numbness in fingers and feet

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Linda42

numbness in fingers and feet

Postby Linda42 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:36 pm

I've finished chemo and now have numbness in my hands and feet, has
anyone had this?
Thanks, Linda

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi Linda-

Was this your first round??

I just had my 4th round today, and too get the numbness...but mine slowly fades over a week, and by the 6th day or so is almost completely gone.

I go every two weeks, and the part that makes it easier to get through is to think about how this time next week, I temporary go back to normal.

I hope you have this same experience!

-Kelly
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Monique

Postby Monique » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi Linda,

I finished my chemo a couple of months ago and according to my oncologist the neuropathy (i.e. numbness/pins and needles) in my hands and feet could take anywhere from six months to a year to resolve itself. Apparently the neuropathy is the most intense the first two months following treatment-- I know that mine was pretty bad during that time, but I am happy to report that the Oxaliplatin side effect is slowly improving.

All the best,
Monique

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi Linda,
I have been off chemo 8 months. I have to say I still have pretty numb soles of my feet and I am just down to a little of my fingertips being numb now. It can take almost a year. I have started training for a half-marathon and it seems that with all the exercise the neuropathy is starting to go away quicker, but it just may be the time too. Good luck, I just had clean scans at Christmas time. It is worth the numbness.

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 am

First of all, I want to wish you all the best and hope this new year brings improved health and clear scans/blood tests!

I had 12 treatments of Folfox and finished 5 months ago. It was treatments 11 and 12 when the neuropathy intensified and did not fade away. I still have numbness and tingling in my fingers and feet. My fingers are getting better and I can manage fine motor skills better. I still cannot put on jewelry and when I tie things, I have to look at what I am doing since I can't really feel the laces. I also get impulses/vibrations in my fingers especially. When I nodded my head, I would feel a buzzing sensation in my feet but that has faded a bit (very weird). Anyway....it should fade over time and my onco said it could take from 6 months to several years. I am noticing that the cold weather is intensifying my neuropathy. But all in all I have experience improvement. I no longer need oven mitts to get things out of the freezer!
Like suzieh said, I was ready to take on the numbness as a trade off for being rid of cancer cells.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:56 pm

I get my 3rd treatment on 1/8/07 and with the second treatment I really had problems with the cold sensitivity/tingling in my fingers (the winter weather didn't help). I am relieved to hear from some of you that it will eventually clear up. I did have the physician's assistant tell me that it could take up to a year to go away from what some studies show. I was thinking of having them lower the dose since I have 10 more to go and I was afraid of this side effect becoming permanent. I think I can take it knowing I'll eventually get over it. In the meantime, lets hang in there. Being cancer free will be worth it.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:11 am

Linda,

Welcome to the Colon Club and congratulations on your survivorship!

You did not mention what specific chemotherapy you finished. I am correct to assume that you received Oxailiplatin? If so, then yes, it is reasonable that you have residual peripheal neuropathies. I received eight rounds of FolFox4 and the neuropathies subsided in about 75 days. Each of our journeys are unique and I am hopeful that you will find relief.
Keep kickin' a little cancer a@#!

Holly

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:56 pm

I was surprised to see your name pop up below my post since one of my very good friends is Robin S. as well! Welcome to the Colon Club! I believe that there is a correlation between number of treatments and severity of neuropathy. Is anyone receiving Calcium/Magnesium before and after treatment? This is supposed to help manage neuropathy. My best to all of currently undergoing treatment!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"

Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:16 am

I had 12 treatments of Oxilaplatin at full strength. I have been off the Chemo now for 18 months later this month and still have numbies on the bottoms of my feet and did have in my hands but not now. Hands went to just the tips of my fingers for a long time but gone now. My Oncologist told me that IF it hadn't lessoned in intensity, he would be worried that it was permanent, BUT since it is going away VERY slowly, he said it is just because the nerve endings are VERY slow to heal and it could take several years to get back to normal.

I used to go for 3 mile a day walks before the Cancer and haven't been able to do this because of the pain and cramping of my feet thanks to the neuropathy. My Oncologist added calcium on top of my daily multi vitamin and I have also been eating more bananas. Mom got me a foot bath with heat and massage I have used every night since Christmas as well. I have been walking for about 40 minutes a day now and NO CRAMPING or pain!! Not sure if it is the Calcium, potassium or the foot bath. LOL It might just be going away more now since it has been 18 months too, who knows!

I just feel that no matter how long I have it or if I have it for life, I am VERY thankful as I AM ALIVE and here today to talk about it!! I can live with a little numbness if I can be alive to share today.

As Holly says....ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!! I Praise God everyday I get up and step on those numb feet. At least I can feel them huh!!! Have patience, relax, have faith and things WILL get better.

Peg Hugs

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Try taking some Vit B6 it sometimes helps with some types of nueropathy. If that does not help you may need some stronger meds like Lyrica or Neurontin.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:54 am

I finished my Oxaliplatin in October and the tingling and cold sensitivity have resolved. My fingertips and toes are still numb, though. I expect that will last at least through the winter, if not longer. Excercise and keeping warm seem to help a bit. I take some B6, but I don't know for sure if it's helping because I've been taking it all along.

sevenyear

Oxaliplatin numbness

Postby sevenyear » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:15 pm

still have some numbness from oxaliplatin 2 1/2 years ago. Vitamins B6 & B12 help some people-only time has lessened mine.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:08 pm

I agree Sevenyear. I used B6 and B12 and it helped some, but I think the real help is just time. 18 months and still have the problem with the bottom of my feet but at least the hands are back to normal. I guess patience is the key!!!

pete

Neuropathy

Postby pete » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Im coming up on four months off of Oxaliplatin and still having bad neuropathy in my fingers and toes that seems to increase with exercize. I spoke to a nutritiionist about this and she recommended trying Glutamine. Has anyone ever tried this with any success or bad side effects?

MILWAUKEE

Re: numbness in fingers and feet

Postby MILWAUKEE » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:19 pm

:Milwaukee

Hi-

I was diganosed at end of FEB 2009 With Ampulary cancer which had metastasized to a canteloupe size in my liver at that time. I have just come off of Oxiplatin and xeloda for 6 mos. I am 49 and otherwise healthy I do not smoke and had drank socially. My Secondary Liver tumor Liver shrank 50%.

I had a little hair thinning and it is nbow lighter than before. You really cannot notice it.
My fingers and toes are numb. They became more numb after my last cycle.
I am hoping and praying that it subsides. I am feeling really well!
I hope and pray for all cancer patients and survivors.
May there be more survivors!

May God Bless You!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”