Intro

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sun-sparkled waves

Intro

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:20 am

Just wanted to introduce myself. I had stage 2 cancer in my accending colon in 1994, when I was 34. Had a hemicolectomy and 6 months of 5 FU and Levamisole. I've allways been healthy and couldn't believe I had that disease. Anyways, now I know why I developed cancer. I have the MLH1 gene mutation causing HNPCC. The Genetics Clinic showed me our family tree, and most of the relatives on one side had one or several cancers. Most lived into their 60's, not aware of what I know now. My Mom has had colon ca twice, and just celebrated her 70th.
It's good to know we're not alone.
I just checked out the 2007 colander pics, WOW, well done!!

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:15 am

Its refreshing to know that 13 or so years down the line your here and doing well. That gives great hope to a lot of people out there.

Regards
Nick

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:56 am

Good to meet you, Sigmoid. Welcome.

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:32 pm

I was happy to see your post! I am in the middle of pursuing genetic testing of my tumor to find out if I have the gene mutation that causes HNPCC. I am to see a psychologist before they proceed. I was told that depending on how the results turn out, I could be at a higher risk for other cancers. I was curious to know what you were told and what kind of preventitive measures you might be taking. Is it just that you are now more aware? Are your docs watching you more closely?
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

LA8

Postby LA8 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:02 am

Hi, Sigmoid - thanks for inventing that wonderful telescope my doctor keeps sticking - well you know what I mean. There has been alot of cancer in my family, but I didn't think it could happen to me - WRONG. I am now pushing relatives into getting checked out. I think its absolutely necessary. Welcome to the group!

sun-sparkled waves

HNPCC screening

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:49 am

Hi, The risk for other cancers if you have HNPCC is:
Colorectal 80% chance during your lifetime;
Endometrial (Uterus) 30-60%;
Ovarian 10-12%;
Other cancers (stomach, small bowel, kidney, pancreas, urinary tract) Slight increased chance.
Keep in mind, people with HNPCC do not have a 100% chance of developing cancer.
Recommended screening is colonoscopy every year, starting at age 25.
No clear guidelines for endometrial and ovarian ca screening. I have been having a pelvic ultrasound and Ca 125 blood test every 6 months. My doc thinks I should have my uterus and ovaries removed. I'm 46, feel healthy, and don't know what I'm going to do. Seeing a gyn-oncologist surgeon in 2 weeks. I'm going to ask about PET scan for screening. I'm very thank-full that we have public health care in Canada, and I hope it stays that way.
Cheers, to your health!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”