Need your input re: 22 y.o. daughter

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Need your input re: 22 y.o. daughter

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Hello,

I found your very helpful site and need some input. My 22 y.o. daughter is scheduled for a colonoscopy on 1/15 to try and determine the cause of some slight bleeding and persistent, bothersome lower left abdominal pain. The pain has been there, to one degree or another, for months, and she has already had a couple of ultrasounds to rule out an ovarian cyst; nothing unusual noted. She has had a history of extreme lactose intolerance, IBS, GERD, hiatal hernia and has had an abdominal CT scan within the last 4 months. CT showed nothing remarkable and the other things are under control with meds.

This is not her first colonoscopy - she had one three years ago when she had some slight rectal bleeding; only hemorrhoids noted. Her gastroenterologist said, following an exam and occult blood test yesterday, that this bleeding is "too high up" to be hemorrhoids. I am very worried, and wonder what the chances might be for colon cancer to have developed in the 3 years since the first colonoscopy? Her Dr. has mentioned colitis and diverticulitis (I have divert.) but my mind has jumped ahead to cancer, being a mother. She has had no fever, and (for her) very little diarrhea. I have had a couple of early polyps removed (in my 40s) and am checked regularly (none last time.)

(If the colonoscopy is inconclusive re: the pain, I think we will pursue the ovarian cyst theory further; I know that fluid-filled cysts are sometimes not found unless laparascopic surgery is done.)

Any insight, experience will be welcomed.

Many thanks.

Marie (worried mom)

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 pm

i'm not an expert but usually tumors and elarged lymph nodes will show up on the ct scan. If it was exactly a ct scan. i just had an adbominal scan that wasn't in the donut (CT- can't remember what it was) and the tumor didn't show up. i just had my last ct one done a month ago and stuff def. shows up on that scan. they didn't find my tumor till they got to the ct scan. the ultra sound didn't pick it up either. they thought i had gall bladder issues at first (i wish)! if they pick up stuff on the CT then they'll do the PET/CT usually that will show any cancer stuff. so that's a good sign so far.

hope they find out what's wrong with her. I'll say a prayer it's the the big C!

Best wishes,
Paula
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:15 am

I can understand your worry....especially as a mom. I am glad that you and your daughter are being proactive in this and that the doc's are cooperating and allowing a colonoscopy. Waiting for the results is difficult since your mind is going a mile a minute. But either way, when the results come back, you will have answers and if all is clear, then you will know to move in a different direction. The fact that she is already being monitored with a prior colonoscopy and CT scans is a big plus. It is a good thing that you had the know-how to pursue this and not be sent away being told it was nothing due to your daughters young age. The fact that you have some intestinal history will be of benefit since you can play the family history card.
Good luck to you and your daughter!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Re: Need your input re: 22 y.o. daughter

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:08 am

"I am glad that you and your daughter are being proactive in this and that the doc's are cooperating and allowing a colonoscopy."

We have been fortunate in this regard; our g.e. is a very thorough lady who took other recent symptoms my daughter had very seriously and ordered an endoscopy and biopsy on a then-21 year old; turns out she had GERD which had already caused significant esophageal erosion and could have led to cancer if ignored.

We are vigilant about symptoms and follow-up. I am hoping and praying that, with the colonoscopy three years ago, chances of full-blown cancer having developed are likely low, but one never knows. I am grateful for your input.

My prayers and best wishes are with all of you posters.

Marie

Terry Miller

Polyps

Postby Terry Miller » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi Marie,
With no indication of polyps three years ago, it is very unlikely that tumors have developed in such a short period. My 25 year old daughter experienced the same symptoms that turned out to be a few irriated rectal fissures following a colonoscopy exam. With our family history (my mother and myself), any rectal bleeding get's the attention of the doctors. It's a good thing to play it safe. I wish you and your daughter well.

Sincerely,
Terry

Re:Need your input re: 22 y.o. daughter

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks, Terry. That's what I thought re: the time frame for development of polyps, etc., (most likely too short a time) but one's mind goes crazy when your much-loved child is involved. She has hemorrhoids, but the guiac test done last week indicated bleeding "higher up" according to her gastroenterologist. I have a "semi-colon" due to recurrent diverticulitis, so I guess she could have developed diverticular disease, though she's quite young. But - can't take anything for granted, with colon disorders seeming to show up in younger and younger people all the time. The lack of fever, diarrhea, etc., has her dr. scratching her head.

Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes. This is a wonderful site with helpful, empathetic folks.

Marie

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:45 am

I agree that a tumor would be unlikely to develop in three years. She could have an ulcer or something. What kind of contrast did she have with her CT? Some things show up with some contrasts and not with others. I had a pre-op CT that showed nothing and we already knew it was there. (Not to scare you. A negative colonoscopy three years ago is a very good thing. She may have a polyp now, but very unlikely anything more. ) The important thing is that it's being looked into. Whatever it is, it will be addressed. Cancer is unlikely in light of the negative colonoscopy earlier, but even if it is, it will be detected early.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Re: 22 y.o. old daughter

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:42 pm

"She could have an ulcer or something. What kind of contrast did she have with her CT? Some things show up with some contrasts and not with others."

She's had numerous tests this year due to nausea, fullness, etc., and they wanted to rule out gallblader disease, which they did. It seems I remember one CT for which she drank a solution and another for which she had IV contrast (not to mention the several ultrasounds.) She has been on Nexium for most of the last year for her esophagitis and Reglan for the nausea, and actually feels lots better, but for the lower left pain (which concerns her) and the slight blood in the stool (which concerns me!)

I am so glad we have an empathetic, thorough doctor; just want to get to the bottom of this (no pun intended.)

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:51 pm

Good! I'm glad to hear your doctor is staying on this. Keep going until you find an answer. It may be nothing serious, and that would be wonderful, but if it is serious, the sooner you find out, the better.

Re: update on 22 y.o. daughter

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Hello,

My daughter had her colonoscopy today, and, but for internal and external hemorrhoids, all was fine. We had a very surprised gastroenterologist, who had fully expected at least IBD, given her symptoms.

I cannot thank enough all of you who replied to my panicky post. Be assured that all of you are and will be in our prayers.

Marie

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:36 pm

Marie,
I am glad and relieved for you that your daughter's colonoscopy results were clear! Fabulous! Now you know what is the cause of the bleeding...but not for the pain. Has she had her ovaries checked? I know that symptoms of colon distress are similar to those of ovary/uterine trouble. Just a thought.....
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"

Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Re: 22 y.o. daughter

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Margot,

Yes, her gyn. checked out the ovarian cyst possibility with a transvaginal ultrasound recently - nothing. We will likely pursue the possibility of endometriosis next. She has had literally every test in the book except for laparascopic examination - very baffling.

Thanks so much for your concern.

Marie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”