scar tissue adhesions/pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sue kidera

scar tissue adhesions/pain

Postby sue kidera » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:57 am

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with severe pain from scar tissue. Here is my history: I am a stage 3/4 survivor (my met was a lymph node that was inconclusive) I finshed folfox last May with 5 rounds of Avastin. So far all clean scans :D for which I am incredibly grateful. 11 weeks after my original colectomy I had more surgery to remove a small bowel obstruction that was caused by scar tissue adhesions.

A few weeks ago, I started having pain in the abdomen (severe) intermittenly. Xrays show no obstruction, but it presents as if it is being caused by scar tissue. My docs have come to that conclusion. We are all pretty much on a wait and see mode now. The only real option I have is more suregery. (which will create more scar tissue) and I am really reluctant to do that.

Has anyone had bouts of this type of pain and have any tips for getting through it? Any home remedies would be appreciated. My doc has me on liquid diet for a few days and then a soft diet for a little while. Chet (my hero) has told me to drink lots of water. Both of these seem to help a little, plus my heating pad and my yoga breathing. I'm just hoping it diaspears as abruptly as it came. Thanks for your help Sue

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi there,

I am in the exact same boat. Just came out of a weeklong hospital stay for a partial SBO due to adhesions. I have already had 2 bonus surgeries since my original 11/05 surgery for rectal cancer. (Had a TME, appendix, total hysterectomy and temporary ileostomy - then had that reversed 7/05). Had adhesion surgeries 12/05 and 9/1/06. Right now I am on a wait and see regimine. There is a note on my file that I am to go straight to the OR if they come back, which they tell me will likely happen in 1-2 months. (They want me to be actively blocked when they go in so that they will know exactly which adhesion is causing trouble. They will be able to tell because it will be dialated. They already know I am loaded w/adhesions from my previous surgeries.)

The only temporary cure I know is to fast...sipping water if you can. Once the violent vomiting starts you need to get to the ER ASAP - trust me on that one. You can get dangerously sick/dehydrated/hyperventilating from the wretching and need an ambulance ride (speaking from experience here).

I'm still researching and will let you know if I get anything good...

Good luck - adhesions suck.

:)
Cats

sue kidera

Postby sue kidera » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:51 pm

Thanks Cats,
I will also make sure to post if I find anything useful. My first sbo was a biggie. Totally twisted closed. I am really hoping I don't have a repeat (and I'll hope for you while I'm at it). Seems amazing that with all medical science can do they can't figure this one out. Thanks so much for your reply. Sue

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:58 am

I've never had a SBO, but I did have a partial colectomy. I think I had phantom pain for a while. I was feeling pain in the part of the colon that wasn't there, like amputees feel in their missing limbs. Just a theory. My internist said if it persisted we could try Lyrica or Neurontin for it. Ended up I didn't need it.

majai

adheasion pain

Postby majai » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:17 pm

:( ok i have had :( 12 surgs. in 10 years now i deal with a lot of adheasion pain. i take methadone everyday now but the pain is so bad i am meeting with a urgon to have it removed . the methadone is really good for the pain, and has little side effects.

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:55 am

i think i was having some pain too around where my resection was. got an extra week off chemo for the holidays (at 11th round) and it seemed to help and now taking digestive enzyemes to keep the guts in gear since chemo whips out all that good stuff.

best wishes! :D
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”