chemo and weightloss

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

chemo and weightloss

Postby Terry » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 pm

So I had my first chemo today without the oxi. YEAH!!!! Sure makes the visit a lot shorter. Anyway, I was talking to them about weightwatchers. I said I've been on weightwatchers since last friday and stuck to my points religiously and actually gave myself 2 less points than I should have. They told me that after going through with all of this chemo, being thrown into menopause, steroid, etc. it was going to be a lot harder for me to lose weight and I may have to lower my points even more. That sucks, I'll be starving! I'm also quiting smoking on Thursday:( I'll miss my friends:( I mean my cigerettes by that, they are always with me and always give me comfort.

Pray for me or think good thoughts that I can get this unhealthy almost 50 year old body healthy:)

Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Guest T

Re: chemo and weightloss

Postby Guest T » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Good luck Terry,
Both are hard to do. Doing both at the same time may be very very hard. Don't be to hard on yourself. When I quite smoking five years ago, I cut back first, cold turkery is impossible. Being on chemo you may not be able to get the nicotine patch. Alow yourself a certain amount of cig.'s a day for a week and keep cutting back. Say if you smoke a pack a day now cut bak to 6 a day for a week then five and so on. I stayed with that last cig. after dinner for a while but eventually just stopped buying them. If you are the type that must have one in the morning with coffe have that one then decided which one you can cut out later. Put the pack in an out of the way place, say in your car locked in the glovebox then put the keys to the car away in a box on the tip top of a closet so you have to do a lot to get them out of the car.

Good Luck my prayers will be with you.
Toni
Husband Rectal stage 3C 4-06
LAR 4-06
6 weeks Rad & Xeloda
Chemo Folfox 6 mos.
Hernia repair 10-07
NED Until 2-09
folfox/avastin June -09 - Dec-09
Surgery 2-19-2010
perforation another surgery 3-17-2010
Path report shows cancer still active

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Good luck, Terry!

Somebody said once that the pounds you gain quitting smoking are the healthiest pounds you'll ever gain.

I would have thought just the opposite--that you'd be more likely to lose weight during chemo. That's one of my concerns--that I'll lose my appetite and waste away.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

leihei
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/penguindreamz

Postby leihei » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Are your doctors letting you do WW while doing chemo? My doctor told me to do whatever I could to not lose weight, and when I said it's ok if I lose weight due to chemo because I'm about 50lbs overweight, and he said "NO! I do not want you losing any weight". Since then I've lost about 10-15lbs just due to eating less because foods don't taste right and old favorites like Mexican food cause painful reflux. Gonna talk to him about that at my next appointment friday. I've had 8 months of chemo every other week, and my last treatment is end of Nov.
Leisa, 44yo
Dx'd 11/08
Stage IV, ovary/appendix mets, 22/28+
Folfox/Avastin Jan 09-Feb 10
PET/CT 04/09, 09/09,07/10,12/10-NED
Avastin only Feb-Aug 10
2011-CEA rising, 1 + lymph node in pelvis
Folfox/Avastin 06/11-

Dori

Postby Dori » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:45 pm

What about the nicotine patch? Is it contraindicated during chemo?

I used the patch to quit smoking fifteen years ago (it hadn't even been out long back then), and I don' think I could have succeeded without it. The patch made it pretty easy to quit smoking, but I had a ton of trouble quitting the patch! I don't know, but it seems like even if that takes a while to quit the patch, it might be better than continuing to smoke.

Too bad they don't have a yummy food patch to help me lose weight! :)
47 years old
Stage IIIC, high grade signet ring, 14 out of 18 nodes affected
Colon resection 5/15/08
FOLFOX 6/08 - 11/08
Mom to a great 11 (!!) yo girl
Currently NED

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Terri,

All my best to you. Quitting smoking, losing weight, and dealing with chemo all at the same time may be a lot on your plate. I did all three, but not all at the same time. Chemo 5 years ago, quit smoking about 2 1/2 years ago (with chantix), and weight watcher this past year. I've gained a few pounds back (summer heat, kids, etc), but nothing compared to the weight I lost this past year. If it proved to be to much, do what you can and don't beat yourself up. Chemo is #1, quit smoking if you are ready and truly want to quit. I found I ate more when I quit smoking. If the same happens to you, don't worry about the weight now, it can come off later.

I highly recommend weight watchers. I was over 50, well into menopause, and I lost 40 pounds. It didn't happen in the 4-5 mths I expected it to, but over 9-10 months. My PCP told me it's O.K. if I lost pound or less a week, and that's how I did it. Sometimes, 5-6 weeks to lose 5 pounds, but I did lose it. I recommend walking daily.

