments....you are re-scheduled to see her [url]21st June". Go ahead with CT scan!!

So here I sit....CT scan on 8th May, appointment 21 June...........[url]NO COMMUNICATION FROM ONCOLOGIST OR CANCER CENTRE[/url] :x

No luck in getting CT scan results............I phoned Oncologist' office repeatedly.
Joy
Stage III rectal cancer 2 nodes out of 19
LAR January 4th 2006
2 rounds of FOLFOX
28 continuous radiation with continuous 5FU
6 rounds of FOLFOX
NED

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Mon May 31, 2010 2:43 pm

Joy wrote:I'm going "nuts" waiting, waiting, waiting.

I had a CT scan end of October 2009.Phone call from Oncologist' nurse saying there is a " very small lesion on lungs" come back in 6 months for CT scan.

CT scan on 8th May, appointment scheduled with my Oncologist for 14 May. On 7th May Oncologist' office called and said "Oncologist has a family emergency cancelled ALL appointments....you are re-scheduled to see her [url]21st June". Go ahead with CT scan!!

So here I sit....CT scan on 8th May, appointment 21 June...........[url]NO COMMUNICATION FROM ONCOLOGIST OR CANCER CENTRE[/url] :x

No luck in getting CT scan results............I phoned Oncologist' office repeatedly.

Joy - I am so sorry. I think being unable to get your results within a few days is verging on malpractice! Have you talked to a nurse in your onc's office? Or called the radiology place and just asked to pick up a copy of your report. Obviously the radiology office has provided a report, so at this point you are just asking for medical records that you have a right to a copy of.

Good luck, but I would not wait until 21-June. You have a right to those records and you've already waited longer than many docs recommend to recheck a potential lung met.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:21 pm

Belle,

I so understand what you're going through. My lung thingies did, in fact, turn into lung mets. My oncologist did tell me though at this point there would be no symptoms. So probably any chest discomfort you have would not point to lung mets.

I'm hoping that soon you will be telling us that the lung thingies have disappeared! Good luck!

love,
Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 pm

You all are so awesome. Joy - OMG - I don't know what I would do!!!!

In conversation w/my hubby today I mentioned "well, you know I have my scan this week" - ummm....no. Yeah, not a ton of support here at home - so to at least know I can come here and get support, that means the world to me. I love my husband dearly, but when it comes to cancer, I really feel like I'm on my own - crazy as that sounds. Thankfully, I have a few close friends who are close by my side through it all; and of course - all of you.

Had some friends over for a BBQ today. Fortunately we have a covered deck - so despite sun, rain, clouds, more rain, more sun - we were able to hang out on the deck all afternoon and it was really beautiful. Days like today - fun, friends, great food (dairy free lol!), great wine, that's what life is all about. And then the night comes - and my mind goes into over load. Not fun. Time to break out the lorazepam again.

I have to confess, I really wish my husband was more supportive - but from early on, he has never been able to handle this - and his way of dealing with it has been to shut it out completely. Don't get me wrong - he's there for me logistically if I really need him; but for the day to day stuff, he's just not there. Okay - enough whining from me. Time to get the kids to bed and make a note to call the doctor to refill my lorazepam! lol!

Thank you all for your support - I can't put into words how much it means to me.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Yes Belle, between lorazepam and us you're covered. Somehow I get the feeling that your hubby is a good guy. He probably is like so many hubbies and just can't express his fears and feelings about your cancer. Sometimes I don't even know what I want or need from friends and family when it comes to my cancer, how could they possibly know? Ah.. I liked my life before when I didn't have to think about all of this.

Good luck with your scan.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

azahar
Facebook Username: shawn.hennessey

Postby azahar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:31 am

My next PET scan is coming up soon too, so I'm there with ya. I've been a nervous wreck the past few days and I know it'll probably get worse ...

I also hear ya about the support thing. But one thing I've learned is to accept people's limitations with what they are able to do and appreciate what they can give me. For example, my housemate is great at coming with me to the hospital for scans, but crap at backing me up when I see the oncologist. I have another friend that is great for that, and another that's great for letting me talk, another that takes me out for lunches ... and of course all the wonderful people I've met here. Best to spread it around and hopefully not overwhelm any one person.

What day is your scan? It's this week now, right?
DX stage IV May / 08
colon resection May/08
Oxi & Xeloda July/Aug/08
open & close Sept/08, peritoneal mets
liver resection Nov/08
6 rounds Oxi/Xeloda Apr-July/09
NED? so far so good...
http://azahar.wordpress.com/ & http://twitter.com/azahar

sallya

Postby sallya » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:15 am

Hi Belle,

I just wanted to wish you good luck. I have my fingers crossed for good results for you!

And, while I am the caregiver and not the one with cancer, I often feel alone with my husband's cancer. It's a hard thing to talk about and I know I have fears and emotions I don't want to burden him with. And he's like your husband - he just shuts it out.

Anyway, I'm sorry. I know it is stressful and can be lonely.

Hang in there, keep popping the lorazepam and hopefully those "things" turn out to be "nothings."

Sally
Wife of "Dom;" dx 7/3/09
Stage IV with 4 mets to the liver and ~25 affected nodes
Colon resection 7/6/09
Ileo 7/6/09
Starting Folfox + Avastin 8/13
www.dominicsally.blogspot.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”