chemo side effects

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kassina

chemo side effects

Postby Kassina » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:08 pm

My husband is under going chemo for Colon Ca with liver mets. He is getting oxaliplatin. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the side effects? He hates having to eat and drink everything warm.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:00 pm

hi,
i don't think there is much can be done about oxaliplatin side effects it is a nasty drug. i havn't had it since oct 2006 and now after liver resection surgery my fingers and toes went numb. the oxi was living in my liver until surgery and did cause minor liver damage so maybe ask doc for another drug? i am now on 5fu and cpt11 so far no weird effects.

missjv

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:04 pm

I suggest reading online about the drug. The drug company will tell you that you should be ok with cold after day 4 or 5. I found out that I didn't have to eat and drink everything warm,,,,,just for the first 4 or 5 days, which include the days I was being treated. My Oncologist suggested that I try sips of cold tap water after day 5 and see how I did. What will happen IF you can't drink cold is your throat will feel like it is closing up. It doesn't really!!! just gives you that feeling. IF it happens, drink warm water and you will be fine. I found I could drink iced drinks even after day 4 or 5. You still will have the fun side effects of the drug.....numb lips, neck, numbies of the feet and hands. Just keep track of how you are doing on the drug and how long between treatments the numbies last. They went away for me inbetween but they don't for some. Those normally have to have ruduced or drop the Oxilaplatin all together. Just be sure to talk to your Oncologist and tell him/her everything.

Actually, for me, most food tasted better to me at room temperature! LOL I pretty much lived on cold cereals, poached eggs, cool pizza and homemade noodles with beef or chicken!!

Hope this helps you a bit!! Hang in there, you will get through this!

Peg

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Again I may suggest taking some Vit B6 for the nueropathy it sometime helps

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:14 pm

Kassina, I get my 3rd dose of Oxyplatin (with FOLFOX6) tomorrow. I have the same problem, but have found you can have a little bit of cold food if you follow it with something warm or hot to get your throat warmed back up. It also lessens for me after about 5-6 days and I have been getting my fill of cold foods while I can.
Robin

Kassina

Postby Kassina » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:29 pm

I appreciate everyone's input. After alot of research he has decided to drop the oxaliplatin and try the cpt-11 along with his 5fu. He is a firefighter and he wants to be able to work and control as much of his life as possible. This is our second battle with this and the statement "knowledge is power" has never been more true. May God bless all the fighters and caretakers out there, this is quite a battle.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”