I have faith in you, and I know you will succeed. If there is anything I can do, let me know.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:57 pm

My doc said I could use the nicotine patch and he also said I could lose weight on weight watchers because your eating healthier. He said don't be surprised if it's harder to lose weight after everything you've been through. That figures. I bet if I was aman I wouldn't have trouble losing the weight! NOt fair!

Thanks for your support everyone. I know it's going to be hard but I'll try as hard as I can. If worse comes to worse I'll have to do only one at a time. Maybe I'll do the weight watchers and cut my cigs back like GuestT said but first I want to see if I can do them both together.

Thanks everyone!
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

blakeswife
Facebook Username: kathy.mair

Postby blakeswife » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Terry, Don't get discouraged. I've heard that sometimes it's easier to "diet" and "quit" together because one distracts the other....

Good Luck with everything and let us know how it goes!!!
DH Stage IV 10/07
Colectomy, Liver resection & RFA, 1/13 LN
12/07-5/08 Folfox/Avastin
7/09 recurrence-Peritoneum
9/09-12/09 Folfiri/Avastin
1/10-5/10 Xeloda/Avastin
9/10-current w/built in breaks

helen098

Postby helen098 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:07 pm

good luck on taking on all your vices at one time
you must be real strong.
yes men loose it easier I have been ona diet for a while with no weight loss and my brother lost 4 pounds in the last 2 months just because I have no junk in the house- not fair
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

justsing

Postby justsing » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Well, pounds just melt off of me on chemo, but they don't seem to be too hard to put back on when I'm off of chemo. I was on strict orders to gain 10 lbs of muscle weight over my summer chemo break because I can lose 14 lbs in a weekend of chemo and I was pretty depleted.

NO PROBLEM! I'm already up 10 and the summer ain't over yet! Most people tell me that I don't look heavier, just "buffer." I gained it by eating more interesting stuff, and playing tennis 3 hours every day. So it is a lot of muscle weight -- I hope!!!

Good luck with WW!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

Cured

Postby Cured » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Terry, You have the strength to get through all of this, and your faith is key. I'll bet the cigerettes will be the most demanding part. Maybe it's better this way, as the nicotine and the chemo combine to make your body feel miserable. :?
Persevere.

The hardest part of dieting is up front as you shrink your stomach.
Several things you can try to help:
-Since we need more fiber, drinking a glass-full of Konsyl before your meal can help to fill your stomach, as well as fulfilling fiber needs.
-Consume foods with a Low Glycemic Index. Studies show that the low-index foods trigger our "full" sensation. We then do not eat as much. Ironically, high-sugar foods do not trigger the response much. See http://www.glycemicindex.com/ I have been enjoying eating lots of fruit this summer which tastes really sweet, and yet I do not put pounds on. Sugar spikes our bodies in a way which may stimulate cancer, so I avoid it.

Also, per Garbovatwin's updates, Vitamin D may help:
Ten health risks from low Vitamin D levels
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/83/32596%20...%20evels.html

Last month vitamin D deficiency was linked to inability to lose weight. Researchers from the University of Minnesota found a linear relationship between higher vitamin D levels and weight loss, combined with a low calorie diet. Shalamar Sibley, MD, MPH, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota concluded from the study, "Our results suggest the possibility that the addition of vitamin D to a reduced-calorie diet will lead to better weight loss.", though more studies were suggested. The findings were presented at The Endocrine Society's 91st Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. this year.
7-18 Stg 4
5-08:Stg 3 Rectal: 6/14 Nodes
Ace Surgn Remvd 90%Rectm,lots of Colon-Full Incision
Ileo Rev'd 6 Mos.
Radian+5fu Pre-Surg
FOLFOX 8 Cyc,1-09
Clear Scope 8-17; CEA 2-18
Glory to God! Healed by prayers of many: for 10 yrs
7-18: tumor pressing brain Remove
Met to lung. CEA 6.9
Folfiri
CEA 4.5 after 1 chemo
8rds CEA 3 1.8, 2.3,1.7 then up:32
12rd Folfiri
Avastin ev 2 wks
Seizure Anti-seiz meds work-no driving for 6m
4-20PET: Lng spots=Chemo
2-21 tumr gth =Folfiri
Radiation 7-22

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 am

Good luck with the smoking. The next surgery you have, maybe you can try my method. After over 35 years of 1-2 packs a day, I couldn't smoke for 1 week and a half after I had my LAR. (The hospital nurses are just totally inflexible about this.) Then, when I got out, it was not so hard to not start smoking again.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”