New to site - recently diagosed rectal cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mr. Poo

Postby Mr. Poo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 pm

I also had a lower resection back in 2004 without a temporary or permanent ilostomy or colostomy as a result of "a small rectal cancer."

The doctors then checked me every 90 days or so for the first year with a scope and eventually I was told that I would not have to be re-checked for one whole year.

Unfortunately, after this one year break from being examined, my symptoms resurfaced and the doctors found a re-occurrance of the cancer in the very same spot, this time resulting in radiation, oral xeloda and a permanent colostomy 6 weeks later. I am on folfox right now, which began a few weeks after the colostomy operation.

Unfortunately I was not offered chemo immediately following the initial LAR resection even though that clearly stated that they had found a "small amount of cancer" after the original LAR. I often wonder if they made an error by not offering chemo to me way back in 2004 and that maybe I might still have my original bowel function if they had watched over me more closely and offered me chemo at that time . . .

Guess I'll never know . . .

Mr. Poo
I guess things could be worse, eh?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”