Dumb Question - Right side of colon vs. left side?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SlobberDog

Dumb Question - Right side of colon vs. left side?

Postby SlobberDog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Please help me with this surely simple question. In some information I've been reading about HNPCC, they use the terms "right side" and "left side" (of the colon).. is this the same as "ascending" and "descending?" - meaning that ascending = right side and that descending = left side?

Just to be sure that I'm understanding that the terms are from the *patient's view* and not from the outside world, looking *at* the patient's body.

Thank you, and thanks for not laughing :P .

Michelle

Re: right side vs. left side

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:38 pm

Michelle,

Just thought I'd chime in, as our family has had plenty of colon issues lately. You have it correct; right side - ascending, then transverse colon, to left side - descending, if I've absorbed all the info correctly.

Marie

SlobberDog

Thanks!

Postby SlobberDog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Marie. I had not heard/read of the terms "right colon" or "left colon" until I started delving into this genetic and HNPCC stuff. I knew only the "ascending", etc terminology. And knowing how screwy (and/or complicated) things can be in the medical world, I thought I would be better off to ask.

Apparently, a higher % of the tumors found in those with HNPCC are in the "right" (ascending!) colon... at least from what I am reading. I wish I had access to my father's medical records from all those years ago (1987-ish) as we (the kids) were never told "where" his tumor(s) were located. He always wanted to still be "The Dad" and protect us... and my stepmother went along.

In any case, that's in part why I was asking.

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone-
Michelle

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:15 am

If you know what hospital your father was operated on in you can have the hospital that is doing your genetic testing write to them requesting a piece of tumor block. They will give you forms to fill out that you are giving your permission for this to be done. During my genetic testing, I had to track down an aunt's medical records and my fathers from the late 1980s and early 1990s. Some hospitals keep the tumor blocks indefinitely, so there is a possiblity that it may be retrievable. Biopsy reports and operative reports are also kept on file - the number of years depending on the hospital. I hope you can retrieve some useful info. Another place to try would be the MD who treated your father or the oncologist who might still have his old records in storage.
Good Luck
JAZZ

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”