Ambien/Sleeping

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Ambien/Sleeping

Postby klryder02 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi-

Is anyone taking Ambien?

My Ambien bottle says to take one before bedtime, but I am not sleeping straight through the night, and was thinking about taking one and a half.

Is this a bad idea?

I know I should call my nurse before I do this, but she isn't the nicest person in the world, so I thought I would ask here!

I also wanted to know, does anyone else have problems sleeping since cancer has entered your life? Any suggestions??

-Kelly
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Sleepy Time

Ambien is OK

Postby Sleepy Time » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:24 pm

I had a difficult time sleeping the first night of every chemo treatment and took Ambien. I took an entire 10MG pill and slept through the night. I checked with my doctors and they said this was fine. They even wrote me a new prescription when my previous bottle ran out.

If you are still waking up in the middle of the night, you can try the time-release Ambiens. This time-release Ambien will help you fall asleep quickly and continue to sedate you throughout the night.

Sweet Dreams!

eitter

Sleeping

Postby eitter » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:43 pm

Kelly....do you happen to have an ostomy?

I do an ileostomy and it is very hard to regulate any medication I take because of absorbtion that is lost in the ostomy.

I have not slept through the night since I have had an ostomy, last May, even taking sleeping pills and pain meds. It is getting to the point where I need to look into it further.....maybe somebody has some ideas?

God Bless
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:05 pm

No, I don't have an ostomy.

I'm not even sure what that is!

I'm sorry you haven't slept well in almost a year. That really sucks.

Have you tried different brands of sleeping pills? I don't know if that would even help, but that is all I can think of.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.

Chet

ambien

Postby Chet » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:03 am

I take ambien, especially during treatments. I take the regular 10mg ambien and if I wake up, I bite one in half and take that and this usually works. Don't take more than this, though.

If 10mg doesn't help you (if you wake up after you take it), then ask your doctor to switch you to AmbienCR (control release). This pill is 12.5 mg, and it works two ways. First, it knocks you out, just like ambien 10mg. Second, it continues to keep you asleep with a slow release mechanism.

You might feel a bit groggier with ambienCr after you wake up, but it will definitely keep you asleep for a good 7 hours.

Hope this helps.

Chet

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:44 pm

FWIW, I had a doctor tell me that Ambien and Ambien CR are exactly the same forumla - just that the CR was submitted for further tests so the FDA would certify it as a controlled release drug. It sounds like the Ambien CR is a higher potency, so that my account for staying asleep longer.

Anyhow, I don't know if it's true or not, just thought I'd toss it out.

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:46 pm

Ambien vs Ambien CR when a medication is about to become available as a generic drug many manufacturers will get a new and improved version approved. Wellbutrin led to Wellbutrin Sr and that led to Wellbutrin XL all the same meds just different forms of release. Tis leads to the Drs writing for the new and more expensive brand name meds because the drug companies spend a lot of money to advertise these products. Try asking your dr about using Temazapam instead.
The big problem with sleeping meds is that they must stop working when you wake up and as of now that cannot happen. If the med is strong enough to get you to sleep it must be gone when you need to function in the morning. Ambien CR is supposed to help that with that by knocking you out and letting a little of the med trickle out to keep you asleep Does it work ? Probably but not that well. Ask your dr before you increase dosages of these products and remember when you go to the phamacy and we can't refill it because YOU took too many it is not the pharmacists fault.

eitter

Postby eitter » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:05 pm

Well I am still having sleep problems myself and it is driving me crazy.

I have tried Ambien, Sonata and Lunesta(Yuk, leaves a bad after taste). I talked to my oncologist about this problem last week, that's when he gave me samples of Lunesta....but not only did they not work I had a bad taste in my mouth which is a known side effect, so I went on 10mg Ambien. Since I have an ileostomy time release medication do not work well for me, so I do not think CR would work.

Someone mentioned they do not know what an ileostomy is, it is like a colostomy except it is your small intestine coming out into a pouch vs. large. And it is pretty much uncontrolled as far as output goes, you can read more about them on the web, it is temporary though, hope to reverse it in the spring.

I just went back to Ambien 10mg tab, I do sleep from 11-4am now, rather then waking at 1am and 4am and 6am, although last night I got up at 1:30am again.

I talked to a pharmacist yesterday, friend of the family and he suggested what you did, take 1/2 if I get up at 1:30am or 4am again, but no more, so I will try that.

God Bless
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:03 pm

After reading everyone's posts, I looked at my prescription bottle, and noticed that the pills are only 5 mg. So, I split some in half, and have been taking one and a half, and it has been working!!!

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”