my 22 year old daughter diagnosed with stage 3

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
susanz

Postby susanz » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:30 pm

hi everyone. you are all an inspiration! my 22 year old daughter was diagnosed last april with stage 3 colon cancer. she has had chemo and 2 weeks ago had surgery. now she'll have radiation and more chemo. she's doing very well, still attending college!
before she even started her treatment, she spent 10 days in the hospital with a terrible infection and horrible pain. the week before, she had a transrectal ultrasound with needle biopsy to diagnose her cancer. no antibiotics were prescribed before or after the procedure and it seems that the biopsy caused a huge infection in her lymph nodes near the colon. has anyone out there had this procedure? were you given antibiotics? i would really like to know. that infection caused a delay in the start of her treatment and really scared us.
this website is so full of positive people! i'm finding it really helpful! thanks! susan

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:47 pm

Susan,

Welcome to the Colon Club! Keep up your contagious positive attitude and remember that ALL things are possible! You and your daughter and in my thoughts and prayers! I encourage you both to be proactive in the management of your health! This holiday season, I wish you both a long, blessed life and holiday cheer throughout the year!

courtney

shes not alone

Postby courtney » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:07 pm

HEY SUSAN, FIRST OFF, I'M SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR DAUGHTER. I MYSELF WAS 24 WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE 3 COLON CANCER. THEY REMOVED 5 FEET OF COLON AND DID A RESECTION. I WENT THROUGH 6 MONTHS OF CHEMO, AND I ALSO GOT VARY SICK IN THE HOSPITAL (IT HAPPENS QUITE OFTEN). I AM NOW 27 AND STILL CANCER FREE. WHEN I FIRST FOUND OUT I WAS DEVASTATED, BUT ITS A LONG PROCESS BEFORE SHE WILL BE ABLE TO LIVE HER MORMAL LIFE AGAIN. IF SHE EVER WANTS TO WRITE ME, PLEASE GIVE HER MY E-MAIL
ADDRESS. MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU BOTH, THIS DISEASE IS BEATABLE!!! SINCERELY, COURTNEY HAMILTON

E-MAIL: cmemeow27@hotmail.com

susanz

Postby susanz » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:58 pm

courtney, thank you for writing. i was wondering if you had chemo before your surgery? how about radiation? my daughter's tumor was actually low enough to be considered rectal cancer. i guess that's why she having radiation. i wish she would email you or join this website but she is not interested. she is overwhelmed with school and is trying to finish out her senior year at rutgers and graduate. it would be so good for her to meet others who have survived the same situation she's in but she's extremely stubborn! hopefully, in time, she will find this board helpful. meanwhile, i continue to be inspired and informed by what i read here. thanks to everyone...susan

p.s. courtney-what made you so sick in the hospital? just wondering....

etl

Postby etl » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:59 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. Being a parent I thank God everyday it is me with Cancer and not my child so I can imagine how you feel. This site is very helpful. I am 39 years old and I have Stage 4 Colon Cancer. I have had several surgeries, infections complications you name it... But Tuesday will be 1 year since my diagnosis and I am on the road to recovery still on Chemo (for preventative and curative measure). It is not easy but it is beatable like Courtney says! Sounds like you live in NJ? Stay positive... Eileen NJ

margaret Rose

my daughter was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer at 20

Postby margaret Rose » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:31 pm

My name is Margaret Rose and I am from England - my daughter was diagnosed with colon cancer in November 2004 - I have been looking into this site for about 4 months but for some reason or other couldn't quite bring myself to write anything - partly also because no one from the UK had ever written anything! On reading Susan's account of her daughter I felt compelled to write.

I will try and tell you briefly our story. My daughter had taken ill one night in June with severe pain which eventually after many investigtions (but of course no colonscopy!) and stays in hospital they decided it was Chrons Disease - this showed iteself by her getting abscess's in her stomach which is not uncommon in this disease as one of the factors is that the colon becomes ulcerated - after the 2nd bout in hospital with another abscess they decided to operate on Nove 8th and told us that they had removed about 20cm of her bowel (of course if they had know it was cancer they said they would have removed a lot more!) - on Nov 18th we were told the news that she had cancer and all 7 of the lymph nodes they took out were cancerous as well - which put her at Stage IIIc.

