New Screening Guidelines?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

New Screening Guidelines?

Postby Magnolia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:42 am

I read in my PA journal about an article in the New England Journal citing a study in Poland (how's that for a grapevine effect?) that showed that screening colonoscopy wasn't finding as many "advanced neoplasms" in women between the ages of 50 and 60 as in men. I think it defined advanced neoplasms as including large precancerous polyps, but I'm not sure. At any rate, there was some discussion about reccomending raising the screening age to 60 for women. I was appalled! We want to LOWER the age, not raise it! I talked to my research nurse yesterday when I went in for my appointment and she was freaked too. How could they be thinking such a thing? I was diagnosed by screening colonoscopy at age 51 with Stage III and no symptoms whatsoever. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:58 am

Magnolia I certainly agree with you. I was diagnosed at age 57 during an initial screening exam with Stage III colon cancer too. I also had no symptoms except mild anemia which is common in women.
JAZZ

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:20 pm

JAZZ, You mean I'm not the oldest poster here! And another Stage III to boot! So what's the rest of your story? I was diagnosed 10 months ago tomorrow, did 12 rounds of FOLFOX and I'm still on Avastin under a clinical trial at Georgetown University. I'm NED. Doin' well and feelin' swell.

The idea of postponing screening for women is scary, scary scary. Colon cancer is the #2 cancer killer. Even if it turns out that colonoscopy isn't saving large numbers of women's lives directly, the awareness it generates, over time very likely WILL save lives. And of course, the lives that it does save, like you and me, can not be measured in dollar amounts.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 pm

No, you aren't the oldest poster here Magnolia, age wise or oldest on the colon club forum. LOL I am 52 and have been on the Colon Forum since before it became a forum when it was still Rolling to Recovery. On here since Sept. 1, 2005. I also had Stage IIIa Colon cancer and was on the 5FU with Oxilaplatin. I had 6 months of Chemo with full dosage. Been off the Chemo now for 18 months and still have the effects of the Oxilaplatin in my feet but is pretty much gone from my hands finally.

I think it is crazy to think they want to UP the screening age to 60 as well. All of us here have been working hard to get the word out and get the screening age lowered for heaven sake.

Peg

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:18 pm

I was diagnosed in May of 2003 having finally decided to do a baseline colonoscopy before going in for a hernia repair ( endometrial cancer TAH BSO at 49). Was very surprised after awakening from the colonoscopy and asking - how did I do? - and being told - you're going to need an operation. Funny thing about it, my husband, daughter and son have all had rectal bleeding - I never had any and I ended up the one with colon cancer. They have all been scoped - internal hemmorhoids. I had delayed getting a baseline due to horror stories from people who had had unsedated colonoscopies years ago. Anyhow, my treatment was right hemicolectomy and 26 weeks of 5FU and Leucovorin, for Stage III two positive nodes out of 19. I get CEAs done every two months and chest, abdominal and pelvic CATs every six months. So far so good. :)
JAZZ

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:36 am

Wow, JAZZ, you are a marvel. When I woke up from my scope, my doc said, " I saw something I didn't like." I'm due for another scope and another scan in March or April. My one year mark.

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm on the once a year scope plan since I probably have HNPCC though genetic testing has not located the specific mutation and MSKC said I should follow the HNPCC protocol for surveillance anyway. I am also due next March or April for my next scope. I changed insurance companys. I hope the new one doesn't hassle me about paying for these scopes.
JAZZ

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 pm

SweetPeg, Nice to know there are a few others out there like me. I'm 52 and was Stage IIIc at diagnosis with 6 positive nodes. Had 12 rounds of chemo and I'm still on Avastin for a couple more months. Still a bit numb in the fingers and toes, but otherwise starting to feel more like myself. I took a VERY long walk today. The longest since before chemo. Nice to be out and around.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”