New to this site!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

New to this site!!!

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:47 pm

Hello and Happy New Year,
I am new to this site and wanted to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer on September 18, 2006. I am 32 years old. My petscan showed 2 localized lymph nodes involved near my tumor. I started chemo and radiation on October 23 and finished on December 1st. Came through it pretty well except for a very painful behind :( Much better now. My oncologist gave me the rest of December off. Will start meeting with surgeons the week after next. I am meeting with a OB/Gyn surgeon to determine if they can do a full hysterectomy at the time of my resection. I am starting to get really nervous about the surgery (I think the pain and very likely possibility of a colostomy are freaking me out). Could anyone share their experiences with surgery with me???? After surgery I will begin FOLFOX and Avastin for 4-6 months.

Kiersten

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:49 pm

Hello Kiersten,
You came to the right place! First of all, I am sorry that you are going through this but you will perservere! I was not nervous about my surgery. I was so anxious to have the tumor removed that I did not think past that. My recovery was slow and painful (in my abdominal area) but very managable. I do understand your fears of having a colostomy. That is not something anyone wants at any age. I understand that there are surgical procedures that could spare you of one....you may want to look into this more with your surgeon. I completed 12 rounds of Folfox. I wish you the best in your journey.
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”