As you can imagine this was a terrible shock to us and not at least to the Doctors and Nurses as they had not diagnosed anyone before as young as this. We were soon reffered to a Oncology Dept where in late December she started chemo 5FU and Oxaliplatin (the latter drug was only given to her after much struggling by the Oncologist and eventual funding by an organisation because of my daughter's age - you do not normally get Oxaliplatin - certainly in the UK - unless it has already gone to the Liver)

My daughter actually sailed throuh her chemo which was given via a port in her chest -though on the 8th session of Oxaliplatin she did have a violent reaction so was not given the further 4 she would have had. It is now over a year since she was diagnosed and after one or two scares she is at the moment so to speak 'cancer free' - she is having a CT scan every 3 months and is due one just before Xmas - might wait and get the results after!

I have to refer to Susan's email about her daughter not wanting to get involved with this site or any as my daughter is exaclty the same - I have come to the conclusion it is just that they want to get on with their lives as normally as they can and maybe dipping in and out of these sorts of sites (we were told of Planet Cancer and she did actually get in touch with someone who lived in England age 26 but sadly he died (I may say by the time his colon cancer was discovered it was too late) is not always beneficial. I think maybe if she is doing well in a few months time I will suggest she looks into this site, albeit I know there is so much hope and surviorship to read about.

In finisihing I think Molly what you have done for young sufferes, in particular, of Colon Cancer is absolutely wonderful - and especially reading about all your Calender (Colonder in USA!) 2005 survivors has given me real hope for my daughter especially Erika.

If anyone would like to personally email me my address is hannahmargaretrose@hotmail.com

With lots of love to everyone who reads this and
Wishing everyone a VERRY HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Margaret Rose

PS Our family is being genetically tested and we should know the results soon.

susanz

Postby susanz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:13 pm

eileen, you have no idea how many times i have wished that it could be me going through this rather than my daughter. i'm sorry you've gone through so much, too. sounds like you're doing pretty well now. i do live in n.j. my daughter receives treatment at the cancer institute of n.j. in new brunswick. are you a jersey girl also?
margaret rose, we have so much in common! our daughters have brought us to this message board although neither of them has any interest in joining . i will email you and we can exchange some stories and experiences. i have a feeling we will have alot to talk about. good health and good wishes to all....susan

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:21 am

Susan and Margaret Rose-
Speaking as a young survivor myself (I was diagnosed with stage 1 when I just turned 21), it's taken me a long time to feel comfortable with talking to other survivors. It's a hard road to travel, especially when you're young and feel immortal. You're friends don't understand, they pity you, are afraid to talk to you, don't know what to say. And you....you're left alone with the need to make things as normal as possible. Just forget it even happened to you. Eventually, your daughters will come around and be comfortable with their experiences. It's proabably just a little too fresh. I would not call myself a survivor until my 5 year point was crossed successfully (Nov. 9, 2005). I cried the first and only time I walked the Relay for Life survivor lap. I felt superstitious and thought that I would jinx myself. It's taken 5 long years for me to come this far. Matter of fact, I've wanted to send in an application for the Colondar last year but couldn't make myself do it, couldn't even ask for an application. This year, I think I am going to actually do it. Have the application in front of me!
Let your girls heal emotionally as well as physically and they will come around. And if it looks like they want to talk to someone, they welcome to email me at maggie110@yahoo.com
Good luck!!! And happy holidays!
Maggie

etl

Postby etl » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:57 pm

I also live in New Jersey just came back from Chemo I go to Memorial Sloan Kettering for treatments. If you need to talk or want any help let me know please. You are in my prayers. Jersey Girl..

susanz

Postby susanz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:50 pm

maggie, i can't thank you enough for sharing how you felt at age 21. you have made me realize that i have to step back and let my daughter move at her own pace. i have more insight now thanks to what you wrote. lots of good luck to you! see you in the colondar! susan

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:51 pm

Susan,

What a wonderful mother! I was Dx at 30 with stage IV CoCa. This holiday season, I feel so blessed to share this holiday with my mummy and seven year old daughter! Thank you for you spirit and strength...I have no doubt that your daughter feels your love and support! Remember that ALL things are possible. You both are in my thoughts and prayers!

Big Hugs!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”