Why I Hate Erbitux

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
rthornton

Why I Hate Erbitux

Postby rthornton » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:03 pm

My last infusion of that shitty drug was on April 12, more than nine months ago, and I STILL have a just a little bit of the rash. Many people told me that the rash would go away after just a few weeks, but nooooo .... I still have it after more than nine months (although it is much, much less severe than it was while I was actively using the shitty drug ... but still, it's THERE!!!). Should I just resign myself to it and consider it permanent facial scarring? Might it magically clear up in the next couple of weeks? Has anyone else used Erbitux, then stopped, and then their complexion returned to it's pre-Erbitux condition?

I'm starting a daily regimen of Benzaclin (clindamycin-benzoyl peroxide gel) in the morning and 10% Sodium Sufacetamide each night. Is there something else I should try? What I have remaining, now more than nine months after stopping that drug, is what looks like a permanent sunburn with a touch of acne.

I guess this wouldn't seem like such a big deal if I hadn't had a recurrence while using the drug (it was supposedly a maintenance measure, which didn't really work).

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Traybug

Postby Traybug » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:43 pm

My brother was on Erbitux for 7 months. He has been off of it for 8 months and he still has some redness and scarring. He has resigned himself to assume that this is permanent scarring. This is on his face, neck, chest, and back. His skin is smooth, but as you mentioned a little on the red side. Not ridiculous or anything, just different than before. No symptoms of the old nasty rash that existed while on the drug, but it definately left some marks.

Sorry I don't have better news. I guess that is the problem with experimental drugs...they don't really know what the lasting side effects are when they initially put you on them.

Good luck and let me know if you find something that works so I can pass the news along to my brother.

Tracey

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:46 am

Erbitux did suck -- it dried me out something terrible and didn't do much too reduce my CEA. After a four months on Erbitux, my onc. gave me a 6 week "treatment" break and my skin returned to normal within a couple of weeks. However, I started Vectibix on 11/29 and after 2 cycles my skin is worse than 4 months of Erbitux. Yes, THIS is Shitty!!!! Hang in there.

Miss Kim

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”