HNPCC and considering removal of uterus/ovaries

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sun-sparkled waves

HNPCC and considering removal of uterus/ovaries

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 pm

I'm struggling with this dilema. If I leave them in, I may be sorry in a few years. I'm 46, and my GP is all for removal. Screening is not perfect, cancer in the ovaries can be difficult to detect on ultrasound. Endometrial cancer symptoms usually show up early in the disease.
It's strange looking and feeling so healthy, to have to consider surgery.
My colon cancer surgery was 13 years ago, I thought all this stuff was behind me. Now that I know I have HNPCC, it's like a Pandora's box open. But, I would rather know than be unaware.
I have a genetics counselor who recommends removal. I am a health professional myself, and I know the risks. I guess I would worry a lot less if the risk was removed. I think Laparoscopic surgery is the least invasive. Menopause is on it's way, anyways, which ever route I choose. Any other ladies out there struggling with this dilema? :roll:

tandy24
Facebook Username: Lisa Tandy

Postby tandy24 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:30 pm

Hello,
I am 31 was dx at age 30 with stage 3b cc. My radiation Dr. and my surgeon both said that I should have a complete hysterectomy done at the time of surgery to remove my tumor and reconnect. They said it was a big surgery to have everything done at once but worth it becouse the cancer was very close to my pelvis ect. As I was told by both Doctors I went into menopause very quickly. I am glad I had it done, I figure better safe than sorry and one less thing to worry about. Good luck!!!!!!
God Bless and Believe,

eitter

Postby eitter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:03 am

My case of cancer has been strange and complex, I was finally diag with rectal a month ago after thinking I had Ovarian for 6 months, you can read my story at www.runlizrun.com.

But what I want to say here is this. Even if you remove your ovaries you can still get ovarian cancer. Yes it is true in fact I have met several women that have, during my time thinking I had ovarian cancer.

THis is one of the problems with genetic testing and protein testing, people are removing organs and the reality is if any organ is removed you can still get primary cancer from that organ taken out. Part of the tissue can get left behind and it only takes a very very very small piece to start cancer.

When I had my rectal resection and the tumor removed, I did also have a radiacal hystorectomy, it was all done together.

Just something to think about............
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”